Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse SHM-CD (UCCQ-3009)

First impressions: Not the same mastering as the 1996 3CD set. The SHM is less muddy, more of Roker's and DeJohnette's drums, pleasant cymbals sheen at the top. No excessive compression, bit higher levels, still crankable. Recommended.

Edited by erwbol

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, erwbol said:

Lee Morgan Live at the Lighthouse SHM-CD (UCCQ-3009)

First impressions: Not the same mastering as the 1996 3CD set. The SHM is less muddy, more of Roker's and DeJohnette's drums, pleasant cymbals sheen at the top. No excessive compression, bit higher levels, still crankable. Recommended.

Interesting. What about the liner notes and graphics?

2 hours ago, Dmitry said:

Interesting. What about the liner notes and graphics?

Liner notes Japanese only, no date provided. Layout tracklisting and back artwork about the same as for previous BN SHM-CDs. Tracklisting page mentions  & Ⓒ 1996.

Whatever this is, does not sound like 1996 3CD set, BN Works (TOCJ), RVG, or highly compressed Japanese 24bit mastering from 00s to me.

Edited by erwbol

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2015 at 10:27 PM, Rooster_Ties said:

BTW, the alternate of the title track from Mode For Joe was a real eye-opener for me.

Maybe I was just overly used to the 'original' - but this tune, which is fairly sparse (and almost feels through-composed) -- really shines in this new (alternate) incarnation.

Since I think(?) all these BN SHM's are back out again (with a few that have otherwise unreleased bonus tracks), I just thought I'd point out that I thought the alternate take of the title track from Mode For Joe continues to be a real revelation for me -- and perhaps even surpasses the 'original' (i.e. the far better known released version).

Well worth plunking down for, imho, if anyone's ordering some other titles in this series.

Anybody else concur??  Meaning specifically about this track.

3 hours ago, erwbol said:

I just noticed the SHM-CD contains only two tracks from the original 2 LP set ( https://www.discogs.com/Lee-Morgan-Live-At-The-Lighthouse/release/1938710 ): Beehive and Nommo.

SHM-CD

1. Introduction by Lee Morgan
  2. Beehive
  3. Something Like This
  4. Speedball
  5. Nommo
  6. The Sidewinder

Vinyl

1. Absolutions
  2. The Beehive
  3. Neophilia
  4. Nommo

What a pity - (IMO) the four tracks from the original LP selection were the strongest ones ....

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, soulpope said:

Via here

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/newrelease/jazz/index.html?month=2017-12

you can recheck monthly jazz releases in Japan .... as if December 6th, 2017 a bunch of Blue Note SHM-CD`s was released ....

Thanks a lot! Ordered Lee Morgans Lighthouse, Don Cherry’s Wheres Brooklyn and Tyner’s Expansions :)

• 1 year later...

Well, I guess the dust has pretty much settled after this exciting flurry of Japanese Blue Note CDs.

I had "retired" from getting re-re-re-issues, but since about 2011,  that has changed a lot.

I now have all of the CDs with previously unissued tracks. Took a lot of online searching.

I am absolutely thrilled with the "new" take of "Mode For Joe". The originally issued take (which is just before the "new" take 20) is, of course, superb. I got the LP in about 1970, and would never have expected another version of the title track - which is a modal piece in E flat. The groove (pulled along by Ron Carter, who only plays quarter notes during the solos) is captivating. I even can't resist playing along with it - on my clarinet, which I didn't use much in the days of tenor and soprano saxophone only and loud drummers. Joe's quotes are so hip: opens with "The March Of The Siamese Children" (after making you wait); later, he quotes the counterpoint from "I Hear Music But There's No One There", and a bit of "Scotch And Water" (the famous Joe's Avenue composition, lol).

It is not right that these previously unissued tracks lurk in increasingly rare Japanese CDs, with seriously increasing prices. Blue Note U.S. could put together a 2-CD set of the "new" tracks. I did the arithmetic. To make it possible, I would issue a separate CD with all the tracks from the two "Blue John" (Patton) sessions, including the two tracks that Michael Cuscuna was unable to fit onto the Japanese CD, which runs about 77 minutes. I love the "Blue John" album. The previously unissued tracks have a totally different vibe from the ones on the original album, but they make up a tasty album on their own.

So, let us lobby U.S. Blue Note. I know that Blue Note U.S. is not much interested in physical product, but you never know.

Now that Michael Cuscuna is gone from Blue Note (he told me that himself), you aren't going to see any more unissued tracks. So treasure what there is.

I got all the Three Sounds CDs, and am very pleased with the sound. There are several tracks that are hard to find.

It was also great to have the two Stanley Turrentine albums, "The Look Of Love" and "Always Something There", on well-mastered CDs (I have the vinyl). The cast on those is nothing to be ashamed of. There is room on earth for these albums as well as Art Blakey.

I loved the "new" "Trouble #2" alternate. What a groove. Both takes are great.

Edited by Shrdlu

14 minutes ago, Shrdlu said:

I got all the Three Sounds CDs, and am very pleased with the sound. There are several tracks that are hard to find.

Do you know what tracks in particular are new? I know the issue of the Babe's Blues date had an unissued track, and at one time there was a JRVG that had two new tracks, I think that was It Just Had To Be. I have those two issues but now wonder if I missed another Japanese reissue that had unissued Sounds tracks?

OK I think I figured it out.  It Just Got To Be and Here We Come came from a two-day session.  When the JRVG came out of It Just Got to Be, two unissued tracks came out - "The Girl Next Door" and "This is The Way 'tis". 

