BFT 113 IDs

NIS

This month and the whole summer for that matter have gone by way to fast for me. I'm thinking that anyone who wanted to weigh in has, plus the boss has designs for most of my weekend (and sadly not in a good way), so I'm going to get this started. It will probably take most of the day to get it done anyway.

1) 51XSC6YYNTL._SX300_.jpg

Buell Neidlinger Quintet - Lady Sings The Blues (Herbie Nichols)

from Blue Chopsticks

Marty Krystall – reeds; Hugh Shick – brass; Richard Greene – violin; Jimbo Ross – viola; Neidlinger – cello

This one got a pretty good response. Herbie Nichols!

2 & 3) R-150-2885979-1353416458-9625.jpeg

Perry RobinsonThe Call (Robinson) &

Atomic Twist (Robinson)

from The Traveller

Robinson – clarinet; Hilly Dolganes – piano; Frank Luther – bass; Phillip Wilson – drums

This album makes me smile a whole lot. I have to admitt that a friend made the copies for me as my used store album is not in the best condition. If this ever makes it to CD, I will be one of the first in line.

4) Adam-Fairhall-The-Imaginary-Delta.jpg

Adam Fairhall Arabian Fantasy (Fairhall)

from The Imaginary Delta

Fairhall – piano; James Allsopp – clarinets; Chris Bridger – trombone, jug; Steve Cadwick – trumpet; Tim Fairhall – bass; Gaz Huges – diddley bow, laptop, electronic processing, turntable, chains, peppergrinder; Contains samples from Cincinnati Southern Blues performed by Ivy Smith

For my ears, one of the best things I've found in the last couple of years. With song titles that include a Rag, a Stomp and a Shout they certainly have an ear toward the past with a more modern twist.

http://www.adamfairhall.co.uk/projects/the-imaginary-delta/

A nice review:

http://www.birdistheworm.com/adam-fairhall-the-imaginary-delta/

5) 7377299.jpg

Joe McPhee I Remember Clifford (Benny Golson)

from Oleo

McPhee – tenor saxophone; Francois Mechali – double bass

This track is totally different from anything else on the album and except for hearing the Trio X group do a pretty straight version of "How High the Moon" pretty different from any other Joe McPhee I've heard. Of coarse I've haven't heard everything by Mr. McPhee, so maybe some of you guys know his music better than I do.

Review:

http://www.dustedmagazine.com/reviews/1657

I am going to stop here for right now. I will get back to this later in the day.

6) R-150-2421204-1291407354.jpeg

David Grisman Minor Swing (D.Reinhardt/S.Grappelli)

from Hot Dawg

Grisman – mandolin; Stephane Grappelli – violin; Tony Rice – guitar; Mike Marshall – mandolin; Eddie Gomez – bass

7) 41ZFK03SKKL._SX300_.jpg

Sun Ra Pink Elephants On Parade (Wallace/Washington)

from Stay Awake; Various Interpretations Of Music From Vintage Walt Disney Films

Sun Ra – piano; Art Jenkins – vocals; Bruce Edwards – guitar; Pat Patrick – bass; Tom Hunter, Buster Smith, Aveeayl Ra Amen – drums; Owen Brown Jr. - violin; Vincent Chauncey – French horn; John Gilmore – tenor saxophone; Elo Omo – bass clarinet, alto saxophone; Marshall Allen – flute,alto saxophone; Kenny Williams – baritone saxophone; Tyrone Hill – trombone; Fred Adams, Michael Ray, Martin Banks – trumpet; James Jackwon – basson

8) The image I had didn't work. I will try to find another one.

