BFT 112 Reveal

webbcity

Here it is folks...Most of these have been ID'd in one form or another, but here is the full info, personnel, etc. in one place. And there are still a few surprises to be revealed. There ended up being a few different mini-themes to this BFT-- (1) Harold Land, (2) Chicago/the AACM, and (3) Delmark Records. Here we go...

1. Harold Land - “Outlandish” (Land)

from Black California (Savoy)

April 25, 1949

Harold Land (tenor); William Doty (alto); Froebel Brigham (trumpet); Russell B. Campbell (trombone); Fred Jackson (piano); David Dyson (bass); Leon Pettis (drums)

R-3139153-1331661844.jpeg

I have this on the 2 LP pictured above, but it has been reissued in a few different places. This is the earliest Harold Land that I know of on record...there are 4 tracks from this group and all are outstanding. Wish there was more! I got into Land's playing initially through his incredible work with Bobby Hutcherson in the 60s and 70s. Not long after that I continued exploring, trying to pick up everything I could find, and was pretty well blown away when I first heard this-- not only because it is so different from anything else in his catalog but because it is so damn killin!!

2. Harold Land - “Chocolate Mess” (Ndugu Chancler)

from Damisi (Mainstream)

Harold Land (tenor); Oscar Brashear (trumpet); William Henderson (elec. piano); Buster Williams (bass); Ndugu Chancler (drums)

R-2569816-1290956773.jpeg

Land's Mainstream recordings are among my favorites, particularly the album "Choma (Burn)". I wanted to put on something without Hutcherson though, purely because I thought he would be a dead giveaway. Love this track though. As Thom Keith pointed out, it features another very underrated musician-- Oscar Brashear on trumpet.

3. Gerald Wilson Orchestra - “The "IT's" Where It's At” (Harold Land, arr. Wilson)

from Live and Swinging (Pacific Jazz)

Gerald Wilson (conductor); Al Porcino, Alex Rodriguez, Charles Tolliver, Dick Forest, Gary Barone, Larry McGuire (trumpet); Anthony Ortega, Ray Bojorquez (alto); Hadley Caliman, Harold Land (tenor);

Howard Johnson (bari, tuba); Don Switzer, Lester Robertson, Mike Barone, Thurman Green (trombone); Phil Moore III (piano); Jack Wilson (organ); William "Buddy" Woodson (bass); Carl Lott (drums)

R-1136757-1204407500.jpeg

The third and final cut in the "Harold Land" set, this time in the context of the great Gerald Wilson Orchestra. This is one is came across relatively recently (last year sometime) and it knocked me out. This is a Land composition I hadn't heard before...love the tune, and Land's performance on it. Also of note: Charles Tolliver!! His track "Paper Man" is on this album too.

4. Joseph Jarman - “New Prayer for Jimbo III” (Jarman)

from LifeTime Visions for the Magnificent Human (Bopbuda Music)

Joseph Jarman (soprano); Myra Melford (piano); Rob Garcia (drums)

R-2038083-1260105029.jpeg

And here we have one of my absolute favorite releases of recent times...though not a very well-known one. This was recorded live at the Vision Festival in 1998 and 1999. Thom, you are no doubt slapping yourself in the forehead right now. :) It seemed like a lot of you dug this track...if so, I highly recommend seeking it out, the whole thing is fantastic. Only thing I will mention is that Jarman does some singing/chanting on a couple of the tracks which I really like, but is not everyone's bag. The first time I went to Chicago was I think shortly after the release of this CD. I heard Jarman play with Robbie Lynn Hunsinger, Tatsu Aoki, and Avreeayl Ra at the Chicago Cultural Center. They did an amazing rendition of the title track from this CD. It was one of the great musical moments in my life.

5. Chico Freeman - “Conversations” (Freeman)

from Morning Prayer (Whynot)

Chico Freeman (tenor); Henry Threadgill (bari); Muhal Richard Abrams (piano); Cecil McBee (bass); Ben Montgomery (drums)

Douglas Ewart and Steve McCall also appear on this album, but I don’t hear them on this track.

