the most beautiful melody in the world?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny. While I wouldn't consider I Am The Walrus a beautiful melody, I can dig the lurching, grinding factor involved.

It's like sonic waves on the beach that just keep digging away in a rather sinister fashion.

See: Born On a Bayou.

Yeah, I enjoy all kinds of music, and have nothing in particular against "I Am The Walrus" (although between that and "Born On The Bayou", I'll take the latter). I also like chocolate, but that's not a beautiful melody either. :)

The verse of Stardust, which Carmichael composed years after he composed the familiar chorus.

Some of the most beautiful melodies depend, to me, on who played them and how. Several King Oliver and Jelly Roll Morton pieces, for example, or the At The Window version of a Jimmy Yancey blues - he also recorded it under two other titles.

The verse of Stardust, which Carmichael composed years after he composed the familiar chorus.

Some of the most beautiful melodies depend, to me, on who played them and how. Several King Oliver and Jelly Roll Morton pieces, for example, or the At The Window version of a Jimmy Yancey blues - he also recorded it under two other titles.

sinatra recorded just the verse around 1960 for reprise with a gorgeous don costa arrangement and huge orchestra on the album sinatra and strings . that version stopped me in my tracks when i heard it first in a bowling alley in 1961. it still does.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yc0gVEdYEiE

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I use the word "changes" in the jazz sense to mean chord sequence.

I know - but many other musics rely on interesting chord sequences (maybe not Cuban!). Kern's tunes are famous for their intricate chord chains - one of the reasons they are used quite a bit in jazz. Is it the melody of 'All The Things You Are' that pleases the ear or the chord sequence?

Edited by A Lark Ascending

The Andante cantabile from Rachmaninoff's Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini

The Intermezzo from Mascagni's Cavalleria rusticana

Meditation from Massenet's Thais

Richard Rodgers's You'll Never Walk Alone, Something Wonderful, This Nearly Was Mine, If I Loved You

George Gershwin's Someone to Watch Over Me, Isn't It a Pity?

I use the word "changes" in the jazz sense to mean chord sequence.

Is it the melody of 'All The Things You Are' that pleases the ear or the chord sequence?

It's the chord sequence that pleases me. Chop the melody statements off and the magic's still there.

I always loved "Autumn in New York" whether played or sung.

Me also. For lots of very personal reasons this is my my favourite version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GYrzT4Los

PS I know this has been covered before but how do you imbed pictures from YouTube?

So why does mine end up looking like this then?

Edited by Head Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59GYrzT4Los

Ah, so you post the link directly into the blank area rather than post it using the "link" symbol.......I see :huh:

Thank you, Mr Sangrey.....and you too Mr Kart.

Edited by Head Man