Ex-Organissimo member Christern on PBS last night

I like Aloc's posts. He posts some interesting stuff. If you don't want to read them, skip 'em.

Why did Chris quit?

The last time he was here I guess he kind of went off on the owner of Jazz Corner in the thread about the forums closing over there.

They had had a huge falling out years ago and I guess Chris still hasn't been able to let it go.

Haven't seen him around since then, so he probably said "fuck it" at that point. Does anyone know if he is on Facebook?

He has his own blog, "Stomp Off": http://stomp-off.blogspot.nl/

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris, whatever his disagreements with this board, is one of the finest people I've ever known - generous to a fault and a fount of fascinating info.

As Larry Cohn (formerly of Sony Legacy, he's the guy who did the Robert Johnson box) told me a few years ago, Chris was one of the tryly honest and good guys in the music/record business and one of the few who did NOT steal from artists, and one of the few who put the interests of musicians before himself.

Not to mention his many and major accomplishments as a producer, radio personality, organizer of various sessions through the years, writer, friend to some of the most important personalities in American popular music and jazz, and witness to some of the most important cultural events and movements of our time.

As a group who pride ourselves on our historical acumen, it's important to remember and note all of this.

Lovely post.

I don't see any problem with Aloc's posts/threads. I check those that are of interest and those that are not...amazingly I don't.

I rather have his threads than the 10,000 remastering/engineer fetish threads/posts. I heard they're remastering Kind of Blue again....now it get's streamed directly into your brain. Engineer XYZ really pulled out all the gizmos and used every knob on the board.

Why did Chris quit?

I agree with Allen about all the amazing knowledge Chris has and shares....but I also agree with Jim A about all the melodramatic stuff. In my 3-years of lurking/posting....I think he quit like 50 times over the slightest of things. Okay, that's an exaggeration....but....if you're going to quit....just quit already.

To answer your question....I think (I could be wrong....it's hard to keep track with him) the latest quitting (and most likely not last) was a result of his posts about Lois in the JC is closing thread.

Edited by Blue Train

I like any thread where people talk about the music they like, especially if the explain why (aside from the classical dead maestro threads!)

Just because you reject even the notion that anyone might get an ounce of pleasure out of their music, I don't think you ought to flat out deny the mere possibility.

I like Aloc's posts. He posts some interesting stuff. If you don't want to read them, skip 'em.

Why did Chris quit?

The last time he was here I guess he kind of went off on the owner of Jazz Corner in the thread about the forums closing over there.

They had had a huge falling out years ago and I guess Chris still hasn't been able to let it go.

Haven't seen him around since then, so he probably said "fuck it" at that point. Does anyone know if he is on Facebook?

He has his own blog, "Stomp Off": http://stomp-off.blogspot.nl/

Not much posted on there recently.....only two this year....... :(

I like any thread where people talk about the music they like, especially if the explain why (aside from the classical dead maestro threads!)

Just because you reject even the notion that anyone might get an ounce of pleasure out of their music, I don't think you ought to flat out deny the mere possibility.

It's all a matter of entropy. It only happens by chance as I recall. The process may be sped up by a catalyst such as the presence of an intact OBI strip.

Edited by Clunky

thanks; I'm also a bit distressed at some of the mean spirit comments directed at Aloc's threads; I've gotten to know him a bit and he's a gentleman and great jazz fan.

Um, I completely agree. I didn't realize that was who they were talking about at the beginning of this thread.

He's always struck me as a pretty nice cat.

I definitely appreciate his contributions in the political forum.

Hope he doesn't take the haters to heart...

Edited by Scott Dolan

Just to make one thing clear: I don't think anyone here "hates" Aloc (I certainly don't), the objections were aimed at the content and overwhelming number of his posts. As far as I can see no one attacked him personally.

Edited by J.A.W.

"Haters" only being an expression, my friend. Not some kind of attribution.

I guess I miss his floods of posts, but thought it necessary to at least stick up for the cat.

He can come flood my board. It's in desperate need of it. :(

Why not invite him over? :)

Just to make one thing clear: I don't think anyone here "hates" Aloc (I certainly don't), the objections were aimed at the content and overwhelming number of his posts. As far as I can see no one attacked him personally.

Yet, most everyone that read your comments seems to think it was an attack of him personally, or whomever SD thought they were about (I am betting like me when I initially read your posts....he thought you meant me)....I still think it's how everyone took your posts about Aloc meant....but you're reading the signs that you put your foot in your mouth and are backpedaling.

The horror that he posts things you deem unsuitable for this place. I think you among many others post a bunch of things that don't belong here. I know many including you think there are things I post that don't belong on this board.

Since he's not breaking any of the many rules (some of which I made clear many times (I beat a dead horse about it) are absurd) for this B.B....In the end it really is up to Jim A to decide.

Edited by Blue Train

Yet, most everyone that read your comments seems to think it was an attack of him personally, or whomever SD thought they were about (I am betting like me when I initially read your posts....you meant me)....I still think it's how everyone took your posts meant....but you're reading the signs that you put your foot in your mouth and are backpedaling.

The horror that he posts things you deem unsuitable for this place. I think you among many others post a bunch of things that don't belong here. I know many including you think there are things I post that don't belong on this board.

Since he's not breaking any of the many rules (some of which I made clear (I beat a dead horse about it) are absurd) for this B.B....In the end it really is up to Jim A to decide.

This is typical. I won't even bother to reply, other than that it wasn't me who started criticism of Aloc's posts (I was merely responding to an earlier post) and that several people agreed with my remarks, which, again, were not aimed at him personally. I get the impression that you only seem to be able to read posts the way you want to read them, not how they're actually written/meant. Anyway, you are now definitely on my ignore list. Goodbye.

Edited by J.A.W.