Black Europe

cih

For some reason the link that the thread starter provided is flagged as being "risky" by my PC security system so better use this one:

http://www.bear-family.com/en/folk-world/world/va-black-europe.html?force_sid=fca1fad7ee331d3593426ba45fdcc081&&listtype=search&searchparam=black%20europe

I've read about this set in BF's news blurb before, and whatever they do in the way of box sets is tops and spells QUALITY but this one defintely is way over the top for me too. Early music in some ways is fine but this is too much prehistoric musical archeology for me. They deserve to be commended for taking on such a project, and no doubt there will be a market (or some internal reason for cross-financing such a "labor of love" from the revenues of other sales), or else they would not have done it at all.

My hunch is that this set will end up in university music libraries... Just like many university press books that have ridiculous prices and are intended for the institutional (library) market only.

I hope that - maybe - the recordings of African music and spoken word material will be issued separately, though I'm not going to hold my breath.

Edited by seeline

There are definitely people interested in it out there - the price is the only real obstacle. It's a majorly important project, and i suppose it depends also on your buying habits. Though for many people it's beyond reach, there will be many who will spend that amount on many smaller purchases over a longer period. For me, it's a major purchase, and the only thing i'll be getting for some time - it's something that interests me above all else (pre-war music that is) - and once it goes up to 750 euros it's too late. JSP will probably buy a copy too.

I never download anything from a living musician, or covered by the US. copyrights (which are much longer than European).....if it's something completely out of print that there is only way to get it that won't effect anyone financially...if I can upgrade from a bootleg that I downloaded that would lead official release that can lead to a musician's estate benefiting....I will buy it....which is why I started the thread

Edited by Blue Train

just meant that your previous post seemed to be a non-sequitar with the posts before it - i wondered if you had typed by error into this thread, as you ended by saying "which is why I started the thread" - indicating a possible reference to another thread

The first of my posts was clearly responding to not only your post about JSP, but Chuck's post about JSP, which basically came down to JSP might as well download/remaster and release it themselves.

The 2nd of my posts was in response to Chuck asking for a clarification of what I meant with regards to my rules on downloading.

Edited by Blue Train

• 3 weeks later...