Shitpissnvomit.. New wave of experimental jazz ?

AvantHard

Hello all,

I just joined the forums, looking forward to being a part of the organissimo community.

Thought I'd start off with a recommendation, as I just came across this new european group called "Shitpissnvomit", I guess they are still pretty underground but their sound is unlike anything I've ever heard ! Check them out a www.shitpissnvomit.com, there's some soundcloud links and stuff.

what do you guys think ? Is this a new wave of something or is it just my frame of reference that is limited? : )

Seems like a joke, but it's a real band, and they appear to be serious.

https://soundcloud.com/shitpissnvomit

We allow pimping a band here, just not spam/flooding.

I know it's not against the rules, and the band sounds halfway interesting.

I'm just incredulous that marketers still haven't figured out that simply being honest is the best way to pimp.

Wrong:

I just came across this new european group called "Shitpissnvomit", I guess they are still pretty underground but their sound is unlike anything I've ever heard !

Right:

Hi everyone, I do US publicity for this new European band and they have a gig coming up in NYC. We think you might enjoy them - they sound like XXXX and YYYY and are excited to be releasing their new album.

Is the problem simply that it's cheaper to hire a 24-year-old who knows little about the music to do a guerrilla marketing blitz than it is to find someone somewhere in NYC who's actually knowledgeable about the target audience?

Edited by Big Wheel

Ah, it's a serious band, and a seriously bad music business. Street-teaming on a one-off like this is a fact of life. Hope it gets them some attention, although, yes, in places where Old & Serious People like us hang out, a better approach would be just to be straight up with it.

But it ain't my place to tell a band and/or its marketers how to run their business, just to keep it between the lines when they do it here.

So hey, AvantHard, do you know these guys? What are their backgrounds, goals, etc.?

wow wow wow, chill out Big Wheel, first of all, how'd you think I suddenly heard of this unknown band ? Answer: one the members is studying in New York for at semester, living in brooklyn.. met him at the vanguard the other night and he introduced me to his project.

now if this is JUST TO UNBELIEVABLE, then I apologize for not going about my thread posting like a private detective..

and by all means JSngry or any other moderator, delete this, don't mind being acused of being a stupid marketer, but I had no intention of slandering the bands name.

And I'll promise only to make negative recommendations from now on, so it'll seem legit.

Oh yeah, I'd like to know who chose the band name, and why. Does the band feel like their music is a bodily excretion/expulsion or something?

I mean, that's not a name you pick at random and then keep the next day unless there's a story behind it.

Well, I asked more or less the same question, and he wouldn't completely answer it.. but It had something to do with a statement about how having the right name/image is supposedly very important, despite the fact that the music is supposed to be at the center.. also he said they were on a mission to "break with expectations".. but who knows, I bought it : )

I think the name has to do with the drummer. Obviously into extreme metal....not that there is any problem with that for me. Even the whole corpse paint and bands shirts. Probably also explains the names of several of the tracks. I actually think the drummer is the weak link. Maybe once he plays in more in this type of setting than he's used too....that could change. Lots of metal drummers come from a Jazz influenced background. No reason that can't be reversed given time.

To answer the main question. I don't consider them that experimental, or breaking with expectations....unless they mean expectations of those that already know them from other non-Jazz projects in other genres/sub-genres of music. Don't get me wrong there is some good stuff in there.

Edited by Blue Train

the only reason to be thankful for the demise of bricks and mortar record shops

"hello, can I have a shitpissnvomit please?"

Take it from me.....in this day and age it's pretty tame.. There actually was even a Japanese band with a somewhat similar name in Japanese called Gerogerigegege. Their stage act from what I have been told at times included the acts and masturbation. Another interesting Japanese band name is Ana-dorei.

There is a group called "Turbonegro"...who were considering Nazipenis as the other alternative for their name.

Edited by Blue Train