R-2509931-1287935557.jpeg

I love this whole album but this track in particular is a killer. Threadgill's solo especially is a highlight for me (not to mention his signature playing on the head of the tune). This was reissued a couple years back on Candid with their other "WhyNot" reissues, which is how I heard it-- had not come across it before that point. Highly recommended.

6. Prince Lasha Quintet feat. Sonny Simmons - “Green and Gold” (Lasha/Simmons)

from The Cry (Contemporary)

November 21, 1962

Prince Lasha (flute); Sonny Simmons (alto); Gary Peacock, Mark Proctor (bass); Gene Stone (drums)

R-1350705-1272282380.jpeg

A lot of you got this one. This album is chock full of great tunes and playing, and I love the two basses of course. This one has gotten a little more play at my house than the better known "Firebirds" on the same label, but saying that reminds me that I should go back and check out the other one again. I like pretty much everything I've heard from this duo. Somehow Simmons on his own has never clicked with me fully, but with Lasha it's a different story. Awesome stuff.

7. Jackie McLean - “The Collective Expression” (McLean)

from Rhythm of the Earth (Antilles)

Jackie McLean (alto); Steve Davis (trombone); Roy Hargrove (trumpet); Steve Nelson (vibes); Alan Jay Palmer (piano); Nat Reeves (bass); Eric McPherson (drums)

R-4375193-1363203280-2249.jpeg

Aha! Kudos to Ronald for getting this one. I'll admit it made me kind of happy that it took a little while...I expected people to recognize McLean right away, but maybe to be less sure about the band here. I think this was actually the first McLean album I bought, right around the time it was released. I was still a relative newbie to jazz. A few years prior I was looking at colleges and had auditioned for McLean at the Hartt School of Music, but funnily enough, I didn't know who he was yet! Which in retrospect was a really good thing because I would have been terrified. Even though I didn't end up going to Hartt (possibly a mistake), he was really cool in the audition (and I did well too :) ). So there's something special about this album for me...I knew I wanted to include something from it, and there were several possible contenders. McLean is in top form, the band is cookin' and at the same time one of the things I like most about this album is the tunes-- there is some top-notch writing here. Not sure if Alan Jay Palmer is still around, but he wrote some fabulous stuff for this record, and McLean's contributions in that department are stellar also. And it sounds like a 60s Blue Note record (Van Gelder was involved in recording). Highly recommended!

I will post the rest soon, but it may not be until tomorrow...stay tuned!

Interesting reveals so far. to answer your question, Alan Jay Palmer is still around. I think he is teaching somewhere, but occassionally he comes to Hartford to play. Most recently in May he participated in a Jackie McLean legacy band performance in Hartford that also featured Rene McLean, Josh Evans, Steve Davis, Gary Bartz, Steve Nelson, Nat Reeves, Ronnie Burrage and Neil Clarke. Interestingly, they focused on music from some of McLean's later recordings such as "rhythm of the Earth". Palmer's son is a drummer who I think is at the Hartt school now and plays around the area.

Here it is folks...Most of these have been ID'd in one form or another, but here is the full info, personnel, etc. in one place. And there are still a few surprises to be revealed. There ended up being a few different mini-themes to this BFT-- (1) Harold Land, (2) Chicago/the AACM, and (3) Delmark Records. Here we go...

1. Harold Land - “Outlandish” (Land)

from Black California (Savoy)

April 25, 1949

Harold Land (tenor); William Doty (alto); Froebel Brigham (trumpet); Russell B. Campbell (trombone); Fred Jackson (piano); David Dyson (bass); Leon Pettis (drums)

R-3139153-1331661844.jpeg

I have this on the 2 LP pictured above, but it has been reissued in a few different places. This is the earliest Harold Land that I know of on record...there are 4 tracks from this group and all are outstanding. Wish there was more! I got into Land's playing initially through his incredible work with Bobby Hutcherson in the 60s and 70s. Not long after that I continued exploring, trying to pick up everything I could find, and was pretty well blown away when I first heard this-- not only because it is so different from anything else in his catalog but because it is so damn killin!!

Oh goodnesssssss!

You have some buying to do, Tim.

