August 1 - IPA Day

I finally tried an IPA last week. What crap. I'll stick to porters, thank you.

Tried one and they're all crap?

Adding in. Which one did you try that was so bad it covered all the rest?

It seems to me from my limited experience that IPA is out of fashion in the UK.

Do you mean the UK, or US IPA....because the US IPAs are still big. To the point that more and more are being distributed in the UK and not even in the major cities like London.

Today is IPA Day. Here is a subjective list of the author's favorites. I haven't seen any of these in the stores around here.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/08/01/6-beers-to-celebrate-national-ipa-day/

Not my list, but a good list.

Edited by Blue Train

On one level, I can relate to dismissing all IPAs based on one sample. It's a distinctive style, with such prominent hops.

It took me more than one sample, but I now know better than to order wits and hefeweizens and rausch beers (if I ever drink again).

All you drink are Porters? What is your go-to?

Black Butte.

I finally tried an IPA last week. What crap. I'll stick to porters, thank you.

Tried one and they're all crap?

Yup. It's the approach: throw more hops than sensible into the mix and proclaim it a great beer. Doesn't work for me.

age cuts into one's tolerance as well.

recently, 4 old raspies and 2 straight shots of rare breed within 90 minutes did me in. i was wobblin.' at one time, that would barely faze me...........

4 Old Rasputin (with each having an abv of 9%) and 2 straight shots of Rare breed @ 54.1% in 90 minutes?

The problem is, with my current health, I'm a lightweight. If I drink two, I'll never see the third...

So, it's the higher abv and/or extra hops? By the way, which IPA was it? It's possible you just picked one that wasn't that good in the first place.

Speaking of Porters. have you tried Hill Farmsteads? In general they have an excellent line of beers beside Porters.

Edited by Blue Train

• 1 month later...