Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

It's not listed there - the 2003 Japanese RVG would be the same as the 1999 US RVG. It's this one:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/ポイント・オブ・ディパーチャー-アンドリュー・ヒル/dp/B002HJ5X7C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1439134187&sr=8-4&keywords=Andrew+Hill+Point+of+Departure

TOCJ-8568. At least, the liner notes of the current reissue are dated 2009, so it must be this one with a new cat#. But the remastering might actually have been done earlier than 2009, as CD Japan's site says this 2009 version is a "priced down reissue" - but of what, I don't know. Anyway, AFAIK the only other Japanese mastering was from TOCJ-4167 from 1994, that would be a 16-bit remaster, and of course it's long o.p.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Japanese text of CD Japan's product description for UCCQ 9168 (the current Finest 1100 reissue of Point of Departure) includes the number 4167 in parentheses.  Is that a clue to the mastering details?

4167 was the original Blue Note catalog number for Point of Departure.

As a matter on interest (to me!)... how does the Andrew Hill Mosaic boxset sound compared to these latest re-issues? I've never re-bought any of his Blue Note albums.

Bump.........

The 1963-66 box? I haven't yet bought Andrew and Compulsion on SHM, but you will definitely want to keep hold of the big box for Smoke Stack and Judgment at least. Both are clearly much better on the Mosaic than the BN Works and RVG reissues. I do like the BN Works of both Black Fire and Point of Departure, but for the other two the rolled off top of the BN Works really showed on these hornless dates. Just like for Speak Like A Child and Happenings compared to the SHMs. A lot missing at the top of the spectrum.

(The Mosaic big box was mastered by Malcolm Addey, like the Mosaic Select 16 and Passing Ships.)

At the other end of the sixties, Lift Every Voice sounds very good on SHM, much better than the lifeless McMaster Connoisseur. One of my most played SHMs. I'd start there.

Edited by erwbol

I'd never gotten around to buying Donald Byrd's Electric Byrd.  After listening to it regularly over the last few weeks via YT, I decided to give the SHM-CD version a try.

I'm looking forward to hearing it. I love the music -- and sound-wise, I'm certain that it'll flog YouTube! ;)

From memory, the piano sounded buried on the Walsh Connoisseur, the two basses kind of muddled. The RVG has ridiculous white hot boosted highs and sounds kind of pumped up in the lower frequencies.

The Mosaic box sounded clear and natural. Piano and basses clearly audible and separate from each other. Like the other two releases were compensating for a problem that wasn't there after all.

All of this from memory as I no longer own the Connoisseur and RVG. I just remember strongly disliking both.

Two questions:

Does the current Finest 1100 edition of Point of Departure (UCCQ 9168) sound noticeably better that the McMaster edition (CDP 7 84167 2, which I quite like)?

Does the current Finest 1100 edition of Unit Structures (UCCQ 9193) sound noticeably better than the McMaster edition (CDP 7 84237 2, which I have never found satisfactory)?

Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

It looks like even some of the last batch of the SHM-CDs may be going out of print.  So, if anyone has a SHM-CD or two on there Christmas list, then they may need to write to Santa now.  (Ironically, I hate how in some shops the end of September is the start of the Christmas season.)  I have noticed that Wayne Shorter's Night Dreamer, for instance, is already unavailable at CD Japan and on the Universal Japan site. (Although, it is available elsewhere - at this time.)  Some of the earlier titles had been around for about two years, so I did find this surprising. 

75th Anniversary festivities are over, so, I guess, no more repressings. In the end I think this will mean the last batch from 2015 will become more rare because fewer discs will end up being made and sold.

Also OOP are Donald Byrd's I'm Trying To Get Home and Joe Henderson's Mode For Joe. Both March 2015 titles.

75th Anniversary festivities are over, so, I guess, no more repressings. In the end I think this will mean the last batch from 2015 will become more rare because fewer discs will end up being made and sold.

Also OOP are Donald Byrd's I'm Trying To Get Home and Joe Henderson's Mode For Joe. Both March 2015 titles.

Yeah, just noticed "Here 'tis" having gone OOP, too ... the Byrd I luckily bought a few weeks ago. I'd wish they'd list those end-of-availability-dates on CD Japan or wherever, it's really difficult to prioritize (the entire Big Band series from Universal seems to be OOP as well - some of the series seem to be OOP almost as soon as they're released, so pre-ordering is the only way to get hold of 'em).

Hi,

This may be of use to some:

I've not used the site myself, but HMV Japan does have some of the titles missing on CD Japan, at the moment.  For instance, Night Dreamer and Here 'Tis.  

(I stick with CD Japan as the cheap postage to the UK helps to keep the price down and aids avoidance of import costs).

Andy

• 1 month later...

It looks like some of the most up to date Blue Note remasters may be about to be released on CD.  I believe the vinyl reissuing was due to run up to this month and CD reissuing appears to be following on from this, if this is correct. Amazon UK (and other Amazon sites, too) are advertising December pre-orders for the titles (or at least most of them, as far as I can see) originally released in the first four months of the vinyl program.  I'm not sure which country/region is actually issuing the CDs as different Amazon sites note that they are 'imports'.

Edit: actually, I've noticed that all of the first 20 releases, baring Somethin' Else, appear to be available: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3Ablue+note%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A382528011&sort=date-desc-rank&keywords=blue+note&ie=UTF8&qid=1447373219 

[There were also Wayne Shorter / Herbie Hancock BN box set released last month, I noticed.  There is no mention whether these are newly remastered or not.] 

Edited by RPF1990

14 hours ago, RPF1990 said:

It looks like some of the most up to date Blue Note remasters may be about to be released on CD.  I believe the vinyl reissuing was due to run up to this month and CD reissuing appears to be following on from this, if this is correct. Amazon UK (and other Amazon sites, too) are advertising December pre-orders for the titles (or at least most of them, as far as I can see) originally released in the first four months of the vinyl program.  I'm not sure which country/region is actually issuing the CDs as different Amazon sites note that they are 'imports'.

Edit: actually, I've noticed that all of the first 20 releases, baring Somethin' Else, appear to be available: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_pg_1?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3Ablue+note%2Cp_n_binding_browse-bin%3A382528011&sort=date-desc-rank&keywords=blue+note&ie=UTF8&qid=1447373219 

[There were also Wayne Shorter / Herbie Hancock BN box set released last month, I noticed.  There is no mention whether these are newly remastered or not.] 

The Wayne Shorter box set does not contain new remasters according to this review in German on Amazon.de. RVGs and even the poor 1987 McMaster of Odyssey of Iska. This does not look good for the CDs you linked to be issued next month.

If you want more of the the new transfers that are the basis for the SHM-CDs, pay a visit to the HD Tracks store. Some of the listed titles are available there (e.g. Total Eclipse). Although you have to live in the greatest country in the history of the universe to be able to purchase them (and I believe use a VPN to even view them when browsing from the UK). For everyone else there is (Russian) bittorrent.