Bethlehem label being reissued in US

romualdo

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope the Hank d'Amico CD from that reissue batch that I bought in the very first days of March from that Japanese eBay seller mildly recommended somewhere here will eventually show up ...

Not that I would really expect to receive a reply to my mail written to inquire about the shipping status (I guess their item descriptions are pre-texted somewhere so do not necessairly reflect on their ad hoc knowledge of fluent English communication) but it's a bit discomforting to experience what other buyers leaving negative ratings have had to say about this non-communication - yet I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I haven't been burnt ...

in case this is the seller -

http://www.ebay.com/usr/ftfym65

- that`s the one I just linked to Greg M.

I´ve ordered a couple CD`s from him via Ebay recently (the only communication was the update via Ebay about the CD`s shipment) and the goods made it within 2-21/2 weeks to Europe......securely packed parcel`s and factory sealed cd`s.

It IS this seller ... (see above)

But now you got me really worried. I have checked my mails again but since receiving an automatic Auctiva purchase confirmation and my payment confirmation from Paypal (I paid immediately after making my purchase) I have not received ANY shipping information from whomever ... And 3 weeks since my payment have passed.

to calm you down.......regarding my last two items (ordered the same day individually) i received a ebay notification reg one item, wondered about the second item (didn`t hear a word....) and received two days ago BOTH items in ONE parcel....

again there are alternatives reg other sellers, but this guy has all Sam Most (within reach) Greg M. was interested in.....

Just received an eBay confirmation from that seller regarding my item bought and paid for on 4 April (!!):

Item is now marked as "shipped".

In short, a full FOUR weeks after the purchase this character finally sees fit to ship my item!! WTH??

And no word at any time about it being "temporarily out of stock" (on the contrary - mine was proclaimed to be the last in stock, and right after I had made my purchase the item was relisted with 2 said to be in stock).

Am I amused?

You bet I'm not!

And I cannot really say I can wholeheartedly recommend this kind of business practice. I've half a mind of leaving feedback that reflects this.

And I must say by and large this ties in with the expriences I have heard from other European buyers who have bought from Japanese sellers through the years. Helter-skelter shipping, close to zero communication (unless you limit yourself to receiving preassembled standard text modules - guess why ...), etc.

I realize others around here had had better dealings (congrats to them) with Jap. sellers and I sincerely regret now I have never tried Hiroshi Tanno when he was still doing business (because his customer service seems to have been stellar indeed) but yet ...

Hope the Hank d'Amico CD from that reissue batch that I bought in the very first days of March from that Japanese eBay seller mildly recommended somewhere here will eventually show up ...

Not that I would really expect to receive a reply to my mail written to inquire about the shipping status (I guess their item descriptions are pre-texted somewhere so do not necessairly reflect on their ad hoc knowledge of fluent English communication) but it's a bit discomforting to experience what other buyers leaving negative ratings have had to say about this non-communication - yet I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope I haven't been burnt ...

I´ve ordered a couple CD`s from him via Ebay recently (the only communication was the update via Ebay about the CD`s shipment) and the goods made it within 2-21/2 weeks to Europe......securely packed parcel`s and factory sealed cd`s.

But now you got me really worried. I have checked my mails again but since receiving an automatic Auctiva purchase confirmation and my payment confirmation from Paypal (I paid immediately after making my purchase) I have not received ANY shipping information from whomever ... And 3 weeks since my payment have passed.

to calm you down.......regarding my last two items (ordered the same day individually) i received a ebay notification reg one item, wondered about the second item (didn`t hear a word....) and received two days ago BOTH items in ONE parcel....

again there are alternatives reg other sellers, but this guy has all Sam Most (within reach) Greg M. was interested in.....

Just received an eBay confirmation from that seller regarding my item bought and paid for on 4 April (!!):

In short, a full FOUR weeks after the purchase this character finally sees fit to ship my item!! WTH??

And no word at any time about it being "temporarily out of stock" (on the contrary - mine was proclaimed to be the last in stock, and right after I had made my purchase the item was relisted with 2 said to be in stock).

Am I amused?

You bet I'm not!

And I cannot really say I can wholeheartedly recommend this kind of business practice. I've half a mind of leaving feedback that reflects this.

And I must say by and large this ties in with the expriences I have heard from other European buyers who have bought from Japanese sellers through the years. Helter-skelter shipping, close to zero communication (unless you limit yourself to receiving preassembled standard text modules - guess why ...), etc.

I realize others around here had had better dealings (congrats to them) with Jap. sellers and I sincerely regret now I have never tried Hiroshi Tanno when he was still doing business (because his customer service seems to have been stellar indeed) but yet ...

