Contacting Hathut

Swinger

Not exactly, but their website has a page (you need to click on the "Addresses for Mail Order" or "Distributors" menu options on the left) with contact information for mail order and distributors in various countries and worldwide: http://www.hathut.com/home.html

Hope this helps.

Their address (non e-mal) is:

Hat Hut Records Ltd.
P.O.Box 521, 4020 Basel, Switzerland

Hope this helps.

Exactly - was posting from the phone before and keeping it short. And now I just searched for some very old mails (I keep being deleted off hat's mailinig list or the providers or the NSA sorts them out as dangerous spam, who knows, after all free jazz is a weapon) and can confirm that's exactly the address and spelling displayed there.

My guess? Never. Same with 75% of the "Upcoming Releases" that have been sitting there for more than half a decade. As it is, he's clearly having a very hard time getting anything put out at all-- new releases have been pushed back twice this year, following a plea for investors in the label. An update is due in August-- we'll see.

• 2 weeks later...

My bad! I didn't pay attention :D

I already got a reply from Werner when I asked about that reissue:

"Hello Arto,

I hope it happens 2014. Thank you for your inerest.
Best...
Werner"
Let's keep our fingers crossed! I'd also like to have that Braxton's Quartet Willisau 1991 and some others as well.
Edited by Swinger

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I sent an email to Werner to have more information about the upcoming reissues of Anthony Braxton Quartet's "Santa Cruz", "Willisau" and "Dortmund", I got his answer today:

I can not give you dates as a lot went out of control this year.
My CD-factory closed after woking with it since 1988.
I had to move the stock to a another place. This involved with high expenses.
I restarted with a new CD-factory, which give signs that they close soon too.
I am now at the third CD-factory within one year!
I know that many people are waiting for these Braxton re-issues.
I hope that one or two of them get the chance to come back.
Best wishes,

Downloads...

Where?

Nowhere now, but that would solve their cash crunch, as well as the need to find a pressing plant. If they're worried about the sound quality of mp3s, they could also offer in FLAC and such. But they could literally have this up and running in a week.

Edited by mjzee

Martin Davidson on his Emanem site states that his labels are not licensed to sell downloads. I am not sure what he means by that but he may mean that the contracts he signs with the artists do not cover online distribution. I wonder therefore if this is not only a matter of preference on the part of labels - Hat in this case - or if the contracts those labels used - and use still - do not give the rights for digital distribution.

The classical label Chandos operates a thriving download site which was opened some years ago to add to their online direct consumer CD sales business. They reported that within months of creating the facility they were doing more business with downloads than with CDs - and they were already very successful with the CDs. Now they sell digital downloads from several dozen labels. The lesson seems to be that anyone not selling downloads is surrendering a significant income stream. So I agree with what you guys are saying. It seems to me that CD-only reissues are perverse and that even where the company wants to continue with CDs a dual CD/download release strategy would help to cover the cost of CD releases and make more such releases possible. If the limitation on doing so is the contracts of course then it can't happen. I wonder if in this case it is contract or preference.

edited to add: I see now I look that Hatology downloads *do* exist so scrub 77.5% of what I just said.

Edited by David Ayers