The Great Concert of Charles Mingus on vinyl

Deepak

Does anyone have the 3 LP set The Great Concert of Charles Mingus? It was released by Prestige on the green label. Pressed in the late 60s/early 70s.

The CDs sound very poor. I know there were recording limitations, but it sounds severely rolled off as well. I'm wondering if the vinyl is any better?

Does anyone have the 3 LP set The Great Concert of Charles Mingus? It was released by Prestige on the green label. Pressed in the late 60s/early 70s.

The CDs sound very poor. I know there were recording limitations, but it sounds severely rolled off as well. I'm wondering if the vinyl is any better?

R-1207968-1319008314.jpeg

I have a French stereo and also a Japanese mono copy.

Both are very very good fidelity vinyl, but not on Prestige, both on America records ( 30 AM 003-004-005 )

Both are very very good fidelity vinyl, but not on Prestige, both on America records ( 30 AM 003-004-005 )

Thank you. What label is the French stereo pressing on?

Thank you. What label is the French stereo pressing on?

The French pressing is on America Records, a subsidiary of Musidisc. My copy sounds quite good, and it's pretty affordable ($20-$30).

Actually, the 3 LP set on the America Label was one of my first jazz albums. The french America Label was the best way to purchase Mingus stuff during that time in Europe. Yes, it sounds much better than the CD, and my CD has another version of "So long Eric", without Johnny Coles.

On the 3 LP set it´s mistitled "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" and is the only number on which Johnny Coles plays (he collapsed on stage).

I never understood, how the tune could be mistitled that way, because "So Long Eric" and "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" don´t have nothing in common.

My copy is that America 3LP foldout version too - sounds fine.

Yes, that´s some thing you never give away. Anyway, it was a special day for me when I finally had that 3 LP. I´d say it changed my whole musical live, opened up my mind. Imangine, I heard Mingus before I heard Parker. Got to buy Parker records because I dug that "Parkeriana" so much and said, if that´s the guy who taught Mingus that stuff, he must be a gas, got to get all his records.

And it made me open to the New Thing. From Mingus with Dolphy to Free Jazz, and back to bop.

So, this 3 LP set was the "center" of everything I would listen to afterwards......

• 1 month later...

Is there a version on America Records that is in mono? The copies I have come across have stereo on the label and "eletronically enhanced for stereo effect" in the gatefold. I know the Prestige green labels I have seen are in mono

A24zAJV.jpg

Yes, I`ve a Japanese mono pressing, also on America.

This is original a ORTF radio recording, by that time they broadcast in mono.