517i9p4dVrL._SY300_.jpg

Jimmy Liggins & his Drops of Joy - Specialty

The first 5 sessions (10 tracks) on this CD were done between 9 Sept 1947 and 30 Dec 1947 and all feature Harold on tenor. Interestingly, they also feature John F 'Fred' Jackson on piano (first session only) and Leon Petties on drums.

(Jimmy, a guitarist, was Joe Liggins' brother, by the way).

I nearly bought that 'Black California twofer several times. Sorry I didn't.

MG

Interesting reveals so far. to answer your question, Alan Jay Palmer is still around. I think he is teaching somewhere, but occassionally he comes to Hartford to play. Most recently in May he participated in a Jackie McLean legacy band performance in Hartford that also featured Rene McLean, Josh Evans, Steve Davis, Gary Bartz, Steve Nelson, Nat Reeves, Ronnie Burrage and Neil Clarke. Interestingly, they focused on music from some of McLean's later recordings such as "rhythm of the Earth". Palmer's son is a drummer who I think is at the Hartt school now and plays around the area.

Thanks Ronald, I thought you might know the story here. Glad to hear that he is still playing!

Oh goodnesssssss!

You have some buying to do, Tim.

517i9p4dVrL._SY300_.jpg

Jimmy Liggins & his Drops of Joy - Specialty

The first 5 sessions (10 tracks) on this CD were done between 9 Sept 1947 and 30 Dec 1947 and all feature Harold on tenor. Interestingly, they also feature John F 'Fred' Jackson on piano (first session only) and Leon Petties on drums.

(Jimmy, a guitarist, was Joe Liggins' brother, by the way).

I nearly bought that 'Black California twofer several times. Sorry I didn't.

MG

Oh man...thank you! That is what I am looking for. Must add to the list! :) Funny, I have heard of this band before but didn't realize Land was involved.

On tenterhooks about #12...

MG

Coming your way momentarily... :)

And, continuing from where we left off...

8. Jodie Christian - “Chromatically Speaking” (Christian)

from Rain or Shine (Delmark)

Jodie Christian (piano); Roscoe Mitchell (soprano); Paul McKee (trombone); Larry Gray (bass); Ernie Adams (drums)

1186958.jpg

This is a fun whirlwind of a tune. I’d seen Jodie Christian’s name around in the Jazz Record Mart newsletter and Delmark catalogs for years, and always wondered. I picked this up at JRM in Chicago last year and it’s a pretty interesting album. Very schizophrenic style-wise, but Christian plays all styles with confidence. He covers ballads, straight ahead stuff with vocals, avant-garde, post bop...and of course Roscoe Mitchell’s appearance here was of interest to me too. He’s played on a number of Christian’s albums. A lot of you liked the trombone solo. I’m not familiar with Paul McKee apart from this record.

9. Muhal Richard Abrams feat. Malachi Favors - “J.G. (Dedicated to Johnny Griffin)” (Abrams)

from Sightsong (Black Saint)

October 13-14, 1975

Muhal Richard Abrams (piano); Malachi Favors (bass)

363110muhal_abrams_sightsong.jpg

More from the AACM (for those keeping score, we’ve already had Jarman, Freeman, Threadgill, more Abrams, Christian, and Mitchell)...and there’s more to come on the next 2 tracks. Ronald guessed this one correctly. Everything on this album is great, but this particular tune always stood out to me...I find the head very catchy.

10. Ari Brown - “Oh What a World We’re Living In” (Brown)

from Venus (Delmark)

Ari Brown (tenor); Kirk Brown (piano)

1306209303_d3bc63622ff5a7300a4c4ceca3a33

Yes, the one and only Ari Brown. Truly a talent deserving wider recognition if there ever was one. Saw him at the Hyde Park Jazz Festival in Chicago last year and it was one of those performances that just lifted the audience right off the ground...it was a great night. Ari is the real deal.

