Sonorama records

tomatamot

I've bought a lot of these releases over the last few years and they're excellently produced. Good sound and nice artwork. OK, not all of them are desert island discs but they're never less than interesting.

I too like the look of the proposed Attila Zoller plus the Third Eye with Gerd Dudeck and Wilton Gaynair looks a good bet.

Edited by Head Man

• 1 year later...

I don't "know" anything but I guess it's the November 25, 1960 NDR jazz workshop session:

http://www.attictoys.com/LuckyThompson/Lucky_Thompson_discography3.php

the line-up would then be

Lucky Thompson, Barney Wilen (ss, ts), Bengt Jaedig (ts), Helmut Brandt (bar), Larry Atwell (g), Roland Kovac (p), Jürgen Ehlers (b), Rudi Pronk (d)

don't know the rhythm section at all, except Kovac a little, Solal/Trunk/Clarke or the like would have been better I suppose... but Jaedig and Brandt are both excellent...

• 1 month later...

it's wonderful!

however, the tracklisting is hopelessly off (and the english liner notes were translated by a German speaking person without a proper sensory for how english works ...) - too bad ... but the disc sounds fine and Lucky T is in amazing form (dig him on #8, no clue what tune it is, too tired to try and figure out the correct tracklist right now).

here's the cover:

618zcs6BhbL.jpg

btw, rhtythm section does a more than adequate job here ... don't think I've ever heard Kovac play as spirited as here, and Larry Atwell's guitar gets quite funky at times, not that great a sound, but some nice ideas and phrasing ... though he does seem to be out of tune) ... b/d (Jürgen Ehlers and Rudy Pronk, don't think I ever heard them before) are fine.

Okay, here's what's clear:

1. This Here
4. Oleo
5. I Want to Be Happy
7. Autumn Leaves
9. Take the "A" Train
12. I Surrender Dear
I would assume #2 and #3 to be correct as well but I'm not sure I have them at hand somewhere to compare. The other tracks are all originals that I'm not familiar with - one of the last two ones sounds very much like a Lucky T. line to my ears though ... I guess I could try and figure out which tracks on the discs are actually those Lucky originals, eventually (in the wrong tracklisting provided, they are: 2. Why Weep, 12. One Last Goodbye, 14. The Mysterioso Mr. X.)
(edited for lousy typing)
Edited by king ubu

• 2 weeks later...

Niko alerted me elsewhere that the tracklisting for amazon's mp3 offering seems to be correct:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00W8OZV8C/

It's mighty good for sure!

Only wish they would have had a proper translator and some quality control ...

Found an excellent detailed breakdown of the session on Noal Cohen's Lucky Thompson Discography site

It's already been updated with the new CD/LP releases

http://www.attictoys.com/LuckyThompson/Lucky_Thompson_discography3.php (look for Nov 25, 1960)

Wow!! this is a killer NDR live in studio session - ranges from trio to octet performances

Edited by romualdo

In my estimation, Third Eye was comparable to the Brown Taste trio (Huydts/Haurand/de Ruiter) with added blokes. Brown Taste is really cool. Wouldn't be surprised if Sonorama reissued that as well.

I have an LP copy, but would get the CD immediately - played that one many times!

• 9 months later...
14 hours ago, Balladeer said:

Excellent news: Sonorama announces new stuff from

Lars Gullin and

Lucky Thompson !

Looking forward to both

100% agreed. These two hold a special place in my collection. There's next to no detail 

Amazon has this track listing for the Gullin.

1. Bluesport
  2. Out of Bush
  3. I Love You
  4. Ablution
  5. The Flight
  6. Fascinating Rhythm
  7. Get Out of Town
  8. The Things We Did Last Summer
  9. I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good

1 hour ago, Clunky said:

fo

100% agreed. These two hold a special place in my collection. There's next to no detail 

Amazon has this track listing for the Gullin.

1. Bluesport
  2. Out of Bush
  3. I Love You
  4. Ablution
  5. The Flight
  6. Fascinating Rhythm
  7. Get Out of Town
  8. The Things We Did Last Summer
  9. I Got It Bad and That Ain't Good

More details on Gullin: 
https://www.kudosrecords.co.uk/release/sonoc94/lars-gullin-the-liquid-moves-of-lars-gullin.html

Extremely curious about Lucky Thompson recording.
Only details on Sonorama HP:: Bop & Ballads (Unearthed Modern Jazz 59-60) Date of Release: May 27

Edited by Balladeer

given that Sonorama has access to the NDR archives, the 1959/1960 range and the title Bop & Ballads, I suspect that we will see material from these two sessions:

Date: April 17, 1959
Label: NDR (Ger.)
NDR Jazz Workshop No. 6

Lucky Thompson (ss, ts), Klaus Marmulla (as), Georges Grenu (ts), Hans Koller (ts, bar), Helmut Reinhardt (bar), Wolfgang Schlüter (vib), Michael Naura (p), Hajo Lange (b), Heinz von Moisy (d)

Date: April 22, 1960
Label: NDR (Ger.)
NDR Jazz Workshop No. 13

Lucky Thompson (ss, ts), Klaus Marmulla (as), Wolfgang Schlüter (vib), Jimmy Gourley (g), Michael Naura (p, cel, or), Hajo Lange (b), Heinz von Moisy (d), Helen Merrill (v)

Noal Cohen's discography gives a detailed overview of these sessions:

http://www.attictoys.com/LuckyThompson/Lucky_Thompson_discography3.php

• 1 month later...