Bud Powell: Live at Birdland 1957

Quasimado

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I must have it; will it be orderable in the USA? Or am I going to have to cross the Himalayas on foot, rent a camel, brave the Spartan Winter, risk my life against the Tribal Warriors of Afghanistan, scale a 1000 foot wall, grab a copy and run and then return the same way, bribing border guards to look the other way?

Edited by AllenLowe

........ Or am I going to have to cross the Himalayas on foot, rent a camel, brave the Spartan Winter, risk my life against the Tribal Warriors of Afghanistan, scale a 1000 foot wall, grab a copy and run and then return the same way, bribing border guards to look the other way?

Yes.

I don't see the CD you're looking for when I go to the East Wind site.

I'm sure they'll eventually have it.

That was my assumption and why I posted the link.

I emailed Eastwind yesterday & received a quick response - they will be getting in copies of this & the new Eric Dolphy CD (Muses) ASAP - were released on Nov 25 in Japan

Maximum Rare Records has copies listed (Japanese online dealer - been dealing with them for the past 2 years & service is good plus shipping rates are low)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUD-POWELL-LIVE-BIRDLAND-1957-JAPAN-ISSUE-CD-999-Ltd-Ed-G00-/271332405871?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item3f2cabf26f

also the Dolphy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERIC-DOLPHY-MUSES-JAPAN-ISSUE-CD-999-Ltd-Ed-G00-/370952491518?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item565e7dd1fe

these ain't cheap (all prices are 2600-2800 yen or $30 to $33 US on all dealers I've come across) - still think they're worth it, esp the Dolphy with the unreleased track (Muses) & alternates

How much music is there on the Powell disc? Can anybody provide timings?

These ARE pricy ... and I think I won't get the Dolphy. I'd be all for a 2CD set of the entire sessions though, but this one seems to be a bit expensive for a few alternates and not that much music (I know there's one new tune there, too, but 40$ for one tune, by all my love for Dolphy ...)

just received this email from Eastwind ...

Hello,

The Bud Powell CD is now in stock. Please order at our website:
www.eastwindimport.com

Thank you,

Hajime Sato
Eastwind Import
hajime@eastwindimport.com
714-334-0759 (California time)
www.eastwindimport.com

EDIT - Ordered a copy which shipped today - nice service! FWIW, their description notes only 999 CDs were pressed.

Edited by Eric