the most beautiful melody in the world?

Folk is something of an unexplored land for me, but there are a couple of folk tunes I love, the main one being "Annie Laurie". I heard a Jimmy Forrest (I think) version which was nice, but the version which did it for me was the one on this LP:

mG0TcOqAQrZWOflgSAAVvGg.jpg

Don't recall seeing them at Sidmouth!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folk is something of an unexplored land for me, but there are a couple of folk tunes I love, the main one being "Annie Laurie". I heard a Jimmy Forrest (I think) version which was nice, but the version which did it for me was the one on this LP:

Think they did Cropredy that year........

So that's where Richard Thompson got that beret.

richard-thompson-the-lowry-10-3-13-inset

So that's where Richard Thompson got that beret.

richard-thompson-the-lowry-10-3-13-inset

:smirk: Maybe somewhere in Communist Russia, there was a private wearing an Afghan coat....

Thinking of folk, there's a tune The Dark Island which I'd count as one of the most beautiful from Scottish lps played by my parents...

Internet search brings up Lyrics - David Silver, Melody - Iain MacLachlan and the fact it was popularised as theme tune to a radio serial in the early 60s

'Ashokan Farewell' - sounds like a trad tune but was written in the 1960s - lovely tune used in the series on The Civil War (US version). It seems to have picked up a lot of recordings since.

I always find 'Midnight on the Water' very affecting - it's described as a Texas waltz though you can never be too sure where these things come from - early 15th C Worcestershire or the marketing department of a 1960s Taco merchant. I first heard it in a vocal arrangement (words by Ron Kavana) done by Waterson Carthy. Its one of those tunes that just comes in waves and you never want it to stop.

• 1 month later...

I find it very hard to name just one beautiful melody, since I have many favourites. When I would have to name one, this one comes to my mind. I think maybe since when I heard this rendition, this desire suddenly came over me to be able to sing with just as much emotion as this horn.

Nature Boy - Jon Hassell and Ronu Majumdar Edited by page

• 2 months later...