Ex-Organissimo member Christern on PBS last night

WNET played the documentary "Radio Unnameable" last night, concerning radio station WBAI, and the Bob Fass show.

Christern was station manager back when Fass started doing his midnight show in the early 1960s, and commented on WBAI and Fass' career.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, whatever his disagreements with this board, is one of the finest people I've ever known - generous to a fault and a fount of fascinating info.

As Larry Cohn (formerly of Sony Legacy, he's the guy who did the Robert Johnson box) told me a few years ago, Chris was one of the tryly honest and good guys in the music/record business and one of the few who did NOT steal from artists, and one of the few who put the interests of musicians before himself.

Not to mention his many and major accomplishments as a producer, radio personality, organizer of various sessions through the years, writer, friend to some of the most important personalities in American popular music and jazz, and witness to some of the most important cultural events and movements of our time.

As a group who pride ourselves on our historical acumen, it's important to remember and note all of this.

Edited by AllenLowe

Chris, whatever his disagreements with this board, is one of the finest people I've ever known - generous to a fault and a fount of fascinating info...

:tup

Also, I think the inordinate number of threads on this board about album covers and about "hey, here's some pointless article I found on the Internet. I think I'll start a thread!" diminish the quality of real discussion about music, making this a less interesting and rewarding place to be.

Chris, whatever his disagreements with this board, is one of the finest people I've ever known - generous to a fault and a fount of fascinating info...

:tup

Also, I think the inordinate number of threads on this board about album covers and about "hey, here's some pointless article I found on the Internet. I think I'll start a thread!" diminish the quality of real discussion about music, making this a less interesting and rewarding place to be.

As they say in the U.K., "hear hear". Couldn't agree more, with both Allen and sonnymax.

As for those numerous new posts by one member linking pointless articles each day, I wish he wouldn't use this board as his personal blog and stop posting those threads. As I see it they're unnecessarily taking up a lot of space and so do those silly album cover threads.

As for those numerous new posts by one member linking pointless articles each day, I wish he wouldn't use this board as his personal blog and stop posting those threads. As I see it they're unnecessarily taking up a lot of space and so do those silly album cover threads.

Agreed about those pointless links or trivia of little or no PRIMARY interest to most anybody who lurks here for what THIS board is all about ...

10% of those "I'LL start a thread by placing a link that nobody will really know what it's about until he's clicked on the link" would do nicely - and the rest? Expendable ...

As for those album cover threads, admittedly they have gone out of hand a little in the choice of SOME topics/common denominators. But some of them are fun - or rather, they could be.

HOWEVER ... is there much merit in looting ONLINE album cover sources for stuff, scans, pics? Originally I had understood those album cover threads to mean "See if you can come up with an album cover from your PERSONAL collection that fits the topic" (and in fact this is how I have handled my own - sparse - contributions to these threads throughout).

(Sort of a variation of "What are you listening to" - now called "What you've got?") And who knows ... if it wer ehandled exclusively this way then this might spark a brief discussion about this or that album - for everybody's amusement, maybe.

But if it's just a case of "I can do an online search faster than you can", then ... what's the point, in the long run?

(furthermore, what's the point of starting another thread on Lee Morgan when there are seventeen ones, easily found with a quick search? the fount of info gets divided into many small rivulets ... I've said so often enough to step on the toes of a few, I guess, but I keep sayin' it)

(furthermore, what's the point of starting another thread on Lee Morgan when there are seventeen ones, easily found with a quick search? the fount of info gets divided into many small rivulets ... I've said so often enough to step on the toes of a few, I guess, but I keep sayin' it)

Keep sayin it - you're right!

DUPLICATE threads are no problem, but - like you say - 10 or 15 or 17 threads with exactly the same core subject matter?

"Cant be bothered" (with a search) would not be a valid counter-argument anyhow ... ;)

I've seen other forums where the "Advanced Search" function is more convenient, but still ... this function MUST work, as several recent threads show that have been resurrected by forumists after having been dormant for years. And I am grateful to them because they brought back to life some interesting discussions that are interesting to read now, even though they may date back to 2005 or so (before I became aware of the forum myself).

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I am better off browsing Stomp off once in a while than reading the recent attack/defense additions on this forum.

I am better off without the Miscellaneous Music and Political forums, the filter function works like a charm.

Well, there are occasionally some interesting threads popping up in misc music (as with misc non music).

But frankly, the whole political discussion of the past several months to me seems like one on-going thread split up into various pretense-topics ... I rarely ever go there anymore, same old same old every day.

Agree with both Hans & Flurin!

Jeez. Read the threads you want to read, ignore the rest. I like Aloc's posts. Too many cover threads? Ignore. Better yet, discuss your own listening experiences: discs you love, discs you recently encountered, thoughts on old favorites. This site is what you make of it. There's not much happening in jazz these days (time was not so long ago that a Pablo reissue program would be mocked rather than appreciated), so good vibes are important during this dry spell.