The Duke Pearson Big Band: Baltimore 1969

mjzee

Uptown strikes again! I just noticed this on Amazon. Release date September 17:

81tV6Mpy4aL._SL1406_.jpg

If it's from Baltimore, can we assume it's from the Left Bank?

Here's the description from Amazon:

The Duke Pearson Big Band of the late 1960s featured great soloists Donald Byrd, Burt Collins, Lew Tabackin, Frank Foster and Pepper Adams. Drummer Mickey Roker propelled the 16 piece band with fire. All this is on display at the April 1969 Baltimore concert issued for the first time on this CD. Where the studio recordings featured relatively short pieces, this concert presents the band stretching out in full force. Even 44 years later, this is big band jazz at its finest and a clear demonstration of Duke Pearson's great talents as a leader, pianist, composer and arranger.

Edited by mjzee

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally.

I wonder in what way Sunenblick will acknowledge my involvement, if at all.

Bertrand.

What is your involvement?

BTW, this one looks like a must-have!

I tracked down the people who have the tapes for him. I never heard after from him on how he fared. I know he got a few things, including the Pearson, which was the initial quest of his hunt.

The possibility that Uptown has gotten in its hands on other Left Bank tapes is almost more exciting than this particular release, which I will definitely snatch very soon. I remember when Joel Dorn was supposed to have some group of Left Bank tapes ... and then he died and no one knew what happened to them or if he really had them or not. Too bad Sunneblick seems to play things pretty close to the vest, we may just have to wait and wonder.

Hank Mobley at Left Bank

11/28/65: Hank Mobley (leader)/Johnny Coles/Reuben Brown/Wilbur Little/Bertell Knox

4/10/66: Hank Mobley (leader)/McCoy Tyner/Eddie Marshall (bass)/Jack DeJohnette

5/15/66: Freddie Hubbard (leader)/Hank Mobley/Ronnie Mathews/Paul Chambers/'Philly' Joe Jones

3/26/67: Jimmy Heath (leader)/Hank Mobley/Cedar Walton/Mickey Roker (no bass player listed)

11/12/67: Wynton Kelly (leader)/Hank Mobley/Cecil McBee/Jimmy Cobb

12/6/70: Wynton Kelly (leader)/Hank Mobley/Lisle Atkinson/Lee Abrams (drums)

2/27/72: Cedar Walton (leader)/Hank Mobley/Charles Davis/Sam Jones/Billy Higgins/Etta Jones

Again, don't know which (if any were taped), except the 1967 Wynton Kelly which was released.

Bertrand.

This is a little off the topic, but Bernard, do you know any of these musicals from the Left Bank Society?:http://www.flickr.com/photos/jackman_on_jazz/sets/72157629374048702/

Man, somebody start a whole new thread about this -- should generate a LOT of interesting discussion and speculation. Stat!!