11. Nicole Mitchell’s Black Earth Ensemble - “February” (Mitchell)

from Black Unstoppable (Delmark)

Nicole Mitchell (flute); David Boykin (tenor, percussion); Jeff Parker (guitar); Tomeka Reid (cello); Josh Abrams (bass); Marcus Evans (drums)

MI0000006065.jpg

I’ve been getting acquainted with Mitchell’s music over the last several years and have become a big fan. Though I’ve never seen her perform live, the first recordings I’ve heard were live recordings from various venues in Chicago and they really blew me away. For some reason when I went to check out her earlier studio albums, they never quite clicked with me. The more recent stuff on Delmark has, for me anyway, better reflected her incredible talent. As a performer and composer, she’s a force to be reckoned with.

12. Ray Brown - “Bric A Brac” (Brown)

from This is Ray Brown (Verve)

Ray Brown (bass); Jerome Richardson (flute); Oscar Peterson (organ); Herb Ellis (guitar); Osie Johnson (drums)

ray-brown-this-is-ray-brown-533531.jpg

This is an old favorite. Ray is my man! It’s funny how these things go...some of the tunes that I never expected people to guess were guessed early on, and this was one that I thought for sure people would get quickly. Yes, it’s Oscar Peterson on organ which is the tricky part, but I really expected that someone would ID Ray. I don’t know if this album is currently in print...I have a Japanese LP reissue of it from the 80s, that I had signed by Mr. Brown himself somewhere in the 90s. He was and is a huge influence on my playing. He swings like nobody else and his solos are second to none. I don’t actually think this is one of his best albums but it sure has some great moments.

13. Kelly Shepherd - “The Beauty of Simplicity” (Eric Kennedy)

from The Beauty of Simplicity (Somerset)

Kelly Shepherd (alto); Eric Kennedy (vocal/drums); Richard Wyands (piano); Paul Brown (bass)

kellyshepherd_large.jpg

I have to confess I am not 100% certain of this lineup, except that I do know it is Eric Kennedy on vocals and drums. Not totally sure about the piano and bass. That’s because I only have the download version of this from CDBaby and they give no lineup info so this is an educated guess based on something I found elsewhere online. So I don’t know a lot about these guys, but I think this tune is absolutely beautiful and I had to include it.

BONUS TRACKS

1. Jack Bruce - “Sam Enchanted Dick (Medley: Sam’s Sack/Rill’s Thrills)” (Bruce/Heckstall-Smith)

from Things We Like (Polydor)

recorded 1968

Jack Bruce (bass); Dick Heckstall-Smith (saxophones); John McLaughlin (guitar); Jon Hiseman (drums)

61PU67V18NL.jpg

The weird thing here is that some releases of this album identify the first part of this tune as "Sam Sack" and credit it to Milt Jackson, but it is not the same tune...I’m fairly certain that this is taken from a Sam Jones thing, but I can’t place it at the moment. In any case, this album in my opinion is one of those rare occasions where someone who is known as a rock player can actually pull off the jazz thing well. But when one further investigates Jack Bruce one finds he is most definitely not just a "rock" musician. I absolutely love Heckstall-Smith’s playing on this album, and this track in particular.

2. Universal Jones - “Takin’ Care of Business” (Pendarvis/McDaniels)

from Vol. 1 (Verve)

Eugene McDaniels (lead vocal, acoustic guitar); Sister Charlotte (vocals, percussion); Maurice McKinley (drums, percussion); Bob Woos (guitars, bass); Leon Pendarvis (bass, elec. piano, vocals); Joe Dupars, Joe Gardner, Thad Jones, John Mosley (trumpets); Garnett Brown, Bob Greivell (trombones); Pepper Adams (bari); Jerry Dodgion (alto); Andy Gadsden (tenor); Billy Harper (tenor); Carol Kaye (bass); Harry Whitaker (Fender Rhodes)...also more background singers and strings incl. Milt Hinton on bass

Universal+Jones+++Vol+1.jpg

This tune is just a total blast. My path to McD was via Bobby Hutcherson’s “Now!”, then “Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse”. This one has never been reissued on CD and has been out of print for years, which frankly, sucks. But it is easily worth the $30 on Ebay. Eugene McDaniels also just happened to live in my little town of Kittery, Maine, up until his passing a couple of years ago. I spoke with him a few times and he was quite honestly one of the most genuine, warm, present, and generous people I’ve met. He's also one of my all-time favorite singers and musicians. I don’t know the exact personnel on this particular tune, there are lots of people on this album and I’ve listed many of them above. The real thing I want to know is why was there no "Vol. 2"?

