RivBea Orchestra - as a ghost band? (Sam Rivers' Florida big band)

Anybody know if Sam's big band ever played (or continues?) without him? - presumably in the Orlando area.

The group had a huge (30+), revolving-door of musicians from all over the greater Orlando area (and beyond) -- and audience demand (or lack thereof) not withstanding -- I could easily see the group continuing without him, as a sort of 'ghost band' without Sam.

I only know them from the recent 3-disc Sam Rivers Mosaic Select, and the equally brilliant (earlier) release Aurora. And while I doubt there's anything much more than gas money to be had from doing it -- creatively speaking, this seems like a band ripe to continue the Sam Rivers legacy -- and provide an excellent outlet for some wonderful, creative musicians with some real chops and energy to offer.

==========

Shame there aren't subtopics available on this new board/forum software -- or I'd try label this one as such, and get some parallel discussion going about ideas for OTHER modern day ghost bands that would actually make some reasonable sense, creatively speaking. While I'm sure there aren't lots that fit the bill (scarcely a dozen, at best -- heck even 2 or 3 seem like a lot) -- but I'd be currious if anyone here knew of any such modern day Ghost Band concepts that made as much sense (at least to me) as my idea for the RivBea Orchestra continuing without Sam. (Even one or two good examples would further the discussion.)

I understand that Sam's big band was a serious creative outlet for a number of great musicians who otherwise had little chance to play that kind of challenging material anywhere else within 500 (or even 1,000 miles) -- and certainly not in anything like that kind of format (what I've always liked to describe as big band music written by Arnold Schoenberg, fronted by James Brown's rhythm section).

A labor of love, to be sure -- but isn't anything akin to "regional, avant garde big band" going to be like that? (I'm reminded of the People's Liberation Big Band of Kansas City, for instance (those of you from KC know!) - where I'm guessing every player is lucky to get $10 for their troubles, and their real "pay" is the opportunity to play that kind of music for one night every month).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Never really dug the two-disc New York all-star Big Band recordings as much as I wanted too (the ones Steve Coleman had the biggest hand in, iirc) -- but damn,if Aurora didn't knock me on my ass from the git-go, and the Mosaic too. That Florida bag band was and (I presume) could still be amazing!!

I know there isn't a penny to be had in it -- and probably money to lose (frankly) -- but on musical grounds, I'd love for Sam's legacy to continue with a group that (presumably) could represent him so well, in an on-going - or at least periodic basis.

And the thing is, I think that band really had something unique to say (which is to say that Sam really molded that band -- of 30+ people -- into something unique -- which must speak volumes about Sam's influence). Maybe it was the rhythm-section that was the most unique factor (well, in that particular kind of context) -- but whatever it was, it was special, and nothing like I've ever heard before or since.

Anybody know if there was a defacto "music director" in the group? Given Sam's age, somebody had to have been calling the rehearsals -- or at least handling the musical logistics. I know Sam's daughter was (essentially) his manager, and may have been doing somet of that -- but I'd have to think there was somebody actually in the band who kind of ran stuff, or at least was a really big influence.

I know Andrew Hill had the benefit of one or two musicians (Ron Horton (tp), being one) who really helped get his stuff going in his later years, i.e. did charts for Andrew (that actually made sense), etc. Did Sam have anybody like that? For a guy in his 80's, one would have to assume he wasn't doing it all - especially with the volume of new music I understand the group did over the years (or so I've heard) -- not that Sam wasn't writing everything, but even Duke had Billy.

None of that (about Sam's last years in Florida) will probably ever get documented (nor Andrew's last decade) -- but my hat's off to whomever helped get Sam's Florida big band going, and helped keep it going for quite a number of years. Talk about a labor of love!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I saw one of the last shows by the Rivbea orchestra with Sam. One of the greatest musical experiences of my life! IIRC, bassist Doug Mathews was the de facto leader of the group. I believe he along with several members of the band are teachers at the Univ. of Central Florida near Orlando. Haven't heard if the band is still going but I'd love to see them keep it going in honor of Sam. I'm clear on the other side of the State but would love to go see them again playing Sam's music!