Tubby Hayes?

Homefromtheforest

But it's a CDR set, as far as I know .... the one I saw (a friend ordered it, I think from amazon.co.uk) was, at least.

Guess the two Proper sets would be good, too - but the first has plenty of early stuff that I'd not view as essential, at least not for a new Tubbs listener.

I'd also look for some of the albums out on Universal's impressed re:pressed series (Mexican Green, Tubbs, Tubbs Tours etc) ... the two Solveig discs are also very nice ... and there's some on Candid - but it's quite a mess, really, with all the cheapo sets around and all their overlap (Avid 2CD set, Flamingo 3CD set, two Propers, the complete Tempo set). The non-PD releases usually are a rather costly affair.

The 'Live at the Hopbine' and 'Live at the Dancing Slipper' releases on Harkit are both worth well getting, if you can find them. Not bad sound quality, fine Hayes and good notes by Simon Spillett. Harkit also did a nice 1960s BBC Foreign Service Transcription session (briefly on LP too) but it was yanked from the market I think.

Edited by sidewinder

"In Scandinavia", "The New York Sessions", and "Tubby's Back In Town/Return Visit" are my favorites, the latter two are with American bandmates. When I first heard him, my first thought was, how come I haven't heard of this guy before. Great British hard bopper.

Good choices. All with first-class rhythm sections, which sadly were hard to come by in the UK c.1960.

Not that sure about "In Scandinavia" yet (recent arrival here), but big :tup for "Down in the Village" and "Late Spot at Scott's".

And also for "Addictive Tendencies", which I bought on a recommendation here ... there's plenty of Tubbs discussion around, I guess a search would yield quite a few interesting discussions!

Not that sure about "In Scandinavia" yet (recent arrival here), but big :tup for "Down in the Village" and "Late Spot at Scott's".

And also for "Addictive Tendencies", which I bought on a recommendation here ... there's plenty of Tubbs discussion around, I guess a search would yield quite a few interesting discussions!

I agree, I think in terms of sheer technical sound quality and performance combined with the choice of repertoire on these (Down in the Village and Late Spot at Scott's) they are probably the best to start with as they are extremely good, not just in terms of Tubby Hayes' ability but also his instrumental versatility. Worth tracking these down on CD or vinyl, but try and get the stereo vinyl.

His Candid release "Tubby's New Groove" is a stunner made during the same sessions that resulted in his classic "Tubby's Groove"

It's taken from original tapes (that were sent to Alfred Lion for a potential Blue Note release) & not a needle drop as is most of the Tempo CD releases (master tapes destroyed)

But it's a CDR set, as far as I know .... the one I saw (a friend ordered it, I think from amazon.co.uk) was, at least.

Guess the two Proper sets would be good, too - but the first has plenty of early stuff that I'd not view as essential, at least not for a new Tubbs listener.

I'd also look for some of the albums out on Universal's impressed re:pressed series (Mexican Green, Tubbs, Tubbs Tours etc) ... the two Solveig discs are also very nice ... and there's some on Candid - but it's quite a mess, really, with all the cheapo sets around and all their overlap (Avid 2CD set, Flamingo 3CD set, two Propers, the complete Tempo set). The non-PD releases usually are a rather costly affair.

my copy is too

Yeah, I second Down in the Village and Late Spot at Scott's. The CD reissues just sound tremendous (tho I'd love to own the Fontana vinyl), whether or not you become an obsessive fan after hearing them.

Mexican Green is a stone corker, too. The Tempo stuff is really nice but I think he came into his own in the '60s (I'm sure many would disagree with that statement, however). Another fine one is this set put out by the late Tony Levin: Addictive Tendencies

The Japanese Fontana CDs of 'Down In The Village' and 'Late Spot..' are pretty well comparable to the Fontana LPs, sonically. Fabulous live recordings.

'Mexican Green' is to my mind his best overall recording. It all came together brilliantly on that one.

Edited by sidewinder

The Japanese Fontana CDs of 'Down In The Village' and 'Late Spot..' are pretty well comparable to the Fontana LPs, sonically. Fabulous live recordings.

'Mexican Green' is to my mind his best overall recording. It all came together brilliantly on that one.

Which of his Fontana re-issues was in mono when everyone was expecting it to be in stereo?....Mexican Green?

Which of his Fontana re-issues was in mono when everyone was expecting it to be in stereo?....Mexican Green?

I think so. It was either that or the other way around i.e. the stereo mix supposedly sounds inferior to the mono mix.

Edit to add: Listening to mp3 rips from the Japanese CD of Mexican Green right now and it sounds pretty good to me.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

His Candid release "Tubby's New Groove" is a stunner made during the same sessions that resulted in his classic "Tubby's Groove"

Yes, that's another wonderful disc! The original one I've got on the Avid set ... I started buying Tubby before the Proper and Tempo boxes were around, so my discs are a mess ... but I was able to find both Re:Dials (Down in the Village and Late Spot at Scott's) and all the impressed re:pressed discs - skipped the one with Kirk and Moody as I've had that in the Kirk Mercury box for ages ... that was my very first encounter with Tubby and I was impressed even though - or even more so as - I hadn't the slightest cue who this guy was, playing darn well in such fast company!

His playing on the Dizzy Reece UK Blue Note album (Blues in Trinity) is excellent, too!

Anyone interested in the last few years of Tubby's career (when he took an interesting turn towards collaborations with the avant-garde) is recommended to get hold of the Splinters 'Split The Difference' disk on Reel Recordings and the Ian Hamer 'Acropolis' 2CD on Jasmine.

Late Spot, Down in the Village, Return Visit are all on the second Properbox set 'Little Giant Steps' together with lots of other stuff.

My own personal view is that anything by Tubbs is worth investing in, particular favourites at this moment are 'Tubby's New Groove', the two Savage-Solweig archive releases, 'Addictive Tendencies' and the Properbox 'Little Giant Steps'.

Let's hope that Simon's biography of Tubbs gets a publisher soon, he sent me a copy to look at and it's a riveting read.

• 2 years later...

Just finished a couple of viewings of the new Tubby Hayes video documentary - 'A Man In A Hurry', put out by Mono Media.

About 55 mins so obviously they have TV viewing in mind (BBC4?). It is a pretty good potted history of his life, with some fascinating rare film footage (Tubby with Charlie Chaplin on film, BBC footage with Ella Fitzgerald, rare late footage filmed in Ronnies etc) and some good interviews e.g with Spike Wells, Mike Horovitz and the late Jeff Kruger, who each provide some very telling reminiscences. Simon Spillett is in the anchor role as interviewee, of pulling the whole thing together and predictably he does a fine job.

Its just a shame it couldn't have been a bit longer or have a few more extras but, can't complain. Makes a good supplement to the Simon Spillett bio and a fitting tribute on what would have been his 80th year. Recommended !

Edited by sidewinder