Eydie Gorme, RIP

Teasing the Korean

Wow! That was great, especially the octave jumping at the end.

In a perfect world, every woman would look and sing like EG.

Just a few days ago on the way to a gig, either a trumpet plaey or sax player that used to do her and SL's show was telling a story about EG lecturing the band about how to play something, and SL came into the room and told her to shut the fuck up, and get the hell out of there. :Nod:

RIP EG

Recently JazzWax posted a few clips in a column extolling Steve Allen. One of the clips featured what must have been the longest tracking shot in television history for a performance of Allen's "This Could be the Start of Something Big". It's a lot of fun to watch and of course Eydie Gorme is one of the featured performers along with Steve Lawrence, Dinah Shore, Ann Southern and a Sinatra impersonator. Check it out:

That Steve Allen clip is one of the more remarkable things I've seen in a long time. Presumably one mic, one dolly, one take. I've watched it a bunch trying to figure out exactly how it might have been done. Yes, Lawrence sounds a LOT like Dean Martin at that point in his career, Re: Gorme -- she's sounds fabulous in that clip of "I'll Take Romance." Very elongated phrasing, good time, gets at the heart of the song. Like many of the pop singers of her generation, she had real skills and musicianship, and when her taste antennae were engaged, she brought real value to a performance.

Edited by Mark Stryker

Re: Gorme -- she's sounds fabulous in that clip of "I'll Take Romance." Very elongated phrasing, good time, gets at the heart of the song. Like many of the pop singers of her generation, she had real skills and musicianship, and when her taste antennae were engaged, she brought real value to a performance.

Agree 100%. I've inadvertently gotten into some arguments about "jazz vocalists" vs. "pop vocalists" on this board. I think Eydie falls into a category of "pop" singers who, given another set of circumstances, may have had very different careers, given the right material, arrangements, and instrumental backings.

Eydie really kills it in that version of "I'll Take Romance."

Edited by Teasing the Korean

The difference might lie in the ability to improvise.

If the right singer is singing the right song with the right backing and the right arrangements, I could care less whether he or she can improvise or not.

I suppose that some bass players or drummers are better improvisers than others, but I prefer the ones who can groove in a group setting.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

The Steve/Eydie/Luiz Bonfa (Columbia, 1967(?)) album is a very nice "Brazilian-ish American Pop" album with arrangements by Eumir Deodato. Not for everybody's tastes, but I enjoy it as a very good example of what could have been something very non-enjoyable.

Also, Steve/Eydie had Don Costa as Musical Director when they were on ABC-Paramount. And no matter how "bad" Costa was with later Sinatra, that was one thing. His work with them was quite another.

The difference might lie in the ability to improvise.

If the right singer is singing the right song with the right backing and the right arrangements, I could care less whether he or she can improvise or not.

I suppose that some bass players or drummers are better improvisers than others, but I prefer the ones who can groove in a group setting.

Well put. There's endless idiocy by non-musicians in regard to music, but the phrase, "It's the singer, not the song", made me want to kill anyone that used to say that... :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...