Sony to release mono Miles Davis set

J.A.W.

" 'round about midnight " would be one cover that's hard to improve upon.

still looking for some good feedback on this set, but then again, i suppose we all are. fwiw, i've recently a-b'd all of my five "kind of blue" issues and found the gold sony mastersound issue to come out the clear winner. i find it so warm and rich in detail and quiet, really. would it be unreasonable to hope these share that warm analog quality? are these qualities one wouldn't expect to find in a mono recording?

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Warm" it seems to me is a product of both the original recording and the mastering (and remastering) as is evident from your survey of those you have, you found the Gold cd version to be "warm" and "rich in detail," and "quiet" in comparison to other versions which I guess are less so regarding these characteristics.

I think that more than anything what you will get from this set is going to be a reflection of Mark Wilder's mixing and mastering. If you find his work in general to be "warm" and "analog sounding" then this is likely to carry forward in this set.

I would consider the Sony SACD as my favorite digital version, followed by the Wilder remastered "Deluxe" version. I wouldn't call either "warm" but rather "neutral" sounding as far as masting tonal balance goes. I'm looking forward to these mono discs, I've become a fan of Wilder's work. My earlier stereo system seem to present his work with some brittleness and a bit of harshness but in my recent systems the sound is more like Goldilock's porridge to me, "just right."

I played the entire box set yesterday and today ... not sure what to say, I've got low-fi equipment and ears, but I did a quick a/b on "Sid's Delight" (one of my favourite tracks from all these recordings), as well as on one chance track each from "Miles Ahead" and "Porgy and Bess". I seem to hear the mono as sounding louder (guess what, I might need to move the volume button, but then somebody else would need to adjust WAV and not tell me what I heard for any real comparison anyway), and punchier, while the stereo is kind of opening up spaces, which is something I love. However, the mono is kind of more "in your face" and that's a coo thing, too.

What I do pity though is the absence of the few bonus tracks - like the full Newport set, blues with Philly Joe on "Someday My Prince Will Come" or "Love for Sale" from the 1958 sextet session - they could have added "58 Miles", too, but then that one probably came out way after the mono era ... so did "Jazz at the Plaza" - which had me wonder: was that stuff ever prepared back in the day? If so, they should really have aded it, completing the picture with that better (than Newport) live set - in mono for the first time or whatever, I don't care ... it would just have added to a fuller picture. Same with the outtakes, alt takes etc - I mean, this all being recorded in the mono ear is a point, too, not just released, but then with the original album fetish approach, we're all about released here, so no wonder they didn't go for the fuller picture ... I still regret that a bit, even more so as there would have been room for 2-3 more discs in the box.

Anyway, needless to say I immensely enjoyed listening to all that music!

you're quite right - i do realize that what i'm hearing is a result of the mixing and mastering of the engineer. and of course who doesn't enjoy wilder's work? i'm just so accustomed to hearing most of this material in stereo.

so i take it that the b-side material of 'jazz track' is faithful to the original lp with only three tracks and the remainder of the 1958 sessions is not included. that's somewhat disappointing to me as i would have really enjoyed all of those given a nice mono treatment.

so wait just a second - this material is all completely remixed...? if so, then that's worth the price of a $48.00 admission alone.

... I've become a fan of Wilder's work. My earlier stereo system seem to present his work with some brittleness and a bit of harshness but in my recent systems the sound is more like Goldilock's porridge to me, "just right."

It's also the case that the late nineties Wilder remasters for Sony using SBM like Inner Mounting Flame, Nefertiti were louder and harsher than his recent remasters (2009 onwards) for The Complete Columbia Album series, and special releases like 40th Bitches Brew, etc.

so wait just a second - this material is all completely remixed...? if so, then that's worth the price of a $48.00 admission alone.

I believe only KOB was remixed from three track stereo because the mono tapes are lost.

Edited by erwbol

I think, given what I've read about the box from the label and listeners, that only Kind of Blue is a new mix, the others are the original mono mixes mastered for this edition.