...and that's all, folks! Thanks for playing!

Well, so it WAS Oscar Peterson; I had half a feeling, because it sounded like a Verve gig. I've got him on organ with Roy Eldridge on the Eldridge Mosaic box but, as I said in the discussion thread, you can't really recognise someone who's playing the 'wrong' instrument because they don't have their usual style (or maybe not ANY style).

Well, that was interesting. Thanks Tim.

MG

Well, so it WAS Oscar Peterson; I had half a feeling, because it sounded like a Verve gig. I've got him on organ with Roy Eldridge on the Eldridge Mosaic box but, as I said in the discussion thread, you can't really recognise someone who's playing the 'wrong' instrument because they don't have their usual style (or maybe not ANY style).

Well, that was interesting. Thanks Tim.

MG

I do think that's generally true, though if you go back and listen to that track again knowing that it's Oscar, I guarantee that you'll recognize many of his signature licks and his style. Sounds like you already knew it on some level. :)

So, "Sightsong" is now on my neverending want list. Of coarse the list always outpaces my music budget. I am sure no one else has that problem.

I am never too surprised by IDs because I don't know much but I have to say that Joseph Jarman did.

Thanks very much for the listen.

Webbcity, it looks like it was a great BFT, and I apologize for not participating. The past two months have busy - by my standards, anyway. And I think maybe I just needed a break from the BFT for a couple of months. Unusually, I have over half of your BFT tracks on my shelves - it would have been interesting to see how many of them I could have figured out.

So, "Sightsong" is now on my neverending want list. Of coarse the list always outpaces my music budget. I am sure no one else has that problem.

No, not at all... :w

Webbcity, it looks like it was a great BFT, and I apologize for not participating. The past two months have busy - by my standards, anyway. And I think maybe I just needed a break from the BFT for a couple of months. Unusually, I have over half of your BFT tracks on my shelves - it would have been interesting to see how many of them I could have figured out.

No worries at all Jeff!

With every BFT I'm always worried that I won't be able to identify things from my own collection, but thankfully, it seems others have that problem too, so I don't feel too alone... :)

Here are some thoughts on your Reveal. I am sorry these are coming so late. I have been busy with some other things.

1. I hope I can find this on a readily available reissue! This is a great song.

4. Wow, did this one fool me! I have never heard Joseph Jarman, on many recordings or in live performance, play so much like John Coltrane. I was so convinced it was McCoy Tyner, but it is Myra Melford! I do not know Rob Garcia's work, but he is an outstanding drummer.

This is what a BFT should ideally do, in my opinion, open the listener up to some new insights about an artist. I love listening to this song, too.

5. This had been identified by Thom. I do not have this Chico Freeman album and need to get it. What an outstanding solo by Henry Threadgill on baritone saxophone, more "inside" than he often plays, but not too inside.

7. I have this album and did not recognize it. I really liked the trumpet solo--now I see that it is by Roy Hargrove. I did not remember this album being so energetic. Time to play it again.

8. I had commented that I really liked the "urgent" saxophone player--now I see it is Roscoe Mitchell. So you fooled me on both Joseph Jarman and Roscoe Mitchell. I have noticed before that when Roscoe Mitchell is recording away from the Art Ensemble of Chicago "community", that he can sound rather different than you might expect.

I did not identify Jodie Christian on piano, although I have heard other recordings by him.

9. Muhal Richard Abrams and Malachi Favors! I have this album but did not identify it. Again, it's time to play it again. I have heard Abrams play Thelonious Monk's music very convincingly. This is not a Monk composition, but is Monk-ish. I like this one a lot.

10. I love this Ari Brown song, as I previously commented, and I never heard him play like this before. Thanks for pointing this one out to us.

11. I have this album, and have heard Nicole Mitchell live, and still could not identify it.

12. I was right in my comment that the flute player is primarily a saxophone player. It's Jerome Richardson. I just could not place the bass player, Ray Brown. It was like it was right on the tip of my tongue, but I was not sure. I liked his playing a lot on this song. I would never have guessed that Oscar Peterson played organ that way.

