A while back Ubu interviewed me

Well, thank you! I really enjoyed doing this!

Just a word of explanation for the others: a shortened version of the interview was printed in the fourth issue of get happy!?, an independently published german music magazine (mostly german language, too ... I'd already done a rought translation of the interview by the time i got to know that they'll publish it in english).

Enjoyed reading this. Just added LRG/The Maze/SII Examples to my future buy list because of this interview. That photograph from the Maze session is a classic!

I had no idea just how complicated LRG/The Maze/ SII was to set up. Can't see anything as complicated these days being attempted. Will be spinning this again later today. Great interview. Only question missing is, when will the juggernaut next be coming to town?

Edited by Clunky

My only complaint is that it wasn't longer. :)

Yeah, tell me 'bout it!

It was done via email, so it wasn't any kind of real dialogue, which would of course have been much more fun, but that would rely on me being able to join Chuck for a glass or whatever and really get into business. I did that a few times, but I'm afraid I'm not that good at it ... and I wouldn't really want to try and so such a thing via any means of "modern" communication, too.

Anyway, this is all very low-profile, but I really did enjoy helping Chuck getting some exposure since I have a huge admiration for what he did and is still doing. The printed edition was considerably shorter, alas, but it was part of a large special on music in Chicago, also including a few more bits on jazz. And amazingly enough, three AEC albums made the top fifteen voted amongst the editors and authors of the magazine: "Les Stances à Sophie" even ended up on #5, Roscoe's "Sound" followed on #11 and "Song For" made #15 (and yours truly was asked to write short reviews on them ... but they're in German, so of little use here, I'm afraid).

Thanks Mike!

I like the list of Chicago jazz. Did you make that, too?

Mostly yes. I added a few albums others appreciate in areas I don't really know or like (VDMK for instance).

Got to correct that: "What Country Is This" is my listing - tremendous album, I think! But I'm not well-versed in all things VDMK and even though "Simpatico" is the one VDMK 5 album I own, I relied on others there and in three or four other cases.

Thanks Mike!

I like the list of Chicago jazz. Did you make that, too?

Mostly yes. I added a few albums others appreciate in areas I don't really know or like (VDMK for instance).

Got to correct that: "What Country Is This" is my listing - tremendous album, I think! But I'm not well-versed in all things VDMK and even though "Simpatico" is the one VDMK 5 album I own, I relied on others there and in three or four other cases.

i'd like to emphasize that "Behind the 8 Ball" was my nomination; on a more serious note, it's a great list, and they really should have included it in the printed edition