Speaker's Corner Coltrane "Impressions" sound quality?

1stpress

How is the sound quality on the Speaker's Corner version of Coltrane's "Impressions" (notwithstanding the significant flaws inherent to the master tapes)? Does anyone know who mastered it?

Also, is there is a decent vinyl remaster of Coltrane's "Live at Birdland" out there?

Any recommedations will be greatly appreciated.

To expensive given that I want at least a NM copy. That would sink me well over $100.00 each even in stereo. If it were Elvin Jones or Eddie Harris I'd hunt down a first pressing, but with guys like Coltrane, it's to darn pricey. I don't mind a modern pressing as long as it's well mastered from original tapes. Sometimes they even sound better!

Edited by 1stpress

To expensive given that I want at least a NM copy. That would sink me well over $100.00 each even in stereo. If it were Elvin Jones or Eddie Harris I'd hunt down a first pressing, but with guys like Coltrane, it's to darn pricey. I don't mind a modern pressing as long as it's well mastered from original tapes. Sometimes they even sound better!

Stereo Impulses usually sound better than mono ones. I don't know, I think with a little patience you could get a very nice copy off of ebay for alot less, particularly if you buy a red/black pressing (I can't hear any difference).