• Art Blakey – Hard Drive

• Art Blakey – Art Blakey Big Band

• Pepper Adams – Motor City Scene

• Charli Persip – Charles Persip and the Jazz Statesmen

• Charles Mingus – East Coasting

• Herbie Nichols – Love, Gloom, Cash, Love

• Booker Little – Booker Little and Friend

Edited by J.A.W.

The Nina Simone is very good, her first and probably her best release. (Ducks under chair).

I went out of my way to get the two Ellingtons and the three Mingus. They sound amazing in their newest incarnations.

Edited by jazzbo

Has the Teddy Charles "On Campus" been recently released? - can't find it on CD Japan or HMV Japan

My copy was released in Japan in 2000, Toshiba/Bethlehem TOCJ-62058.

Personnel:

Sam Most - flute

Zoot Sims - tenor saxophone

Teddy Charles - vibraphone

Dave McKenna - piano

Jimmy Raney - guitar

Bill Crow - bass

Ed Shaughnessy - drums

Has the Teddy Charles "On Campus" been recently released? - can't find it on CD Japan or HMV Japan

Personnel:

Sam Most - flute

Dave McKenna - piano

Jimmy Raney - guitar

Bill Crow - bass

Ed Shaughnessy - drums

OK, didn't think it was

Hans, looks like all of the other ones on your list have had a 2013 release

Hopefully we'll see some Teddy Charles, Bobby Scott, Milt Hinton, Herbie Harper, Australian Jazz Quartet, Urbie Green, Ralph Burns & the final Howard McGhee sometime this year

Personnel:

Sam Most - flute

Dave McKenna - piano

Jimmy Raney - guitar

Bill Crow - bass

Ed Shaughnessy - drums

OK, didn't think it was

Hans, looks like all of the other ones on your list have had a 2013 release

Hopefully we'll see some Teddy Charles, Bobby Scott, Milt Hinton, Herbie Harper, Australian Jazz Quartet, Urbie Green, Ralph Burns & the final Howard McGhee sometime this year

The ones I have are all Japanese releases from the late 1990s/early 2000s.

According to CDJapan many of the Japanese Bethlehem reissues are already OOP.

you can still get them all from HMV Japan (the whole series so far from 2013) - just before Christmas I did a big order with them (ones I missed out from CD Japan)

They actually have some on special (850 Yen - multi buy) - shipping is a bit more expensive with HMV but I've been landing them each for $14Aus

When CD Japan list their discs as OOP, they are usually still available elsewhere

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions.

Some of the OOP Japanese discs are still available on ebay. I have good experiences with seller ftfym65 from Japan.

Amazon.co.jp still has the Nichols, but their shipping to the EU is more expensive (though fast).

Edited by erwbol

I have.

The new ones are better in my opinion, more tonally accurate and more lively sounding. I don't have any of the very recent Toshiba ones, I have a lot of the first batch of Toshibas, and all the American (including very early cds). I like these Japanese ones best of ALL. They are perhaps a BIT loud for some purists but they are not squashed dynamically, plenty of nuance in that regard and you can get some decent volume without mishap. I've been collecting them and have about 85 percent of them.

I have.

The new ones are better in my opinion, more tonally accurate and more lively sounding. I don't have any of the very recent Toshiba ones, I have a lot of the first batch of Toshibas, and all the American (including very early cds). I like these Japanese ones best of ALL. They are perhaps a BIT loud for some purists but they are not squashed dynamically, plenty of nuance in that regard and you can get some decent volume without mishap. I've been collecting them and have about 85 percent of them.

Thanks. I'm not really a purist, but I don't like "loud". Taking into account that we almost always disagree on sound, I think there's a chance I might not like the latest Japanese reissues.

Anyway, thanks again.

Not what you were asking for, Hans, but I prefer the 1994 Nichols (Bethlehem 20-30112) to the new Japanese release (CDSOL-6008). Besides the bit loud mastering the bass seems somewhat boosted. Otherwise there is no real gain for that title imo.

I have to agree with Lon that East Coasting is sonically very enjoyable and dynamic. I have however nothing earlier to compare it against.

I was wondering where these Bethlehem sessions were recorded. Probably not a case of all the same studio and engineer like Van Gelder for Blue Note?

I have the Nichols on the way to me to compare. I bet I prefer it.

I was checkout out my 'nineties cd player to give to my brother when his started acting up (he decided to buy a blu-ray player instead) and spun a few of these and didn't prefer them to an earlier copy (used The Chase and Historically Speaking) was sort of a wash, but they shine mightily on my new Transport/DAC combo. I've found that to be true of many new cds: they don't sound as good on the older players as the newer ones. For whatever reason.

Anyway, I agree about Porgy and Bess, that Bethlehem version has some nice tracks but overall "meh."

Edited by jazzbo

This is now getting off-topic, but back in 1998 there was a Gershwin 100th anniversary program at Carnegie Hall with Michael Tilson Thomas and the SF Symphony, abetted by guest performers. Audra McDonald and Brian Stokes-Mitchell did a medley of Porgy & Bess tunes that was outstanding. I found one clip on YouTube:

I found a CD release, but this may be a studio recording. There was an encore in the show of It Ain't Necessarily So that's not on here:

510KzD5u4hL._SY300_.jpg

I realised how few of these titles I had in any format. I pulled the trigger on a three which will make their way here from the Orient in due course. Quite a number of these sessions are on spoilify and sound merely average at best.

Missed out on the Nichols ( at a sensible price) although I have the Charly edition from 1989 ( it sounds pretty good - but I've never heard another version ) Oh , for those lost tracks ! Maybe one day. Now that'd be worth celebrating.