Sony to release mono Miles Davis set

J.A.W.

I was referring to artefacts that might be the result of the rechannelling of mono recordings into fake stereo by the record companies at the time and also artefacts that can occur when mono recordings are transferred using stereo equipment. Those artefacts - if any - are already there when you feed the signal into your amplifier. And no, I'm not saying that all mono CDs have such artefacts. I know nothing about CDDA files, so I can't answer that question.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They have released some vinyl already and are planning to release the remaining vinyl. But no vinyl in this "box set."

Haven't heard anything about how the vinyl grooves are cut. I would guess in a conventional manner or someone would have been squawking about it.

As far as fake/rechanneled stereo goes, sometimes it collapses well to mono and sometimes it does not, depending on the process that was used. When you fold Capitol Duophonic from the 1950s, it sounds like it is coming from inside a phone booth. Other companies used subtle EQ variations between the two sides, and this latter type often folds just fine.

The price on amazon.co.uk has just increased by a little over £2 to £40.39. Amazon.de price still €43.99. Amazon.com now $115.21.

I wonder what the low point will be. I pre-ordered from the German site.

I made up mind to buy this while reading this thread - the changed it when I saw the price went up since I looked a couple of hours ago. It is just such nonsense.

Must be wonderful for folks with one ear. :-)

Or those with the fetish that already bought everything in it the other 10,000 times they were reissued.

Seriously, has there ever been a record/recordings more reissued than KOB in any genre? What is this, like the 7-10th time in under 20-years?

From the you can't make this up.....they're not even using the mono tapes (they lost them/erased them/recorded over them).....they're mixing down to mono from a 3 channel stereo.

How about this....instead of buying a mixed down mono of something you probably bought 10,000 times....buy something from Nessa Records, or living musicians that could use the money!

Edited by Blue Train

Must be wonderful for folks with one ear. :-)

Or those with the fetish that already bought everything in it the other 10,000 times they were reissued.

Seriously, has there ever been a record/recordings more reissued than KOB in any genre? What is this, like the 7-10th time in under 20-years?

From the you can't make this up.....they're not even using the mono tapes (they lost them/erased them/recorded over them).....they're mixing down to mono from a 3 channel stereo.

Still happy with this?

miles1.jpg