John Tchicai/Charlie Kohlahase/Garrison Fewell Lilanto Del Indio (S. American Folk Tune)

from Good Night Songs

Tchicai – tenor saxophone, bass clarinet, voice, percussion; Kohlhase – tenor, alto, baritone saxophone; Fewell – guitar, chopsticks, percussion

Nice review:

http://jazztimes.com/articles/17332-good-night-songs-john-tchicai-charlie-kohlhase-garrison-fewell

9) 41E9BBY0PCL._SX300_.jpg

The Dirty Dozen Brass BandPlease Let Me Stay A Little Longer (trad)

from Funeral For A Friend

Rodger Lewis – baritone saxophone; Kevin Harris – tenor saxophone; Efrem Towns – trumpet, flugelhorn; org Gregory Davis – trumpet; Sammie Williams – trombone; Jamie Mclean – guitar; Terence Higgins – drums; Kirk Joseph – sousaphone; David Hidalgo – accordian

10) 51E3W72dG4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Georg Graewe/Ernst Reijseger/Gerry Hemingway Continuum Phase Five (group)

from Continuum

Graewe – piano; Reijseger – cello; Hemingway – percussion

11) This one didn't work either. Man this has been a struggle for some reason.

Foxes Fox Set 3 (group)

from Live At The Vortex

Evan Parker – tenor saxophone; Steve Beresford – piano; John Edwards – double bass; Louis Moholo-Moholo – percussion; Kenny Wheeler – trumpet, flugelhorn

I thought maybe someone would recognize Kenny Wheeler.

12) R-150-2931364-1307892898.jpeg

Franco D'Andrea I've Found A New Baby (S.Williams)

from Jazz Italiano Live 2007

D'Andrea – piano; Fabrizio Bosso – trumpet; Gianluca Petrella – trombone; Daniele D'Agaro – clarinet; Aeno De Rossi – drums

There is suppose to be audio of another track at the Casa del Jazz website but I haven't been able to get it to work on my computer.

http://www.casajazz.it/media/franco-dandrea-march

"Traditions and Clusters" (El Galo Rojo) is another D'Andrea album covering some of the same material but with a different group of musicians.

13) 41y9K2G8skL._SX300_.jpg

Irene Schweizer Togetherness One (First Movement) (Don Cherry)

from Chicago Solo Concert

Schweizer – piano

I've only been listening to Ms. Schweizer for a couple of years but she has gone to the top of my list.

Review:

http://ttp://www.onefinalnote.com/reviews/s/schweizer-irene/chicago-piano-solo.asp

Thank you all for having a listen to my little effort. I had fun.

Wow, #5 was Joe McPhee!! Some interesting stuff here. I need to keep an eye out for that Perry Robinson. I'm not familiar with Irene Schweizer but I enjoyed that track. And the Tchicai/Kohlhase/Fewell is something I should already have. That track is flat-out awesome. I will mention this to Charlie actually, if Thom Keith doesn't first. :)

Thanks for this...really enjoyed a lot of what was here and appreciate your efforts in putting together this BFT!

My thoughts:

1. What a great album cover. I had no idea that Richard Greene, who I know started with Bill Monroe and was a member of the early 1970s rock group Seatrain, played music like this.

2,3. I had never heard this Perry Robinson album and found these cuts quite compelling.

4. Wow! I had never heard of this group, but I really want to get this album! To me, this is the ideal situation with these Blindfold Tests, that you get introduced to something new to you, that you really like.

5. That really surprises me that this is Joe McPhee. I had not heard him recorded on material like this.

6. I have seen hundreds of copies of this album in the used record bins over the years, but never got it. I have heard a good deal of both Grappelli and Grisman though, so I was able to identify both players.

7. Sun Ra always spices up a Blindfold Test, for me. I had not heard this in some time. I have the vinyl album from when it was first released. I was buying all of the Hal Wilner projects in those days.

8. I have previously expressed my wonder that this is John Tchcai.

9. I have previously expressed my wonder that I was unable to identify the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. I was only an ocean and continents apart in my guess.

10. I have some George Graewe albums but could not identify him here. This is really interesting, and makes me want to listen to more Graewe.

11. I have a bunch of Evan Parker CDs and have listened to Kenny Wheeler for years, but could not identify either of them. This is not what I have typically heard Kenny Wheeler play.

12. I have never heard of any of these musicians, and thank you for introducing me to them.

13. I have read Irene Schweizer's name, but had never heard any of her music. I found this very interesting. Her approach is appealing and unique. This makes me want to hear more of her music.