Now for the SHMs apparently Michael took those two orphans and put it on the other disc from those sessions, Here We Come.  

so if there are only three unissued tracks from the SHM reissues of Sounds material then I've got them all. Thanks to God though I was kinda hoping to use some Christmas loot to overspend for a track or two. :g

It is time-consuming to chase up all the Three Sounds tracks. The recent Japanese CDs do not correspond to the (few) U.S. CDs by the trio. The game plan changed over the years. It is even harder to find out what is really previously unissued.

I have a plan to re-arrange the 1958-1962 Three Sounds tracks in session order. The unissued tracks are almost entirely on the October 8, 1959 , February 4, 1962 and June 27, 1962 sessions.

The "Blue Note Works" CDs, plus the recent Japanese issues, provide a lot of tracks.

For anyone who hasn't heard them, check out "Things Ain't What They Used To Be", on the "Moods" album. It is incredibly slow (shades of Basie's "Lil' Darlin' ").

• 1 year later...

Found this information on Discogs:

Blue Note 75th Anniversary reissue series (230 titles) in five numbered parts. All (*) titles featured new 24bit 192KHz remastering, and several included bonus tracks. * UCCQ-5128 (Lonnie Smith: Move Your Hand) is the one exception, reusing an earlier 24bit RVG master.

• Part 1 (50 titles, dark blue obi) was issued October 23, 2013 (TYCJ-81001~81025) and November 20, 2013 (TYCJ-81026~81050) and was selected based on ranking in a 2013 vote.

• Part 2 (50 titles, red obi) was issued January 22, 2014 (TYCJ-81051~81075) and February 26, 2014 (TYCJ-81076~81100) and was selected from later 4000 series titles. Forty of the fifty titles were receiving their first CD release in Japan.

• Part 3 (30 titles, black obi) was issued in one batch on June 25, 2014 (UCCQ-5001~5030) and was selected from titles that were unissued at the time of recording. The first selection featured those designated a catalogue number in the 1500 and 4000 series but not issued until years later. The second selection featured titles from Japan's King Records' GFX series of unissued recordings, with their original LP art reinstated. The third selection featured titles discovered during the EMI years of Blue Note's revival. Ten were issued for the first time on CD in Japan.

• Part 4 (50 titles, pale blue obi) was issued on October 22, 2014 (UCCQ-5031~5055) and November 19, 2014 (UCCQ-5056~5080) as was selected from popular titles in the 4000 series that featured in the 2013 vote but did not make the top fifty.

• Part 5 (50 titles, burgundy obi) was issued in one batch on March 25, 2015 (UCCQ-5081~5130) and selected more obscure titles from the 4000 series, including five issued for the first time on CD in Japan. 

In December 6, 2017, fifty titles from the series were reissued in a "final repress" with new obis and catalog numbers. See Blue Note, The Masterworks, Top 50

=====================

Titles from this series are really hard to find nowadays. 

• 11 months later...

I am looking at the second edition of Cuscuna/Ruppli but that is not much help. Takes have come out in the past in Japan that are not shown in the discography (Out To Lunch, Unity...). So anything new will probably be a surprise.

For Leeway, Cuscuna had tried to find a Cal Massey piece called Come Let Me Love You By The Sea, chiefly based on the fact that it was copyrighted on the same day as the other two. Nothing turned up. The piece is probably the same as Lookin' For Someone To Love, recorded by Shepp.

For the Rumproller, there is a rejected Desert Moonlight from the earlier date that yielded Venus di Mildew.

For the Gigolo, there are three rejected tracks from the first session that yielded Trapped: The Gigolo, Yes I Can, No You Can't and A Stitch In Time. Might be something there.

For Cornbread, three rejected tracks from the day before: Most Like Lee, Ceora, Our Man Higgins. Alto out on Ceora. I believe this was not specified in the first edition and may have been added because I asked Michael about it.

And for Sixth Sense, three tracks from the 9/13/68 session. Will the new management pull a 'Just Coolin' and release them? Who knows.

Edited by bertrand

2 hours ago, bertrand said:

The Sixth Sense could theoretically have the other 3 tracks from that other session, but I doubt it.

It doesn't seem so. The description has "+3" in it, which usually means that it has three bonus tracks compared to the original album. 

8 hours ago, bertrand said:

For Leeway, Cuscuna had tried to find a Cal Massey piece called Come Let Me Love You By The Sea, chiefly based on the fact that it was copyrighted on the same day as the other two. Nothing turned up. The piece is probably the same as Lookin' For Someone To Love, recorded by Shepp.

Cuscuna once told me that he searched the tape archive and never found the session tapes for the "Leeway" recording date. He said that all that's in the vault is the LP-sequenced master tape.

He even said something along the lines that it was one of the biggest disappointments after he got access to the tape vaults.

8 hours ago, bresna said:

Cuscuna once told me that he searched the tape archive and never found the session tapes for the "Leeway" recording date. He said that all that's in the vault is the LP-sequenced master tape.

He even said something along the lines that it was one of the biggest disappointments after he got access to the tape vaults.

15 hours ago, Daniel A said:

It doesn't seem so. The description has "+3" in it, which usually means that it has three bonus tracks compared to the original album. 

So if tapes are not in the vaults, where are they?

Speaking of Lee-way — can someone remind me of the story behind how it’s the only Lee BN album recorded during the window when he otherwise was recording leader-dates for Vee-Jay and Jazzland (with non-BN dates both before and after).

I used to know all these ins and outs of the label — but most of them I haven’t thought of much in the last 10 years, and have either forgotten, or only vaguely remember now — though I was more steeped in this stuff circa 1995-2010.