Really sorry to hear about his negative experience of yours - as mentioned mine made it on average within 3 weeks to my place - but experiences seems to vary with a number of japanese dealers, another otherwise reliable (small) japanese dealer`s order of mine is now delayed already for more than a week and no explanation from his side....Hiroshi Tanno`s service quality was simply mirroring a different attitude (=old school....)....although this is most likely unsatisfying to you, I`ve learned (aka had to get used to) over the years being ok with it when the goods from Japan make it factory sealed and well packed to me at all...of course HMV Japan (when you can make it through their protracted ordering system for international clients) or CDJapan are shipping considerably faster, but the uptick for doing so is quite substantial.....bottom line : ENJOY the CD`s , as soon as they are with you........

Edited by soulpope

I didn't realize until learning about this reissue series from this thread that Art Blakey's Big Band on Bethlehem even existed. I found Coltrane's The Bethlehem Years, which includes the Blakey date and Winner's Circle, for $5 at a shop today. :tup

Good score!

Winner's Circle is one I like a lot.

Indeed. I played Winners Circle last night (the previous mini lp series) - really a very nice record; as a consequence I preordered this 2cd Coltrane set to be released on the 12th of March '14 (of course I could have get just the Art Blakey Big Band released last year but it was not available from cdjapan, so... - I ll check the mastering differences of the Winners CD for the forum's benefit...) along with two more Bethlehem titles to be released that date (Stan Levey/Plays the compositions, and the Terry Pollard ones); a very productive ordering session last night thanks to this forum :tup , with some tiltles from the Sony reissues (Garner Paris, Willen x 2 , Duke suites, Ornette, Woods x 2, Louis at Town Hall, Parker Birdland), Prestige 7000 (Sonny Criss Kaleidoscope, Teddy Charles collaboration West, James Moody x 3), Atlantic (Teddy Charles Bird).

I just received the 2-cd japanese set of "John Coltrane - Turning Point - The Bethlehem Years" (CDSOL-6155, 12/03/2014). It includes 46 tracks and is an extended "Art Blakey Big Band" release:

3 x Midriff, 8 x Aint Life Grand, 2 x El Toro Valiente, 5 x The kiss of no return, 8 x The Outer World, 4 X Oasis, 7 x Tippin and 7 x Pristine.

Actually all these tracks are from the "Art Blakey Big Band" Bethlehem LP, with "Late Date" missing from the 2-cd set. Do you happen to know the reason? Perhaps Coltrane does not play in this particular track?

Also, none of the Winner's Circle LP tracks are included in the 2-Cd set.

I like my recently acquired The Bethlehem Years and it drives part of me crazy to think that it now has been made obsolete by a more extensive reissue. However, another part of me thinks that 7 or 8 takes of the same tune may very well be too much of a good thing.

note that this new double Bethlehem Coltrane/Blakey set (It's actually a reissue of an earlier TOCJ double called "The Outer World") does not contain the master takes of each title (that was on the Art Blakey Big Band Bethlehem LP) & yes, omits "Late Date" even though it contains 46 titles

It's not a time/space issue as each CD only contains 54-55 mins of music - I'm wondering if the master takes were composites? - anyone who has the Wild "Coltrane reference" -> it's all there

so keep your old US version of the double CD - this contains the master takes & the Coltrane inclusive titles from "Winners Circle"

Am I amused?

You bet I'm not!

Really sorry to hear about his negative experience of yours - as mentioned mine made on average within 3 weeks to my place - but experiences seems to vary with a number of japanese dealers, another otherwise reliable (small) japanese dealer`s order of mine is now delayed already for more than a week and no explanation from his side....Hiroshi Tanno`s service quality was simply mirroring a different attitude (=old school....)....although this is most likely unsatisfying to you, I`ve learned (aka had to get used to) over the years being ok with it when the goods from Japan make it factory sealed and well packed to me at all...of course HMV Japan (when you can make it through their protracted ordering system for international clients) or CDJapan are shipping considerably faster, but the uptick for doing so is quite substantial.....bottom line : ENJOY the CD`s , as soon as they are with you........

This is unfortunate - I've had nothing but good outcomes with the Japanese dealers, esp CD Japan & HMV Japan

My most recent order, a number of the new Bethlehems & the Coltrane in Japan SHM set with the extra interview disc got here in 3 days after shipping (usually within 1-3 days of ordering)

Are there problems with using HMV Japan in Europe?

Am I amused?

You bet I'm not!