Which is best in my opinion. New mono mixes. . . well they might be great, but the draw for me is to have the mono as originally released and experienced at the time.

And there are those who don't like Wilder's work or aren't crazy about that but I'm sure you know that. :) Takes all kinds in this world.

That's true e, tonal characteristics of his work have changed over the years. I still like the early masterings from him more on my new system than on previous incarnations though.

I think, given what I've read about the box from the label and listeners, that only Kind of Blue is a new mix, the others are the original mono mixes mastered for this edition.

Yes indeed. That's established now, no more need for any rumours, we've had enough for the next three years anyway!

There's a short note by Mark Wilder on each album, where he says something about sources used and what was needed to make them sound as much like the pristine original mono LPs they used as a benchmark.

"Warm" it seems to me is a product of both the original recording and the mastering (and remastering) as is evident from your survey of those you have, you found the Gold cd version to be "warm" and "rich in detail," and "quiet" in comparison to other versions which I guess are less so regarding these characteristics.

I think that more than anything what you will get from this set is going to be a reflection of Mark Wilder's mixing and mastering. If you find his work in general to be "warm" and "analog sounding" then this is likely to carry forward in this set.

I would consider the Sony SACD as my favorite digital version, followed by the Wilder remastered "Deluxe" version. I wouldn't call either "warm" but rather "neutral" sounding as far as masting tonal balance goes. I'm looking forward to these mono discs, I've become a fan of Wilder's work. My earlier stereo system seem to present his work with some brittleness and a bit of harshness but in my recent systems the sound is more like Goldilock's porridge to me, "just right."

The "warmest" sound I get is from my MARANTZ SR 18ex multi-channel and related MARANTZ playback equipment, almost rivals my FISHER 800c tube receiver.

This is true of all the various digital formats but it especially warms up CDs.

The speakers are Klipsch Heresy's

just a footnote that i was able to hear 'kind of blue', 'jazz track', and 'miles ahead' from this set yesterday. not my cup of tea. at all. hearing 'miles ahead' in mono was a truly strange experience.... that having been said, i'll follow the prices for the set on the secondary market and maybe scoop it cheaply someday (i know - how much cheaper can it get?) and maybe re-visit what i'm missing.

I listened to Miles Ahead in stereo (from the Complete Albums Collection) a few weeks ago. It sounded lovely, but sometimes one channel would show a bit of tape damage, then the other. Something you would only notice on headphones. I was hoping the mono tapes showed no such tape flaws.

well, on that score they don't, so you may like what you hear. however, they also don't show any sort of clear focus or real shape to the music. this is for lovers of mono as a concept, i think. if lovers of mono appreciate the focus being placed on the soloist - mission accomplished. otherwise, the overall resolution sounded somewhat dull to me in comparison to the other issues i have. 'jazz track' sounded quite nice, though.

Edited by etherbored

Finally got my set. Listened to the two I don't remember ever hearing in mono before: Kind of Blue and Someday my Prince will Come.

Both sound excellent. Paul Chambers and Bill Evans sound especially nice on Kind of Blue, and the horns are a bit smoother in sound overall.

Finally got my set. Listened to the two I don't remember ever hearing in mono before: Kind of Blue and Someday my Prince will Come.

Both sound excellent. Paul Chambers and Bill Evans sound especially nice on Kind of Blue, and the horns are a bit smoother in sound overall.

Shame that the chair creak on "Old Folks" has gone awol.

• 1 month later...

You're not a strange freak. There's much to enjoy in the stereo mixes!

I like them both, and like having them both, and having all these mono albums expertly mastered in one bang-for-buck set is a really nice thing! Listened yesterday to the "Jazz Track" Sextet sides. . .man the piano sounds so good!

Edited by jazzbo

Sometimes the mixes are better though. I really love the way Bill Evans souns in the mono Jazz Track, the piano sounds more resonant and full. In each of these I find a reason in the mix to really enjoy. . . it's not just that it's 'mono.' But maybe because you love stereo the placebo effect is keeping you from hearing the benefit of the mono. :D