Sony to release mono Miles Davis set

J.A.W.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pre-ordered (from amazon.de, cheaper for me than amazon.co.uk ... but I'll keep an eye open for it to turn up on amazon.it and amazon.fr, pre-order prices tend to vary a bit).

Not sure it's pointless, after all I'm not sure why albums originally produced in mono (with a stereo-mix often created with far less caution, since it was for a smaller market and dubbed less important - at least that's my understanding, up to sometime in the sixties) are usually presented in stereo mixes when they're being reissued on CD.

Anyway, since this is in a cheaper price league than the Dylan Mono box (which I got as well, but I had to pay the custom n***s and it sucked!), I'm in for this.

Must be wonderful for folks with one ear. :-)

... or those with one defective speaker ...

But seriously, I think most mono recordings from the 1950's sound great, but those Columbia engineers made great stereo sound. They're trying to milk the collectors to the last drop.

And they appear to be successful. They wouldn't go on releasing Miles sets if they weren't.

Edited by J.A.W.

Well I have a few beat up copies of a few of these in mono and in my opinion the mix and sound is overall great, I'm looking forward to this. Maybe they are milking the collectors but that's their job to sell records, and this is an interesting way to get more Miles (who sells) out there. And it's not exorbitantly priced especially from amazon europe.

It all depends on the quality of the remastering. I'd have to hear these first before I decide to spend money.

Round About Midnight was a mono recording, right? So that will likely be the same sound as the Complete Columbia Album Collection. And Milestones has just been released as a mono Hybrid SACD by MoFi (together with Round About Midnight).

Must be wonderful for folks with one ear. :-)

... or those with one defective speaker ...

But seriously, I think most mono recordings from the 1950's sound great, but those Columbia engineers made great stereo sound. They're trying to milk the collectors to the last drop.

And they appear to be successful. They wouldn't go on releasing Miles sets if they weren't.

The folks at Sony are at least imaginative, to come up with all of these variations of the same material.

Too bad they aren't imaginative enough to record worthwhile new music and sell it.

Edited by paul secor

I wonder what source they'll use for Kind of Blue. According to Steve Hoffman the mono mastertape does no longer exist.

In this case it wouldn't make much sense, mixing it down to a new mono version. Oh well ..... I have enough Miles in my collection for the rest of my life, anyway.