Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

On 10/12/2017 at 6:34 PM, Late said:

On December 6 (2017), 50 Blue Note SHM-CDs will be back in the catalog again. No images on the Universal site yet. It's a chance to pick up titles that were missed the first time around in 2014.

Some additional Lee Morgan SHM-CDs were reissued 1 November. Two new SHM titles are Live at the Lighthouse 1970 and Taru. New transfer and mastering similar to the 75th anniversary discs for Lighthouse? Taru same as BNLT999 series from 2012 or new transfer and mastering?

Further, new Caramba! SHM same as 2010 24bit mastering? 

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCQ-3008?s_ssid=e3706459ff8ded4304

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TOCJ-8689?s_ssid=e3706459ff8ded4304

and what about the new Standards SHM?

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UCCQ-3004?s_ssid=e3706459ff8e0bc816

On 10/25/2017 at 3:55 PM, Daniel A said:

I still find it hard to keep track of the different releases and re-releases. As an example I'll take Bobby Hutcherson's 'Happenings'.

TYCJ-81027 [SHM-CD] was released on Nov 20, 2013. That was the original BN75 release.

UCCU-99154 [CD] was released on Sept 30, 2015. I assume that was not the same mastering as the excellent BN75 release.

UCCU-5700 [SHM-CD] was released on Sept 28, 2016. Did it have the same mastering as the TYCJ release?

UCCQ-9233 [SHM-CD] - yet another version released on Dec 14, 2016. I assume this a re-release of the RVG CD, judging from the item description on CDJapan. 

Any thoughts? 

UCCU-99154    Low-priced editions. Excluded bonus tracks. Old recycled pre-2013 24bit masterings. (Non-RVG, I believe.)

UCCU-5700    Likely same mastering as 75th anniversary SHMs. All titles previously in 75th anniversary series. The Milt Jackson and Thelonious Monks from this series (UCCU-5678~80) contain the same tracks and have similar track order. Different from RVGs. Out To Lunch from this series (UCCU-5669) contains the two previously unissued takes from the 75th anniversary SHM.

UCCQ-9233 RVGs for the first (and last?) time on SHM as stated on CD Japan.

----------------------------

More importantly, will we get a series with titles not previously given the 75th anniversary SHM treatment for Blue Note's 80th anniversary in 2019? If so they could start the festivities fall 2018 like they did in 2013.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 hours ago, erwbol said:

More importantly, will we get a series with titles not previously given the 75th anniversary SHM treatment for Blue Note's 80th anniversary in 2019? If so they could start the festivities fall 2018 like they did in 2013.

That'd be nice. I've really enjoyed the 75th anniversary series. I wonder who did the remasters?

Some titles, off the top of my head, that I'd like to see:

• Freddie Hubbard: Blue Spirits (with any potential additional tracks from "The Melting Pot" session)

• Dizzy Reece: Star Bright

• Bobby Hutcherson: Components

• Bobby Hutcherson: Patterns

• Bobby Hutcherson: Total Eclipse

• Jackie McLean: Hipnosis (with maybe a track or two from the rejected 1968 session?)

• Dexter Gordon: Clubhouse (with original Japanese King cover)

44184002_m.jpg

Andrew Hill's first four albums

Cecil Taylor's two BNs

A second volume of Sonny Rollins at the Village Vanguard

Art Blakey Buhaina's Delight

Ready for Freddie

Anthony Williams Life Time

Dexter Gordon Our Man in Paris

Jackie McLean Let Freedom Ring; Destination Out; One Step Beyond

Edited by erwbol

4 hours ago, Late said:

• Bobby Hutcherson: Components

• Bobby Hutcherson: Total Eclipse

These are big on my wishlist. 

Another one that i regularly check for is Blue Mitchell's Down With It. Used to have the RVG but foolishly traded it back in the day when i used to do a lot of trading. Keep looking to repurchase but It's deep in 'CD-R on demand' territory now... 

Keep an eye on ebay. . . I recently got the 24 bit TOCJ release of this (non RVG) sealed for 13 dollars and free shipping. Sounds good and priced right. It may show up again, some titles in this series of TOCJ releases have been on ebay lately between 10 and 18 dollars total, sealed.

Edited by jazzbo

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Keep an eye on ebay. . . I recently got the 24 bit TOCJ release of this (non RVG) sealed for 13 dollars and free shipping. Sounds good and priced right. It may show up again, some titles in this series of TOCJ releases have been on ebay lately between 10 and 18 dollars total, sealed.

Cheers, will keep an eye out. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kevin Bresnahan said:

I thought Blue Note's 13 track "complete" version of this date sounded pretty good for what it was. It's just an OK location recording. The best remastering in the world isn't going to fix that.

I missed out on that 3 CD set, so I'm happy with this new release.