what are image extensions? (which are not allowed)

Mike Schwartz

If I had to guess...are you pulling the first images from Google search results? Those have a file format specific to Google (and are not, say, jpg). After rejection, if you're then clicking through to the actual originating webpage, the image there is a jpg.

Yes.

And there are also some more "exotic" image types that are not allowed (for reason which I do not know). But jpgs, JPEGs, gifs, are all ok.

otoh, bitmaps (.bmp) are reasonably common, yet are not allowed, and again, the reason for that I do not know.

I suspect bitmaps are forbidden because they're bloody huge compared to the others.

What gets me with that is that you get this error message and it almost invariably happens when I've posted eight or nine images - and you don't know which one is the problem! Or how many problems there are. And they're all .jpg! I don't think it's really the image extension; it's that the board software sees the funny structure of some of these Google search addresses as having an extension that starts somewhere in the middle of the address.

MG