Matthew Shipp on Keith Jarrett

Where was that really interesting thing he said about Anthony Braxton posted?

Yes where? I'd be interested to read that...

I read it on a link from here somewhere.

It was more of a pithy aside in something more general. But it was along the lines that Braxton played up to and cultivated the 'professor' persona because it was the best strategy available to him. I'd like to read it again to get the full picture, but it was definitely an important insight he made. Even if with the fullness of time many might see it from the same perspective as well.

As the person that posted it twice now....ask and you will receive....because the third time is the charm. haha The full interview once again. The part about Braxton is in part 2. Cecil Taylor also is involved.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/matthewshipp.html

As the person that posted it twice now....ask and you will receive....because the third time is the charm. haha The full interview once again. The part about Braxton is in part 2. Cecil Taylor also is involved.

http://www.furious.com/perfect/matthewshipp.html

Thank you!

Pretty funny to read that from one of the most bombastic and grandiose players out there. Much of what he wrote describes himself to the letter.

And it also describes Jarrett. I'd add pretentious to the mix.

Yep.

Although when I talked to Shipp at Viz several years ago he was very gracious. Something I seriously doubt Jarrett would be. Not to mention he wouldn't have been milling around with us serfs to begin with.

too bad Shipp isn't as great as he thinks he is

Not part of your crowd is he?

No - I like many of the musicians that he plays with (maybe especially Michael Bisio who is the bassist in his trio with Whit Dickey), but alas, not all downtowners are created alike - thank jah I have ears and I gotta listen.....

hard to forget his rumbling playing during the first half hour of what could ahve been a great quartet set with Paul Dunmall at last year's Vision Fest. When he finally gave the great tenorman a chance to really play when Shipp *finally* stopped or even reduced his playing to something listenable, the set finished in fine form.

He sounded like a bad version of Chris MacGregor - and the great South African *never* played to excess like Shipp is prine to do.

He's a Bowie fan :)

To paraphrase the interview,

PSF So you like Bowie. Do you tell many people that?

MS No I prefer to keep that to myself.

:g

Lester, I assume.

Ha Ha.

Well he's a bloody fantastic thinker about the music, both socio-culturally and formally. I wish there were ten of him posting here.

Edited by freelancer

as for Shipp - Steve and Dolan - I of course am not impartial; but he did some brilliant work in the several sessions I have done with him - Jaki's Boat, solo from Jews in Hell; multiple things on Blues and the Empirical; and several cuts on our upcoming CD Field Recordings: Jim Crow Variations and Visions of Ohel Tom.

this may not be the place to ask, but someone mentioned in the 'somwhere' thread that the trio gets 80K per gig. is this public knowledge or ?

The article posted in another thread mentioned a crowd of 4,000 at 120 euros a pop, that's about a $634,000 take. So 80k almost sounds low.

This may be an oversimplification, but to me Jarrett took what Bley was doing and injected more melody into the equation, including the gospel influence. And that translated into greater popularity for him vs. Bley. It's interesting to remember that Open, To Love and Facing You were released on ECM within a year of each other. Jarrett hit his peak, IMO, with his 70's American Quartet and European Quartet.