Really sorry to hear about his negative experience of yours - as mentioned mine made on average within 3 weeks to my place - but experiences seems to vary with a number of japanese dealers, another otherwise reliable (small) japanese dealer`s order of mine is now delayed already for more than a week and no explanation from his side....Hiroshi Tanno`s service quality was simply mirroring a different attitude (=old school....)....although this is most likely unsatisfying to you, I`ve learned (aka had to get used to) over the years being ok with it when the goods from Japan make it factory sealed and well packed to me at all...of course HMV Japan (when you can make it through their protracted ordering system for international clients) or CDJapan are shipping considerably faster, but the uptick for doing so is quite substantial.....bottom line : ENJOY the CD`s , as soon as they are with you........

This is unfortunate - I've had nothing but good outcomes with the Japanese dealers, esp CD Japan & HMV Japan

My most recent order, a number of the new Bethlehems & the Coltrane in Japan SHM set with the extra interview disc got here in 3 days after shipping (usually within 1-3 days of ordering)

Are there problems with using HMV Japan in Europe?

No problems reg HMV Japan shippment to Europe, me believe - but also as returning customer sometimes it takes several tries to make it to the final check-out page........and it works suddenly as if based on a random generator....but probably based on me being "extra dumb" :rfr

Edited by soulpope

have copied from the current Discography section - thought it may be helpful here

Since this Bethlehem/Solid series commenced there have been bonus CDs with each batch - usually a single CD but with the most recent lots they are offering 2

I've just had a friend in Japan translate the info on the OBI & indeed if you send 5 coupons you can choose one of the two promo only discs - you can get both with 10 coupons (these are on the right hand bottom corner of a middle page of the CD booklet)

You just cut these coupons from the booklet & send them to an address in Tokyo - unfortunately this offer is for for Japanese customers only

Luckily for me my friend in Japan has offered to send the coupons on for me (I've mailed them to her) to Solid/Verse Japan & they will send the discs to her & eventually they will get back to me

the series so far (5 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S Bethlehem's Girl Friends (LP 6006) (1st batch 6001- 6030 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000SS Donna Brooks - Soft & Slow (EP 104) (2nd batch 6031- 6060 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000SSS Marty Napoleon - Sings & Swings (EP 106) (3rd batch 6061- 6090 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S4 Mel Torme - California Suite (LP 6016) (4th batch 6091- 6120 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S5 Tommy Watt With Tubby Hayes - Watt's Cooking (LP 6062) (5th batch 6121- 6155 i.e. 35 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S6 AJQ - Three Penny Opera (LP 6062) (5th batch 6121- 6155 i.e. 35 releases)

nothing essential here but I wouldn't mind the AJQ & Tubby material

have copied from the current Discography section - thought it may be helpful here

Since this Bethlehem/Solid series commenced there have been bonus CDs with each batch - usually a single CD but with the most recent lots they are offering 2

I've just had a friend in Japan translate the info on the OBI & indeed if you send 5 coupons you can choose one of the two promo only discs - you can get both with 10 coupons (these are on the right hand bottom corner of a middle page of the CD booklet)

You just cut these coupons from the booklet & send them to an address in Tokyo - unfortunately this offer is for for Japanese customers only

Luckily for me my friend in Japan has offered to send the coupons on for me (I've mailed them to her) to Solid/Verse Japan & they will send the discs to her & eventually they will get back to me

the series so far (5 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S Bethlehem's Girl Friends (LP 6006) (1st batch 6001- 6030 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000SS Donna Brooks - Soft & Slow (EP 104) (2nd batch 6031- 6060 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000SSS Marty Napoleon - Sings & Swings (EP 106) (3rd batch 6061- 6090 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S4 Mel Torme - California Suite (LP 6016) (4th batch 6091- 6120 i.e. 30 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S5 Tommy Watt With Tubby Hayes - Watt's Cooking (LP 6062) (5th batch 6121- 6155 i.e. 35 releases)

CDSOL- 6000S6 AJQ - Three Penny Opera (LP 6062) (5th batch 6121- 6155 i.e. 35 releases)

nothing essential here but I wouldn't mind the AJQ & Tubby material

If you want the Tubby Hayes, it is available as a Vocalion reissue. I haven't looked, but is the Huphrey Lyttleton also reissued in some other form, if anyone knows?

• 2 months later...

There is one Japanese seller on eBay whose prices are still reasonable, ftfym65.