Bonus: 1. This was previously identified. I did not know that this Jack Bruce album had such jazz content. I had never heard anything from it before. Thanks for presenting it to us.

Conclusion: this is my favorite BFT in some time. I really loved this one.

Bill, thanks for your thoughts! I'm really glad you enjoyed so much of this.

On #1, the Land track...it looks like 3 of the 4 tracks from that session are available here on CD and MP3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C7PU5/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music ... not sure why they left the 4th one off.

On #4, the Jarman...I am really you liked that one-- absolutely one of my favorites. There are 2 bands on that CD, as it was recorded at 2 different Vision Festivals in NYC, in 1998 and 1999. The first group is the trio here and the second is the trio plus Jessica Jones on tenor and flute (who sounds phenomenal here) and Alan Silva on bass. This tune, "New Prayer for Jimbo III" originally appeared as "Prayer for Jimbo Kwesi" on this album: http://www.amazon.com/Third-Decade-Art-Ensemble-Chicago/dp/B00002MYHH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375789729&sr=8-1&keywords=art+ensemble+third+decade

Regarding Roscoe Mitchell, I have always liked him in the context of the Art Ensemble, but on some other recordings his playing is not exactly my taste (though I always respect what he's up to). On the Jodie Christian track here, I love it...I think he adds a lot.

And I learned something from you about Jerome Richardson, because I think I have ever only known him as a flute player-- did not realize he was primarily a saxophonist.

Thanks again for your comments!

On #1, the Land track...it looks like 3 of the 4 tracks from that session are available here on CD and MP3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C7PU5/ref=dm_dp_cdp?ie=UTF8&s=music ... not sure why they left the 4th one off.

On #4, the Jarman...I am really you liked that one-- absolutely one of my favorites. There are 2 bands on that CD, as it was recorded at 2 different Vision Festivals in NYC, in 1998 and 1999. The first group is the trio here and the second is the trio plus Jessica Jones on tenor and flute (who sounds phenomenal here) and Alan Silva on bass. This tune, "New Prayer for Jimbo III" originally appeared as "Prayer for Jimbo Kwesi" on this album: http://www.amazon.com/Third-Decade-Art-Ensemble-Chicago/dp/B00002MYHH/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375789729&sr=8-1&keywords=art+ensemble+third+decade

Regarding Roscoe Mitchell, I have always liked him in the context of the Art Ensemble, but on some other recordings his playing is not exactly my taste (though I always respect what he's up to). On the Jodie Christian track here, I love it...I think he adds a lot.

And I learned something from you about Jerome Richardson, because I think I have ever only known him as a flute player-- did not realize he was primarily a saxophonist.

Ah, no wonder that Jarman composition sounded familiar to me! I bought that Art Ensemble album, "The Third Decade", when it first came out and played it often right after that. I did not remember the song though, when I heard it on your BFT.

Among other recordings in his career, Jerome Richardson is featured as a saxophonist quite a bit on Charles Mingus' "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" album.

Thanks for the tip on the Harold Land songs on CD.

You mentioned that you were not familiar with trombonist Paul McKee. He is an Organissimo board member, who goes by the handle Free For All.

Ah, no wonder that Jarman composition sounded familiar to me! I bought that Art Ensemble album, "The Third Decade", when it first came out and played it often right after that. I did not remember the song though, when I heard it on your BFT.

Among other recordings in his career, Jerome Richardson is featured as a saxophonist quite a bit on Charles Mingus' "Black Saint and the Sinner Lady" album.

Thanks for the tip on the Harold Land songs on CD.

You mentioned that you were not familiar with trombonist Paul McKee. He is an Organissimo board member, who goes by the handle Free For All.

Wow, no kidding! Small world here. He sounds very good on the Jodie Christian CD. :tup

That Mingus album is one I should know (esp. as a bass player)...will need to correct that soon.

For some really ace Jerome Richardson playing, head for Tiny Grimes - Tiny in Swingville (OJC)

grimes_tiny_tinyinswi_101b.jpg

He even got a special mention on the front!

MG

Cool, I will investigate that one. I have Tiny Grimes on some Charlie Parker stuff and I really like his playing (and singing).