Andrew Hill

Milestones

I’m curious to hear what people have to say about Andrew Hill. By most accounts, he is a major figure, and he was certainly highly prolific on Blue Note. He did spend quite a bit of time in obscurity, before a comeback period shortly before his death. I do have some of the later stuff, such as Dusk and the big band album; but principally I have focused on the 60s Blue Note years. The Mosaic box with various groups is certainly quite good; the tracks with strings are among the best stuff I have ever heard in this vein. I also have a fondness for the nonet album Passing Ships, which sat in the can for over 3 decades. Of course, there are the long-standing classics like Point of Departure.

I doubt that few would doubt his significance as composer and band leader. I notice that he always featured his own compositions—every track of every album, even Lift Every Voice which you’d expect to be traditional spirituals. He hardly ever revisited songs. I don’t think there’s another Blue Note artist who can match that compositional dominance; perhaps only Horace Silver comes close.

Edited by Milestones

Sorry to do it again - but really, if you're interested, why not do a quick search?

Here's the official Organissimo Forums Andrew Hill SpaceTM:

There are many other threads around, probably one to three on just about each and every CD he ever released (yep, others are too lazy to search as well), several recommendations threads, discographical ones, threads on Hill gigs etc. etc.

Sorry to do it again - but really, if you're interested, why not do a quick search?

There are many other threads around, probably one to three on just about each and every CD he ever released (yep, others are too lazy to search as well), several recommendations threads, discographical ones, threads on Hill gigs etc. etc.

Totally agreed.

Totally agreed.

I agree too.

Well, yeah ... but you were asking "what people have to say about Andrew Hill" and a lof of people here have said that. Some are still around and likely not to say it again, so it's worth looking up what's around ... and as for others who were not here back then, they could just as well post in a previous thread.

This forum is used as a source of information by many - by many not registered here, also, because it often turns up high in google searches and there IS an awful lot of collective (and individual) knowledge around ... and my point is that it makes sense to keep it together. But I guess in these days of facebook and short attention spans my attempts to keep an overview of knowledge and even try and structure it make me look like a guy from 18c.

But I'm fighting windmills ...

Well, yeah ... but you were asking "what people have to say about Andrew Hill" and a lof of people here have said that. Some are still around and likely not to say it again, so it's worth looking up what's around ... and as for others who were not here back then, they could just as well post in a previous thread.

This forum is used as a source of information by many - by many not registered here, also, because it often turns up high in google searches and there IS an awful lot of collective (and individual) knowledge around ... and my point is that it makes sense to keep it together. But I guess in these days of facebook and short attention spans my attempts to keep an overview of knowledge and even try and structure it make me look like a guy from 18c.

Totally agreed - again...

Totally agreed - again...

Likewise

I agree that it's preferable for posters to check whether there are any existing threads first prior to launching a new thread. It's not that "it's all been said before" but more a matter of keeping our collective wisdom/views arranged neatly.

Totally agreed - again... Likewise

I agree that it's preferable for posters to check whether there are any existing threads first prior to launching a new thread. It's not that "it's all been said before" but more a matter of keeping our collective wisdom/views arranged neatly.

It will happen again

"what people have to say about Andrew Hill".... I saw him Live,in mid 60s,just a handsome dude in custom made suits.

Seemed like he was trying to expand on Monk,but I could't get into his compositions or dissonant playing

but I did like Point of Departure due to Eric dolphy,Joe henderson & tony williams.

Because maybe there is nothing wrong with NEW discussion.

Agreed, there's nothing wrong with new discussion. That said, there's also nothing wrong with using the OLD discussion as a foundation for the new one. There's something fairly presumptuous and egotistical about your insistence on starting a new thread every single time. I realize this comes off as harsh, but since you are a relatively new member of this community I encourage you to exercise some mild deference for what existed here before you arrived.