George Duke 1946–2013

7/4

I always liked how a song like "Someday" could take the (obvious) Stevie Wonder inspiration and go off on its own tangent.

Such a talented guy, and such an open mind, and such a (seemingly) happy spirit. For some people "influenced by the marketplace" is a horrible, horrible way to die, but for George Duke, it often seemed to be liberating, like hey, I wasn't really gonna do anything specific with these massive skill sets anyway, so thanks for the suggestions!

RIP, and much thanks for the grins, including, especially, the Cannonball music. Couldn't just any old body take Zawinul's place and actually step the momentum up a notch.

Thanks for this. I didn't know he'd played with Cannonball (and apparently neither did the writers of most of his obits).

the following is a release from his label:

http://www.eurweb.com/2013/08/george-dukes-label-releases-statement-about-his-death-including-cause/

"GRAMMY® Award-winning keyboardist/composer/arranger/producer George Duke has died in Los Angeles at age 67. He was battling and being treated for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)."

devastated about this, George Duke's music, to me, was the future of music. when so many of those fusion albums from the same time today sound dated, aura will prevail still sounds like its from the future. and he was the funkiest man alive. he had a whammy bar on his clavinet for godsake. and hes prob my favorite male jazz vocalist

once i told him 'ive been w/ you since the World Pacific days", and he's all, u dont look that old, lollolol

This is very very surprising and very very sad to hear. He was one of the house Gods to me and my family. A big part of the soundtrack of our lives. I have EREYTHING this man put out as solo artist and have listened to him since 1979. Now my kids love him too and we have had him on heavy rotation the last couple of days. And I among with many others had the pleasure of meeting him after a concert in Stockholm. He was truly the nicest guy! We will miss you.