Ex-Organissimo member Christern on PBS last night

Here is is sonnymax's post which was very general and could have meant anyone.

:tup

Also, I think the inordinate number of threads on this board about album covers and about "hey, here's some pointless article I found on the Internet. I think I'll start a thread!" diminish the quality of real discussion about music, making this a less interesting and rewarding place to be.

Here is a post most everyone took to mean one of two people....and took to be personally attacking that person.

As they say in the U.K., "hear hear". Couldn't agree more, with both Allen and sonnymax.

As for those numerous new posts by one member linking pointless articles each day, I wish he wouldn't use this board as his personal blog and stop posting those threads. As I see it they're unnecessarily taking up a lot of space and so do those silly album cover threads.

Then there is this.

OK, but what are they doing on a jazz board? I'm here for the music, not for "Americana" or other mainly non-musical stuff; there are other boards for that. I know, this has been discussed many times before and Jim sees it differently, but I think it's still worth discussing.

Just my 2 cents :)

How about this.

That would be easy if he didn't swamp the board almost daily with his threads; there are days when they totally dominate the "Recent Topics" column at the right, they can't be avoided. It's the same when you hit the "view new content" button. A little less would be very welcome as far as I'm concerned.

etc....but there wasn't anything at all personal about any of your posts? ;)

P.S. Just why do you think you need to inform me you're putting me on ignore? You actually think I care?

Edited by Blue Train

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, I think the inordinate number of threads on this board about album covers and about "hey, here's some pointless article I found on the Internet. I think I'll start a thread!" diminish the quality of real discussion about music, making this a less interesting and rewarding place to be.

Here is a post everyone took to meant one of two people....and took to be personally attacking that person.

As they say in the U.K., "hear hear". Couldn't agree more, with both Allen and sonnymax.

As for those numerous new posts by one member linking pointless articles each day, I wish he wouldn't use this board as his personal blog and stop posting those threads. As I see it they're unnecessarily taking up a lot of space and so do those silly album cover threads.

Then there is this.

OK, but what are they doing on a jazz board? I'm here for the music, not for "Americana" or other mainly non-musical stuff; there are other boards for that. I know, this has been discussed many times before and Jim sees it differently, but I think it's still worth discussing.

How about this.

That would be easy if he didn't swamp the board almost daily with his threads; there are days when they totally dominate the "Recent Topics" column at the right, they can't be avoided. It's the same when you hit the "view new content" button. A little less would be very welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Well, one more time - I don't see any personal attacks, just criticism of Aloc's overwhelming number of threads and the content of many. Again, you only read my posts the way you want to read them, not what they actually say. And if you're wondering whom sonnymax meant in his post, just ask him.

I won't respond to your posts anymore, they're not worth my time.

Edited by J.A.W.

I knew who J.A.W. was referring to, and it would seem fairly clear to most posters who have been on this board for a number of years.

I also didn't think it was a personal attack on Aloc, just a comment on the sheer volume of threads he starts, the majority of which get little response.

Here is a post everyone took to meant one of two people....and took to be personally attacking that person.

Then there is this.

How about this.

Well, one more time - I don't see any personal attacks, just criticism of Aloc's overwhelming number of threads and the contents of many. Again, you only read my posts the way you want to read them, not what they actually say. And if you're wondering whom sonnymax meant in his post, just ask him.

I won't respond to your posts anymore, they're not worth my time.

The person who was personally attacking him doesn't see that he's personally attacking him. :rofl:

I think you mean most everyone read your posts the same way I did. Amazingly, yes....I actually would have had to ask sonnymax whom he meant. Most no one needed to do that with you. Allen isn't one of my fans....but he took your posts exactly the same way.

Most everyone took your posts the exact same way....to the point that you were the only one that needed to start your backpedaling post.

Tell me again....just why you do think you need to tell me something for the second time I didn't care about the first time? Talk about melodramatic.

Think we all need to relax a little about this.

Amen.

Yeah, I am beating a dead horse....and I am sorry, but not deleting a single thing I posted.

