7. Soul Eyes (16:42)

Total Time 66:49

- George Coleman / tenor saxophone

- Harold Mabern / piano
- Ray Drummond / bass
- Alvin Queen / drums

Reissued on Evidence ECD-22021 (CD) 1992
Theresa - TR 126 (LP) 1987

Recorded Live at Yoshi's Night Club, Oakland (Aug 1987)
Tracks 3 & 6 Recorded Studio In San Francisco, CA (Aug 1987)

Edited by marcello

This is the one to get:

george-coleman-at-yoshis-live(live)-2012

1. They Say It's Wonderful (11:24)

2. Good Morning Heartache (8:38)

3. Laig Gobblin' Blues (4:05)

4. Io (6:36)

5. Up Jumped Spring (12:14)

6. Father (7:10)

7. Soul Eyes (16:42)

Total Time 66:49

- George Coleman / tenor saxophone

- Harold Mabern / piano

- Ray Drummond / bass

- Alvin Queen / drums

Reissued on Evidence ECD-22021 (CD) 1992

Theresa - TR 126 (LP) 1987

Recorded Live at Yoshi's Night Club, Oakland (Aug 1987)

Tracks 3 & 6 Recorded Studio In San Francisco, CA (Aug 1987)

:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

One of the great piano players !

About Mabern with Lee Morgan, I´d also recommend the double CD "Night of the Cookers" with Freddie Hubbard + Lee Morgan and Harold Mabern on piano. Though the sound quality is not the best, it has it´s great moments and Mabern really stretches out on those long tracks.

Really, the first listening experience with Mabern I had a long time ago, I think it was some Wes Montgomery from Europe, Paris I think from 1965 with Harold Mabern on it. I still remember he was especially strong on "Impressions".

I'll third Straight Street and add another DIW title "Mabern's Grooveyard" as well. When I lived in NYC about 10 years ago, you could go to Smoke on many evenings and find Mabes there either playing or enjoying (as he was on the night I caught John Patton). As a sideman, he also shows up on a number of terrific Eric Alexander recordings. He's also one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to meet in jazz and this thread will serve as a reminder that I need to see him as much as humanly possible given his advanced age.

I've got a lot of CDs with Mabern on them. Not a dud in the bunch.

If you like George Coleman with him, be aware that Eric Alexander was George's student and as mentioned above, he uses Mabern on a lot of his dates, so look at Alexander's discography for some great Jazz. Also, check your local club for the next time Alexander comes to town. Harold Mabern is incredible live.

Some favorites of mine

Harold as a leader:

Don't Know Why (Venus)

Kiss Of Fire (Venus)

Straight Street (DIW)

With Eric Alexander:

Summit Meeting

Extra Innings

Heavy Hitters

The First Milestone

Up, Over & Out

I keep meaning to pick up the CD of Mabern's "A Few Miles From Memphis" but I've yet to find an affordable copy. The Prestige vinyl is very nice.

Kevin

Two good ones that feature George Coleman:

post-158-0-79840200-1377817908_thumb.jpg

post-158-0-22483000-1377817929_thumb.jpg

Wailin' features Hubert Laws, Lee Morgan, George Coleman, Idris Muhammad and Buster Williams.

Rakin' And Scrapin' is only available on vinyl. Personnel includes Blue Mitchell, George Coleman, Bill Lee and Hugh Walker.

Really, the first listening experience with Mabern I had a long time ago, I think it was some Wes Montgomery from Europe, Paris I think from 1965 with Harold Mabern on it. I still remember he was especially strong on "Impressions".

That was in March 1965 at the Théatre des Champs-Elysées. My first and only chance to hear Montgomery live. A great concert it was.

Part of the concert came out on the illegal Esoldun release

043189.jpg

attachicon.gif41544V8KZDL._SL160_.jpg

attachicon.gif51F7Is0jR9L._AA160_.jpg

Wailin' features Hubert Laws, Lee Morgan, George Coleman, Idris Muhammad and Buster Williams.

Rakin' And Scrapin' is only available on vinyl. Personnel includes Blue Mitchell, George Coleman, Bill Lee and Hugh Walker.

Rakin' and Scrapin' is a good one.

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gif41544V8KZDL._SL160_.jpg

attachicon.gif51F7Is0jR9L._AA160_.jpg

'Rakin' and scrapin'' is (or was) available on the PR twofer 'A few miles from Memphis' (PRCD24288). (Just looked at Amazon UK Jeez, what fuckin' prices!)

I like his Prestige material a lot, but REALLY like his Venus albums. Got the first one in 2002, when visiting Tokyo: 'Kiss of fire', which I still think of as my favourite Mabern album. But 'Fantasy', 'Don't know why' and 'Falling in love with love' please me very greatly, too.

Don't forget, Mabern goes way back in Soul Jazz. He was on Jimmy Forrest's 2 Delmark albums, with Grant Green - 'All the gin is gone' and Black Forrest'.

Real power in that piano playing!

MG

Here's a two-piano effort: Harold with the young Geoff Keezer...a live recording in Toronto that I did for Sackville Records.

51hLBbhjhFL._SY300_.jpg

It's a good one, but for me most two piano recordings are one piano too many. Generally too much effort required to figure out who's playing what and when. I'm lazy.

Hope you exempt Albert Ammons and Pete Johnson from that, John! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIVJw8yX6GY