True. My experience with Maximum Rare Records of Japan (ftfym65), however, has been hit-or-miss. This seller doesn't necessarily have all the items he lists as in stock. He does have rare discs — no question there — but if you're ordering (buy-it-now) a disc that's, say, from two years ago — e-mail first to check that it's actually in stock. Just a heads-up for those posting here. I'm not discouraging shopping with Maximum Rare; I'm just trying to prevent some (potential) frustration for members here. I have purchased a few SHM-CDs from this seller without problem. Shipping is slow though. In contrast, the credit card purchase goes through right away. :rolleyes:

You're right about Maximum Rare Records Japan (ftfym65 on eBay). Over the last year they have become progressively slower to ship items bought on eBay. It can literally take them two weeks to dispatch an order. When I emailed them about this delay and explained the item was purchased as a birthday gift, they were friendly and promised to ship the next day which they did. Maddening. I'm waiting for another order to ship now. It will probably be my last with them. There was one occasion last year where they had completely forgotten about my order.

Edited by erwbol

my friend in Japan came through & managed to source two of the bonus CDs (arrived today) - The AJQ Three Penny Opera & Tommy Watt Orchestra (with Tubby Hayes)

An added bonus that they sent me is a booklet of the complete series (155 discs plus the 6 bonus ones) - a pic & description (in Japanese) of each release

I'm so impressed with this series that I've been slowly buying lots of 10 from HMV Japan (have almost 130 of them) - currently landing them for approx $12 (Aus) - once the batch is more than a year old, HMV drop the price to 810Yen (multi buy special offer)

I'm a big fan of this series too, don't have any bonus discs but I have all but about a dozen of the releases, those I had in other forms and didn't feel I needed to have the new ones as they aren't favorites. This is the best I've heard the Bethlehem catalog on cd, and I am really enjoying them.

There is one Japanese seller on eBay whose prices are still reasonable, ftfym65.

True. My experience with Maximum Rare Records of Japan (ftfym65), however, has been hit-or-miss. This seller doesn't necessarily have all the items he lists as in stock. He does have rare discs — no question there — but if you're ordering (buy-it-now) a disc that's, say, from two years ago — e-mail first to check that it's actually in stock. Just a heads-up for those posting here. I'm not discouraging shopping with Maximum Rare; I'm just trying to prevent some (potential) frustration for members here. I have purchased a few SHM-CDs from this seller without problem. Shipping is slow though. In contrast, the credit card purchase goes through right away. :rolleyes:

You're right about Maximum Rare Records Japan (ftfym65 on eBay). Over the last year they have become progressively slower to ship items bought on eBay. It can literally take them two weeks to dispatch an order. When I emailed them about this delay and explained the item was purchased as a birthday gift, they were friendly and promised to ship the next day which they did. Maddening. I'm waiting for another order to ship now. It will probably be my last with them. There was one occasion last year where they had completely forgotten about my order.

I've had similar experience with ftfym65, rare discs that seem to be out of print, actually prove to be not available. I go to them only when I can't source through CD Japan, at one time I thought that might be two of the same.

I've just received a shipping notice from ftfym65. :tup Perhaps they read Organissimo? Ha. :P

• 1 month later...

I've been playing my Affinity CD containing both of Charlie Mariano's Bethlehem albums today and I wondered whether anyone can comment on the sound of the equivalent Japanese re-issues. The problem with my Affinity CD is that whilst Charlie is up front and very clear, his backing group is way back in the mix and sounds very muddy. The music on my CD was licensed from Charly Records so is hardly likely to be the highest of fi!

Anyway, I'm not sure whether the two Charlie Mariano albums were part of the release programme earlier this year and the information on the two albums showing on Amazon at the moment states that one is a "Toshiba" release and the other is a "Japanese Import". Both albums are also available as "Solid/Bethlehem" releases at HMV Japan, but like someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, I too cannot work out how to place an order with them.

So, how do they sound and which version should I go for?

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I recently picked up Mingus' A Modern Jazz Symposium. I already had an older version, and one of the tracks was plagued with digital glitches, as handily noted in the below Amazon review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1DCTWN3V008PF/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00B2KDD56&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=5174&store=music

"This review concerns production defects in both the Shout! Factory (2005) and Avenue Jazz (2001) reissues of one of Charles Mingus' best recordings. I purchased the Shout! Factory reissue of "A Modern Jazz Symposium", hoping that the digital ticks on the previous issue of the CD (Avenue Jazz, ISBN: 0-8122-76678-2) had been corrected. They have not been fixed. Ticks can be heard on Track 4 ("Duke's Choice") at 2:29, 4:40, 5:40 and 5:42 on both the 2001 and 2005 releases of the CD. This means that Shout! Factory reused the same defective master that was released in 2001."

It thought i'd take a chance on the 2013 reissue and was happy to find that it is glitch free. Worth noting! A link below to the glitch free version:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ア・モダン・ジャズ・シンポジウム・オブ・ミュージック・アンド・ポエトリー-3-チャールス・ミンガス/dp/B00B2KDD56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434762110&sr=8-1&keywords=mingus+symposium