Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a list of planned titles (from CD Japan). Confirmed unreleased material in red. The list will be updated as new titles are announced.

Blue Note, the masterworks

2013-10-23

2013-11-20

• Lee Morgan - Lee Morgan, Vol.3 (TYCJ-81026)
  • Bobby Hutcherson - Happenings (TYCJ-81027)
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - The Messengers At The Cafe Bohemia (TYCJ-81028)
  • Jutta Hipp - Jutta Hipp At The Hickory House, Vol.1 (TYCJ-81029)
  • Kenny Dorham - Afro-Cuban (TYCJ-81030)
  • Clifford Brown - Clifford Brown Memorial Album (TYCJ-81031)
  • J.J. Johnson - The Eminent J.J. Johnson, Vol.1 (TYCJ-81032)
  • Paul Chambers - Bass On Top (TYCJ-81033)
  • Horace Parlan - Us Three (TYCJ-81034)
  • Hank Mobley - Dippin' (TYCJ-81035)
  • Jimmy Smith - A New Sound, A New Star: Jimmy Smith At The Organ, Vol.1 (TYCJ-81036)
  • Ornette Coleman - At The 'Golden Circle' Stockholm, Vol.1 (TYCJ-81037)
  • Kenny Dorham - Round About Midnight At Cafe Bohemia, Vol. 1 (TYCJ-81038)
  • Johnny Griffin - Introducing Johnny Griffin (TYCJ-81039)
  • Wayne Shorter - JuJu (TYCJ-81040)
  • Sonny Clark - Sonny Clark Trio (TYCJ-81041)
  • Lee Morgan - The Cooker (TYCJ-81042)
  • Jimmy Smith - The Sounds Of Jimmy Smith (TYCJ-81043)
  • Horace Silver - Song For My Father (TYCJ-81044)
  • Lou Donaldson - Blues Walk (TYCJ-81045)
  • McCoy Tyner - The Real McCoy (TYCJ-81046)
  • Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music, Vol.2 (TYCJ-81047)
  • Thad Jones - Dertroit-New York Junction (TYCJ-81048)
  • Art Blakey Quintet - A Night At Birdland, Vol.2 (TYCJ-81049)
  • Joe Henderson - In 'N Out (TYCJ-81050)

2014-01-22

2014-02-24

2014-06-25

2014-10-22

2014-11-19

• The Incredible Jimmy Smith - Crazy! Baby (UCCQ-5056)
  • Donald Byrd - Free Form (UCCQ-5057)
  • Herbie Hancock - My Point Of View (UCCQ-5058)
  • Hank Mobley - No Room For Squares (UCCQ-5059)
  • Stanley Turrentine - A Chip Off The Old Block (UCCQ-5060)
  • Grant Green - Idle Moments (UCCQ-5061)
  • Hank Mobley - The Turnaround (UCCQ-5062)
  • Larry Young - Into Somethin' (UCCQ-5063)
  • Freddie Roach - All That's Good (UCCQ-5064)
  • Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Indestructible (UCCQ-5065)
  • Stanley Turrentine - Joyride (UCCQ-5066)
  • Grant Green - I Want To Hold Your Hand (UCCQ-5067)
  • Dexter Gordon - Gettin' Around (UCCQ-5068)
  • Freddie Hubbard - The Night Of The Cookers, Vol.1 (UCCQ-5069)
  • Freddie Hubbard - The Night Of The Cookers, Vol.2 (UCCQ-5070)
  • Lee Morgan - Cornbread (UCCQ-5071)
  • Wayne Shorter - Adam's Apple (UCCQ-5072)
  • Lee Morgan - Delightfulee (UCCQ-5073)
  • Lou Donaldson - Alligator Bogaloo (UCCQ-5074)
  • Duke Pearson - The Phantom (UCCQ-5075)
  • Herbie Hancock - The Prisoner (UCCQ-5076)
  • Lee Morgan - The Sixth Sense (UCCQ-5077)
  • Jackie McLean - Demon's Dance (UCCQ-5078)
  • Grant Green - Alive! (UCCQ-5079)
  • Donald Byrd - Etheopian Knights (UCCQ-5080)

2015-03-25

Edited by erwbol

• 1 month later...

Not sure what's "unreleased" here ... certainly the Blue Train and Moanin' tracklist match well-known widely available reissues.

But ... are the "Out to Lunch" alternates new?

6. Hat und Beard (Alternate Take)
7. Something Sweet Something Tender (Alternate Take)
Guess I'd be in for that, but probably the three days window of availabilty will pass before I even notice ;)

There is a second alternate take of Blue Train on the SHM-CD not on the Ultimate Blue Train and RVG CDs. Similarly for the Blakey and Cannonball SHMs. They both have one extra track. The RVG of the Blakey had a short dialogue as track 1, so both the SHM and RVG contain eight tracks, but not the same amount of music.

Edit: Anyway, I just ordered a copy of Out To Lunch from CD Japan. I was hoping for a new 24bit remaster, but this is even better. :)

Edited by erwbol

The high res downloads I have heard recently have trumped all the cd iterations that I have encountered (have not heard SHM Blue Notes however).

Well, they should! :) Especially for the prices they are charging for downloads. Many of us here are still not downloading though.

I'm not buying any of these SHM-CDs though. Now if they were titles newer to cd, maybe.

I have more than enough Blue Note recordings in my collection. I hope that others enjoy these new reissues.

Same here. I'm not buying these recordings over and over again, with the exception of the excellent Kevin Gray-mastered Audio Wave reissues.

Edited by J.A.W.

New Dolphy, especially from the Out To Lunch date, is special enough for me. This gives me the opportunity to see how these SHMs sound. I can compare against the McMaster, BN Works, and HD Tracks download. Based on that I might get Wayne Shorter's Speak No Evil as well.

That, and my Blue Note collection is not nearly as complete as most people's here. I need to know if these are better than the McMasters for certain titles.

If these new alternates are indeed releasable, I find it strange that they have not been considered for any previous reissues. I don't have Cuscuna/Ruppli's Blue Note Discography but would be interested what it says about these takes. Rejected?

I agree. I was told Michael Cuscuna released all the bonus tracks (including alternates) he could find and didn't reject. I do have the first edition of the Cuscuna/Ruppli Blue Note discography and checked the Dolphy date; those two alternates are not listed at all.

Off topic: I installed Internet Explorer 11 on my Windows 7 computer and it won't let me quote any previous posts. It's a nuisance. No quoting problems with Firefox 24, though. Hmm.

Edited by J.A.W.

I do have the first edition of the Cuscuna/Ruppli Blue Note discography and checked the Dolphy date; those two alternates are not listed at all.

I'll wait for a report from an owner of the latest release, but if they are not there it would seem like an inaccuracy of the discography.

If David Weiss is allowed to disclose any info it would be very interesting to hear how these alternates were discovered, if previously hidden or not mentioned.

Edited by Daniel A

I do have the first edition of the Cuscuna/Ruppli Blue Note discography and checked the Dolphy date; those two alternates are not listed at all.

I'll wait for a report from an owner of the latest release, but if they are not there it would seem like an inaccuracy of the discography.

If Michael Weiss is allowed to disclose any info it would be very interesting to hear how these alternates were discovered, if previously hidden or not mentioned.

Someone at Mosaic (don't remember who, but it might have been MC himself) told me years ago there were no bonus tracks left in the Blue Note vaults other than the ones already released or rejected, so I wonder where and how these "new" ones were found.

Edited by J.A.W.