Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thank you! you're right - we usually think of compilations being more disparate in what they present.

by the by, does 'take off' reproduce original lp covers?

This (above) is post #689 (which I was directed to above) -- and nothing I'm seeing about Unity, let alone the Unity bonus material.

Searching within this thread on "Unity" didn't turn up anything specific either (that I could see/find).

Nothing in the 2001 edition of the Cuscuna-Ruppli book either (which I do own).

Nor half-a-dozen Google searches for the last 15 minutes.

Any specifics that someone could point me too would be greatly appreciated, re: the specific bonus tracks to be included on this new, expanded reissue of Unity. Many thanks!!

I can tell you that the Unity outtakes I've heard are as spectacular in their energy as they are sloppy in their execution.

The record as released was perfect, but if I was hearing the band live, I think I'd be more buzzed about hearing it like is on the alternates. But that's why records and live are so often - and so often correctly - two different propositions.

Yes, I really want to hear those alternates too Jim, because they certainly seem like as is the case with the alternates of the Second Quintet contain elements of difference that are worth hearing. I always felt that way about "Fuchsia Swing Song" alternates of "Blues Downstairs, Upstairs", the differing approach and feel to each one is wonderful.

I can tell you that the Unity outtakes I've heard are as spectacular in their energy as they are sloppy in their execution.

The record as released was perfect, but if I was hearing the band live, I think I'd be more buzzed about hearing it like is on the alternates. But that's why records and live are so often - and so often correctly - two different propositions.

Can't wait! Some more raw/energetic/sloppy delight with Woody Shaw is the Andrew Hill session with Sam Rivers from disc #3 of the Hill BN Select. And lord knows there are spots in some of Larry Young's latter BN leader-dates that were kinda rough, but spectacular for their energy ("Contrasts" especially).

Between a greatly expanded "Unity", and also "Out To Lunch" -- some of this is turning into a real and surprising wealth of new and important material.

Just killed 30 minutes of my lunch hour doing Google searches using the modern catalog numbers of the new SHM issue of Unity, i.e...

Catalog No. UCCQ-5049 JAN/ISBN 4988005850881

That did bring up a whole bunch of other Japanese websites that have the title listed, and I then cut-n-pasted the Japanese string of characters (in Japanese) for what appeared to be the phrase "Unity + 4" into Google, and that brought up even MORE Japanese-only sites...

...a few of which had track-listings (with Japanese titles), but only for the regular 6 tunes on the original release (none of the bonus tracks were specifically listed).

Eventually some of these search techniques might bring up something useful (and I figure it's not hard to then see what the bonus tracks are, even if they're listed in Japanese only) -- but, for now at least, the info doesn't appear to be out there yet (not even in Japanese). There are plenty of translators online, or the characters will probably just match the regular titles (if they are just alternates, which I'm sure they probably are).

Can't wait! Some more raw/energetic/sloppy delight with Woody Shaw is the Andrew Hill session with Sam Rivers from disc #3 of the Hill BN Select. And lord knows there are spots in some of Larry Young's latter BN leader-dates that were kinda rough, but spectacular for their energy ("Contrasts" especially).

Between a greatly expanded "Unity", and also "Out To Lunch" -- some of this is turning into a real and surprising wealth of new and important material.

Let me put it this way - Elvin sounds like he's about three feet high off the floor, and Joe is right there with him. Woody not quite as much, but the whole thing sounds like a band just back from a really good break, if you know what Imen.

Let me put it this way - Elvin sounds like he's about three feet high off the floor, and Joe is right there with him. Woody not quite as much, but the whole thing sounds like a band just back from a really good break, if you know what Imen.

I believe this description from J was (to me) the final "marketing kick" to purchase the forthcoming SHM-CD.....and as it`s release date is not too far away from X-mas, I`ve found already a reasoning for said acquisition :Nod:

It's been a while since I've heard them, but I recall my very first reaction, I mean, a cold first listen, was damn, Elvin, don't hurt nobody! And then Joe started and I was like, oh shit, it's gonna be like THAT. And it pretty much was!

It was all Elvin's fault, that much I still remember.

I feel sorry for Alfred Lion, having to decide do i want a perfect record that will entrance generations to come or a sloppy one that will scare the shit out of people but still kick everybody's all day all kinds of ass.

Thank god, his quandary is finally being resolved. At last he can rest in peace.

At least until the angels say, hey Al. what about that Tyrone Washington train.rec.music.bluenote.thing, what about that?

Fame is cheap. True greatness comes at a cost.

• 3 weeks later...

some good stuff coming up ...

Freddie Roach - Brown Sugar

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UCCQ-5046

Freddie Roach - All That's Good

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UCCQ-5064

Art Blakey - Free for All (+ 1 - what would that be?)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UCCQ-5047

Wayne Shorter - Super Nova

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UCCQ-5054

Larry Young - Unity (+ 4 here - again, those are new alternates I assume?)

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UCCQ-5049

there are many more, but I did some "manual" digging and those are the ones that ended up in my wantlist ...