This is a really good BFT. I learned a lot, enjoyed the music very much, and want to investigate several of these artists further. Thanks for putting this one together! I appreciate your thoughtful choices. I also like the way that you added links to this Reveal, for our further reading. I found the linked material very interesting.

Edited by Hot Ptah

Thanks, NIS! I got that Foxes Fox CD in my last Emanem order, but haven't spun it yet, so I have an excuse.

Jeff,

Thanks for your comments and thanks again for doing the heavy lifting with the download link.

Wow, #5 was Joe McPhee!! Some interesting stuff here. I need to keep an eye out for that Perry Robinson. I'm not familiar with Irene Schweizer but I enjoyed that track. And the Tchicai/Kohlhase/Fewell is something I should already have. That track is flat-out awesome. I will mention this to Charlie actually, if Thom Keith doesn't first. :)

Thanks for this...really enjoyed a lot of what was here and appreciate your efforts in putting together this BFT!

Tim,

I really enjoyed your participation and comments. Glad you found somethings you liked.

I guess all you New England guys know each other.

My thoughts:

Thanks for you interesting comments here and in the discussion section.

1. What a great album cover. I had no idea that Richard Greene, who I know started with Bill Monroe and was a member of the early 1970s rock group Seatrain, played music like this.

I didn't know anything about Richard Greene, so you learned me something.

2,3. I had never heard this Perry Robinson album and found these cuts quite compelling.

4. Wow! I had never heard of this group, but I really want to get this album! To me, this is the ideal situation with these Blindfold Tests, that you get introduced to something new to you, that you really like.

That is why I listen to these things. It is fun to recognize something but it is more fun to find something new. Of coarse that can be more costly also.

5. That really surprises me that this is Joe McPhee. I had not heard him recorded on material like this.

6. I have seen hundreds of copies of this album in the used record bins over the years, but never got it. I have heard a good deal of both Grappelli and Grisman though, so I was able to identify both players.

7. Sun Ra always spices up a Blindfold Test, for me. I had not heard this in some time. I have the vinyl album from when it was first released. I was buying all of the Hal Wilner projects in those days.

Mine is an LP also but it is the only Wilner I have. You used a track from the Mingus one on a BFT I think.

8. I have previously expressed my wonder that this is John Tchcai.

9. I have previously expressed my wonder that I was unable to identify the Dirty Dozen Brass Band. I was only an ocean and continents apart in my guess.

10. I have some George Graewe albums but could not identify him here. This is really interesting, and makes me want to listen to more Graewe.

11. I have a bunch of Evan Parker CDs and have listened to Kenny Wheeler for years, but could not identify either of them. This is not what I have typically heard Kenny Wheeler play.

In response to the previous 4 comments, I don't recognize much. Sometimes I even own the albums.

12. I have never heard of any of these musicians, and thank you for introducing me to them.

13. I have read Irene Schweizer's name, but had never heard any of her music. I found this very interesting. Her approach is appealing and unique. This makes me want to hear more of her music.

Much of her earlier stuff that I know of is more on the flat out free side. She has done a number of albums as duos with drummers. Those and a couple of solos are more to my liking.

This is a really good BFT. I learned a lot, enjoyed the music very much, and want to investigate several of these artists further. Thanks for putting this one together! I appreciate your thoughtful choices. I also like the way that you added links to this Reveal, for our further reading. I found the linked material very interesting.

I am very pleased you liked some of this. Next time my wife tells me what I am listening to is weird and I will say Hot Ptah likes it.

Tim, you read my mind. Had to get the brownie points after hearing that as a Kahil El'Zabar; I think he'll get a kick out of that. Pleasantly surprised that I was right about Buell Neidlinger, as he is a fairly new revelation for my ears. I should have got McPhee. Had the opportunity to hear a Trio X set at a church in Boston a couple of years back and was literally next to McPhee the whole evening. What a SOUND!!!!! Seems like I need to build my DDBB collection up a bit, as well.