Weather Report: The Legendary Unreleased Live 1978-1981

David

Does anyone have any further information on these two upcoming Japanese releases?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WPCR-15177

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=WPCR-15179

The page provides the following description: "Japanese original release of album from Weather Report features unreleased live tracks from 1978 to 1981. Produced and remastered by Peter Erskine. Comes with a description. This is the [first/second] volume."

Each of the volumes are 2CDs and somewhat reasonably priced around $30 before shipping. I already have the Columbia Live and Unreleased 2CD set--which is incredible--so naturally my interest is piqued. That being said, I'd be interested if anyone had any further details on these releases.

THE LEGENDARY UNRELEASED LIVE 1978-1981 VOL 1 2CDS JAP

2013 release. Japan-only release features unreleased live tracks from 1978-1981. Produced and remastered by Peter Erksine. Volume 1 will feature 17 tracks including “8:30”, “Sightseeing”, “ Brown Street”, “The Orphan”, “ Forlorn” “Badia”, “Birdland”, “ A Remark You Made”, “Gibura”, “Mr. Gone in addition to a 2 Jaco bass solos, 2 Peter Erskine solos and a Zawinul/Shorter duet. Joe Z awinul, keyboards, Wayne Shorter, sax, Jaco Pastorius, bass & Peter Erskine, drums

http://www.audiophileimports.com/shop/product.php?productid=22580&cat=280&page=1

HE LEGENDARY UNRELEASED LIVE 1978-1981 2 CDS (Available 8/28/13, place pre-orders now)

2013 release. Japan-only release features unreleased tracks from 1978-1981. Produced and remastered by Peter Erskine. Volume 2 will feature 15 tracks including “Fast City”, “Madagascar”, “Night Passage”, Dream Clock”, “Port Of Entry”, “Rock'n In Rhythm”, Shorter solo, “Three Views Of A Secret”, 'Scarlet Woman”, “Black Market”, “A Remark You Made”, “Teen Town” + a Zawinul acoustic piano piece. Joe Zawinul, keyboards, Wayne Shorter, sax, Jaco Pastorius, bass & Peter Erskine, drums.

http://www.audiophileimports.com/shop/product.php?productid=22581&cat=280&page=2

not sure if this helps ...

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

https://www.sonymusic.com/news/

NEW YORK, Oct. 13, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Legacy Recordings, the catalog division of Sony Music Entertainment, is proud to announce the upcoming release of Weather Report: The Legendary Live Tapes: 1978-1981, a monumental 4 disc boxed set of previously unreleased live concert performances from the groundbreaking electronic jazz-rock-funk ensemble whose revolutionary sounds continue to influence -generations of bands and music aficionados. Weather Report: The Legendary Live Tapes: 1978-1981 will be available on Friday, November 20, 2015.

http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Tapes-Live-Weather-Report/dp/B01543DFZO/

Good to see it back, preordered. Thanks for the heads-up!

Amazon calls it "completely, totally, unapologetically and insanely live" which is no doubt code for overflowing with bad taste, but I'm ok with that. I saw the band a few times during those years, and not once was there more bad taste than there was brilliance, and at least once the brilliance came from Wayne being obviously pissed either at or about Jaco. Wayne didn't bring a knife to a gunfight, he brought a freakin' atomicbeamlaserbomb.

Yeah, this set isn't coming into my house anytime soon, given the $60 list price.  I'm more wired to their early Miroslav Vitous era.

I prefer the Vitous era band too. That's heresy, I know, to the many Jaco fans out there. But those later Weather Report recordings have just never grabbed me.

To my ears, the 2-CD Live in Tokyo set from January 1972 is Weather Report at their peak.

I'm about he least Jaco fan you'll find. But Wayne & Joe were frequently spectacular during these days, which were ironically the peak of everybody bitching about why Wayne didn't play more. That was on the records. Live, the guy was on fire.

Different live. That makes sense. I'm definitely game if Wayne's on fire.

The later studio albums? Meh.

Just my take, of course.

Edited by HutchFan

I'm not a big fan of the recordings of this band any longer, but I saw the band live four times in this time period and as Jim says, it was a different story.

Never got to see the band with Vitous and would love to have, would be eager to get more recordings from the early years.

The last time I saw them with Jaco was at whatever that summer music fest is outside of Detroit, 1981(?). Jaco started the show being obnoxiously loud and overplaying - and by getting all up in Wayne's stage space, very aggressively territorial., and Wayne just was not having it. Wayne always dug in live (at least every time I saw them), but this time, he was going to draw blood, and he did, musically, psychologically, and body language. He was aiming everything at Jaco and damn near literally shooting bullets with his horn and his body. Jaco pulled back into his space and stayed there the rest of the show. Wayne kept shooting him daggers every time he even began to edge over his way. Wayne might prefer to be all Zen-y peaceful and shit, but dig, the guy still came from Newark, still came up with Blakey & Miles, and I don't think that you would want to get into any kind of a showdown with Wayne Shorter, even today. Power in reserve, and do not presume to know how much of it there might be. Odds are, you guess wrong.

My feelings about Jaco are not simple...amazing player and mind, but other than his work with Joni Mitchell, not particularly appealing to me musically. But there's no way to deny his genius, and there's no way to deny his catalytic effect on this version of Weather Report. It's one of those things that you can think what you like, feel what you feel, but it's gonna be what it is no matter what you think or feel about it. And now, it's history, so...yeah. If you want to look at it at all, you just gotta accept all of it as what happened and start from there. Like I said, bad taste aplenty, and even more brilliance, you don't get the one without the other, at least from this thing you don't.

The 1976-1982 box set has 12 bonus live cuts, the complete '8:30' including the restored "Scarlet Woman", all of the Jaco period studio albums, and costs less than half of what  this set is listing for.  So, unless you're really a fan of the Jaco period, that may do for you.  It's good enough for me.  I saw them live with Jaco in the mid-late 70's at Temple University's Ambler Campus, enjoyed the show (John Klemmer opened, and I liked him live, too), but don't remember a lot of the specifics. 

Interesting insights about Wayne and Jaco.

I've enjoyed both the pre-Jaco years and the Jaco years, but i feel like i had my WR 'phase' (honestly, no connotations intended, just can't think of a better way to put it right now) and i like revisiting that material occasionally and have very fond memories but i have no real desire to add new material or create new WR related memories. 

Jaco wise, outside of WR for me i just love the album with Metheny and Bob Moses.

The 1976-1982 box set has 12 bonus live cuts, the complete '8:30' including the restored "Scarlet Woman", all of the Jaco period studio albums, and costs less than half of what  this set is listing for.  So, unless you're really a fan of the Jaco period, that may do for you.  It's good enough for me.  I saw them live with Jaco in the mid-late 70's at Temple University's Ambler Campus, enjoyed the show (John Klemmer opened, and I liked him live, too), but don't remember a lot of the specifics. 

Depends on how you define "really a fan of the Jaco period" ... Sangrey made those points already. Similar here: studio-wise, prefer the earlier albums, but live, the band keeps holding up interest. So this new set might in fact be of way more interest than the studio box (plus it's pretty cheap over here, the US pre-order price seems to be kind of a joke).

I agree, the band continued to be of interest live even after the studio albums dropped off significantly in value, though there was also a decline in quality live after 1976 as the live shows became more scripted.

(And I'd also add that every single WR report album I've heard has at least some stuff worth hearing.)

• 5 weeks later...