Edited by Blue Train

well, no matter how we look at it, Blue Train is right - there was a snideness to those posts that implied Aloc was wasting our time; and I don't really think it's anyone's place to say that. It speaks to a certain inappropriateness that happens here on occassion; as when someone criticizes some music and someone else chimes in "well you're just jealous because he's more famous than you." I don't believe it's right to question anyone's motives or sensibiities in a way that challenges their right to express themselves, as long as no one is personally under attack.

JAW says I'm not a moderator but wants to limit a members amount of posts .....

Unless a moderator says someone posts too much it's none of his business

I said nothing of the kind, I said I wished he would stop posting those threads (linking stuff) and that a little less would be very welcome as far as I'm concerned. I said what I wished for, I never said I wanted to limit a member's amount of posts - there's a difference, but maybe it's too subtle...

Of course, every member is free to post as many threads as they want, just as I am free to criticize those posts and the sheer volume of (in this case) posts linking articles.

My choice of words may have annoyed some people, but I stand by them; again, they were never meant as a personal attack. Let me add one more thing: I wasn't "backpedalling" at all, I was just trying to make clear what was meant. If I had indeed been backpedalling, I would have explicitly made that clear.

Some people here are masters at distorting and twisting someone else's posts, giving them a different meaning than intended and turning them into personal attacks they can indignantly point at.

Time for me to leave this board, at least for now. This nonsense isn't worth my time.

Edited by J.A.W.

I agree you are within your rights to criticize and disagree with specific posts- but NOT to criticize the amount and variety. Just my opinion.

OK, but why isn't criticism of the amount and variety of posts not allowed in your opinion? As I see it that would be a restriction of one's freedom of expression/speech/whatever you want to call it. Such criticism doesn't mean that one wants to see the poster's right to post as much as they want restricted as has been suggested earlier, it's merely a wish for fewer posts like the ones discussed. The poster is free to ignore that wish, of course.

good points, all; I guess it's just one of those questions of interpretation; certain criticisms seem to cross the line (not talking about yours specifically); I don't know. I just know the member in question and he's one of the nicest people I've encountered here.

; as when someone criticizes some music and someone else chimes in "well you're just jealous because he's more famous than you." I don't believe it's right to question anyone's motives or sensibiities in a way that challenges their right to express themselves, as long as no one is personally under attack.

Some of that criticism of particular music can be vicious (try the weekly I Hate Keith Jarrett threads). It's the thing most likely to bring on my acidity. Of course everyone has a right to criticise music they dislike - but if they do so with venom they can hardly complain if they get a sour response. There are also some posters who seem to define themselves by what they dislike.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Aloc is a good guy. Hans is a good guy. Chris is a good guy. Let's let it go and move on.

I don't know who Hans is, but I agree with this sentiment whole-heartedly.

He's the guy who turned a thread about Chris being in a documentary into a thread about him and Aloc....all the while proclaiming he's innocent of what most everyone thinks he meant, but are now twisting what he meant (wink, wink) to what he didn't mean (wink wink). Ironically, he also proclaimed he was leaving the board....if you're going to do that.....might as well do it in a thread that was meant to be about Chris....but still posts....and apparently doesn't have me on ignore.

The melodrama!

There will be a pop quiz on this.

Edited by Blue Train

Aloc is a good guy. Hans is a good guy. Chris is a good guy. Let's let it go and move on.

He's the guy who turned a thread about Chris being in a documentary into a thread about him and Aloc....all the while proclaiming he's innocent of what most everyone thinks he meant, but are now twisting what he meant (wink, wink) to what he didn't mean (wink wink). Ironically, he also proclaimed he was leaving the board....if you're going to do that.....might as well do it in a thread that was meant to be about Chris....but still posts....and apparently doesn't have me on ignore.

The melodrama!

And you are simply a troll. I would miss Hans if he stopped posting here. Not you.

The melodrama!

And you are simply a troll. I would miss Hans if he stopped posting here. Not you.

As a relative newcomer my word won't mean much here, but I've had plenty of pm contact with Hans since joining and he's is a good guy.

Personally, I liked some of the topics Aloc posted.