Horace Parlan - "Home is Africa" (Ronnie Boykins) - other versions?

Rooster_Ties

Horace Parlan recorded this Boykins-penned tune on 2/15/63 for Blue Note -- w/ Johnny Coles, Booker Ervin, Grant Green, Butch Warren (not Boykins), and Billy Higgins -- which I believe was first issued in the 70's, under Ervin's name (not Parlan).

What's the story on this tune? (Apologies if the answer's in my own copy of the Parlan Mosaic -- my copy of the liners are in a box buried under four other boxes).

Did Ronnie Boykins ever record it? Are there any other versions extant? - of any sort (later remakes, or other contemporaneous versions).

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Just stumbled on this quote (from an Organissimo thread, no less), just searching Google on Parlan's and Boykins' names together ().

Well....if you can believe Ronnie Boykins, Lion dropped Horace Parlan because Boykins insisted on keeping the publishing for one of his tunes on a Parlan date. I guess Parlan wouldn't intervene or something...

I presume "Home is Africa" is the tune (how could it not be?).

And some more Googing reveals that the actual name of the tune is (or may be)...

"Home IN Africa" (not "is") -- according to two sources (both links go to Google cashed sources), here1, and here2, and here's a third: here3.

==========

Also, I *think* THIS might be a modern remake (track 10). Not convinced (100%), but based on the 30-second sound-clip, it sure could be.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Another cool Boykins tune - from his only leader-date, on ESP (1975)

"The Will Come, Is Now" (Ronnie Boykins) -- self-titled album (ESP, 1975)

On 8/29/2013 at 10:53 PM, BeBop said:

????????

I only have a download on my MP3 player, so no liner notes at hand. Is this the same? "Le Jazz Fait Son Cirque"

Edited to add: Looks like Rooster beat me to that version.

Sure sounds like the same tune to me...

...and your link (with all the question marks) has the added advantage of playing a LOT longer than any of the samples I was able to find. Thanks!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...