Promising development in high-res streaming and d/l from Sony

David Ayers

I'm currently secure ripping my CD collection to FLAC for archiving. Switching primarily to (24bit/192kHz) FLAC files will require new audio equipment I suppose.

The real distressing aspect of this is that these files aren't legally available to music lovers outside of certain localities. Just look at HD Tracks (e.g. Blue Note). The files themselves might not be DRM-ed, but that is a small comfort.

To me, it seems like marketing hype more than anything else, but that's something that has surrounded audio equipment for decades so perhaps one shouldn't be surprised.

Previous statements from Neil Young regarding his new product have revealed that he either doesn't understand the principles behind compressed digital audio or that he's trying to generate interest by making false claims, neither of which serves to strengthen my confidence in this technology.

Guess Neil Young would make a perfect politician then ;)

Just had a look, Qobuz won't sell this stuff to Switzerland ... guess this going digital thing is also a way to force people to buy at ridiculous prices again - iTunes over here is a hoot, I get a real CD form Italy, France or Germany for half the price (and can of course rip it to whatever format I chose ... or if ordering from Germany might even get it in the amazon MP3 player ... though this thread here is about the contrary of MP3).

Sounds to me like the sort of thing that might attract some audiophiles; but it isn't different enough to jump-start the next platform for recorded music. 78s, LPs, CDs, downloads all did something dramatically different to draw in a wider audience. Direct Disc, gold CDs, SACD etc didn't.

Sounds to me like the sort of thing that might attract some audiophiles; but it isn't different enough to jump-start the next platform for recorded music. 78s, LPs, CDs, downloads all did something dramatically different to draw in a wider audience. Direct Disc, gold CDs, SACD etc didn't.

If your goal is a less flawed sound quality, you will often sadly have to resort to Hybrid SACD and 24bit/192kHz FLAC files without being an audiophile. Even if good is good enough, the CDs a lot of labels put out are crap.

Edited by erwbol