Linda Ronstadt - illness prevents singing

GA Russell

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, to me, the songbooks Ella is THE Ella, and I think her interpretations of those songs are truly what made her an icon. Occasionally, people become icons because, well, they deserve it!

gregmo

Many Ella admirers feel that her finest recordings of standards were her pre-songbooks Gershwin recordings with pianist Ellis Larkins:

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Ella-Original-Decca-Recordings/dp/B000003N3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8oYz55KSlA

• 5 years later...

Recently picked up a super-cheap used copy of the two-CD set that collects all three of Ronstadt’s collaborations with Riddle—I’ve always been curious to hear them. So far I have to agree with Jsngry’s assessments, both about Ronstadt’s singing (a pleasant enough voice, but she seems to be in the same torchy emotional key no matter what the song she’s performing) and the lifelessness of Riddle’s arrangements (though I know he was in declining health at the time). These records were certainly successful in a commercial sense, especially the first one, and though not the first rock-to-standards effort, as Jim pointed out (and don’t forget Willie Nelson, though he was coming out of country, I realize), perhaps the ones, along with Nelson’s, that established the marketplace viability, for better or worse, of such projects.

Edited by ghost of miles