Marian McPartland 1918-2013

Mark Stryker

If someone could be said to ooze class, it was Marian. I always took such great delight in listening to her on PJ -- she was like a giddy young girl so full of enthusiasm with every guest I ever heard her with and seemed to so greatly the duets that were a staple of that show. She was also on Bob Edwards and was so charming and self-effacing. I will really miss her.

I remember when Piano Jazz first came on. I was skeptical at first, knew very little of McPartland as a player, and her semi-giggly British White Lady voice had me wondering Oh jeez, this is gonna be as unnecessary as it will be disastrous.

Well, I could not have been more wrong, and it didn't take that very much long to realize it.The Piano Jazz archives are a wonderful resource, if not always for performances, then for anecdotes, revealing of personalities, whatever, as much a revealing of the people as of the music. Two pianists talking piano, excellent premise excellently executed over a lot of years.

RIP, and thanks.