mary halvorson

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/mary-halvorson-musicians-show-wednesday-july-31-2013-6pm

Tune in wednesday night from 6-9pm as we welcome avant-garde guitarist-composer Mary Halvorson for a live interview on the weekly Musician's Show. A Boston native and graduate of Wesleyan University and The New School, Mary has been active in New York since 2002 and leads/co-leads a myriad of bands with musicians including Anthony Braxton, Jon Irabagon, Tomas Fujiwara, and more

Been enjoying it. Great sounds.

isn't mary a swingin' peach, and so nice? a few months ago during a late night (3am ) jam at small's, mary sat in at the steinway with the cats for perhaps an hour-luv her bopping!!!!!!!!!!!!

She plays piano too?

I will buy anything she is involved with and go see her whenever I can. I have never seen her on piano. Her site only lists Smalls listed once in the last 16 months. It's also the only thing on Smalls FB. Really doesn't prove anything if she was sitting in on a late-night jam. She does channel hard bop on guitar @ times.

Thursday, January 10th @ Smalls (183 W. 10th St, NYC) 9:30pm Jeff Williams Group

Jeff Williams (drums), Duane Eubanks (trumpet), John O’Gallagher (saxophone) & Joe Martin (bass) w/ special guest Mary Halvorson (guitar)

Edited by Blue Train

I will buy anything she is involved with and go see her whenever I can. I have never seen her on piano. Her site only lists Smalls listed once in the last 16 months. It's also the only thing on Smalls FB. Really doesn't prove anything if she was sitting in on a late-night jam. She does channel hard bop on guitar @ times.

Thursday, January 10th @ Smalls (183 W. 10th St, NYC) 9:30pm Jeff Williams Group

Jeff Williams (drums), Duane Eubanks (trumpet), John O’Gallagher (saxophone) & Joe Martin (bass) w/ special guest Mary Halvorson (guitar)

Nice.......but sooooooo serious!

Anyone know where this was shot?

Nice.......but sooooooo serious!

Anyone know where this was shot?

That was painful ... just painful.

Some of you cats here dig this shit? Listen to Bird, Bud, Lester to know what it was really about ... this is just childish fantasy.

Q.

Fantastic drum solo!

Some of you cats here dig this shit? Listen to Bird, Bud, Lester to know what it was really about ... this is just childish fantasy.

I thought it was pretty wonderful.

And though I can't speak for the others, I have listened to Bird, Bud, and Lester and dig the shit out of them, too.

The only thing childish here is your inability to hear what's going on in that piece and acting as though its everyone else's fault.

Q.

À chacun son goût. I have listened to those posted and a great deal more. I like them as well.

Edited by Blue Train

I haven't been knocked out by her own leader dates, but a few years ago at the Chicago Jazz Festival, as a member of the medium-large ensemble that Mike Reed assembled to play some rediscovered/reassembled music by Sun Ra, Halvorson was on fire.

I saw that. It was the 2011 Festival. The group is called Living by Lanterns and they released a recording.

http://www.cuneiformrecords.com/bandshtml/livingbylanterns.html

There are a few videos of them up on youtube. This is from the Festival.

The one which shows Mary the most.

Edited by Blue Train

I'm definitely a fan of Halvorson, but i'm finding that her flavour is so strong that it's putting me off albums that she appears on. I've been really enjoying Jonathan Finlayson's Moment & The Message, and looking for other records that feature him i thought about finally pulling the trigger on a Tomas Fujiwara & The Hook Up album. Listening to the samples though Halvorson's sound is so unique that it just tends to dominate... wouldn't be a problem if i couldn't get enough of her but i'm finding that i can and have had enough of her, at least for the time being. I haven't had this problem with the Braxton records she appears on for some reason or other stuff i've heard in the past... anyway, just thinking aloud... maybe i just have Halvorson fatigue... i think i'll stick to her leader dates for the time being, i love her compositions.