Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wayne Shorter "EtCetera" (LT999 series) will be curious to see how this compares to the old Connoisseur version I have..one of my favorite Shorter records..

+1 one of my favorites as well. Did you end up comparing the LT999 to the Conn CD?

What are thoughts on the 3 Sounds releases in the SHM CD series? Are any of these three titles standouts worth picking up? I'm not familiar with these titles. (Here We Come, Hey There, Black Orchid)

Hey There is surely the best for the money because you also get 10 of 11 tracks issued as Babe's Blues, and holy bleeep, the unissued track from that day's session, "Billy Boy," is a burner. And as a very nice added bonus, there is a quite extended series of fours between Gene and the under-appreciated Bill Dowdy. Superb!

I agree. A wonderful disc this SHM-CD. Cuscuna mentions in his note, that this unissued Billy Boy rec is from the same 8/13/61 session that produces all other tracks from this CD, while the issued version was from a later session (as you may know of course).

Why Michael programmed the insipid "Wait a Minute" instead of "Billy Boy" on the original Babe's Blues is a complete mystery to me.

Wouldn't the "A New Perspective" remaster on HDTracks be identical to the SHM? same sources I thought.

Not identical I don't think. . . they may have originated with the same digital sources, but in mastering for CD the Japanese seem to have altered the EQ and added compression (if you believe a few who have compared both and reported on the 'net; I don't do digital files and haven't heard the HD Track version.) Plus. . . the SHMCD is reduced down to Redbook from the HD files, and that alone should make a sonic difference.

Thanks Lon. Still have the RVG of "A New Perspective", there's so much new music I'm receiving as a reviewer that, I am not really upgrading the Blue Notes anymore. I've lived with "A New Perspective" since I was 8 years old when my mom bought me the really bad DMM LP back then. Those were atrocious, but man did I get exposed to great music.

Thanks Lon. Still have the RVG of "A New Perspective", there's so much new music I'm receiving as a reviewer that, I am not really upgrading the Blue Notes anymore. I've lived with "A New Perspective" since I was 8 years old when my mom bought me the really bad DMM LP back then. Those were atrocious, but man did I get exposed to great music.

CJ, I really like A New Perspective as well, and the SHM-CD sounds better than the RVG. There's an interesting different perspective to this recording, to me it seems that you are supposed to feel you are listening from a pew. This doesn't come off that well on previous cd issues but does come off better in the SHM-CD mastering.

Anybody pick up Blakey's Freedom Rider? I've heard the 1998 CD sounded pretty bad.

I have the new one. It sounds pretty good!

CJ, I really like A New Perspective as well, and the SHM-CD sounds better than the RVG. There's an interesting different perspective to this recording, to me it seems that you are supposed to feel you are listening from a pew. This doesn't come off that well on previous cd issues but does come off better in the SHM-CD mastering.

Anybody pick up Blakey's Freedom Rider? I've heard the 1998 CD sounded pretty bad.

I have the new one. It sounds pretty good!

True, I understand that perspective (pun intended). the RVG is very "live" and in your face by comparison, I will get the HDTracks version to replace it someday, though I'll always keep the physical CD. Love the presentation RVG's had. The SHM's I have (just a few) sounded better than any previous version and are very transparent.

Hi all

Excuse fact this may be something of a newbie post, but as relative beginner to jazz collecting i was wondering if these Blue Note Japanese releases are THE versions to get, was looking to put together a Blue Note set that's fairly definitive, consistent in its sound/look etc, varied in its releases and doesn't involve much repeat buying.

Given there appears to be 230 odd titles and the postings ice read are pretty praiseworthy are these the way to go, plus are some of the titles oop or just out of stock on CD Japan, as do seem to be readily available on ebay etc.

Anyway thanks in advance

Hi all

Excuse fact this may be something of a newbie post, but as relative beginner to jazz collecting i was wondering if these Blue Note Japanese releases are THE versions to get, was looking to put together a Blue Note set that's fairly definitive, consistent in its sound/look etc, varied in its releases and doesn't involve much repeat buying.

Given there appears to be 230 odd titles and the postings ice read are pretty praiseworthy are these the way to go, plus are some of the titles oop or just out of stock on CD Japan, as do seem to be readily available on ebay etc.

Anyway thanks in advance

The nice thing is, this series is very hospitable to English-speaking, non-Japanese consumers. They reprint the original liner notes (in a reasonably-sized typeface, no less), and have a new message, again in English, from Cuscuna. There's never a point when you think they only had Japanese purchasers in mind.

Just watch out for possible import duties to the EU. For example, in the Netherlands, any order with a total item value above €22 incurs import duties of 21% over both the total item value and shipping costs and also a fixed €13 administrative costs. Try to group items accordingly (2 x ¥1000 or 1 x ¥1500 plus SAL shipping). CD Japan orders are more easily intercepted by Dutch customs than some eBay orders due to their elaborate but effective packaging.

Those were just released in Japan today. I pre-ordered some, I expect I'll have them in a week or so. My guess is old transfers, not new ones from the SHM-CD series. Many (most?) of the titles were not in that series.

Edited by jazzbo

Those were just released in Japan today. I pre-ordered some, I expect I'll have them in a week or so. My guess is old transfers, not new ones from the SHM-CD series. Many (most?) of the titles were not in that series.

Are you plugging holes, or taking a chance?

I'm not opposed to having duplicate copies. I'm not sure I'll have much to offer about the masterings other than saying whether they're not new, which seems most likely to me. As I've suffered enough insults from you about my system and what I hear I'm reticent to say much more.