Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't think it has appeared in an audiophile form. Of the two US releases, the two versions I've heard, I prefer the RVG but I know many do not like RVGs.

Has "A New Perspective" ever gotten an audiophile treatment? What is the preferred digital version?

HDTracks has it:

http://www.hdtracks.com/a-new-perspective

I like TOCJ 4124.

Thanks!

Clicking through some of the CD Japan links, I noticed that titles from the first wave of Blue Note SHM-CDs are now out of print.

post-282-0-28943800-1421341369_thumb.jpg

That didn't take long. But it appears that they're being replaced by "reduced price" non-SHM versions that likely have the same remastering.

This afternoon I noticed Blue John from last summer is also on '2 to 4 weeks.' I only know the original Blue John through YouTube, but the album does not click for me. Dull. The kind of organ date that doesn't appeal to me. Perhaps the much talked about bonus tracks are better.

The Prestige 7000 series SHMs are also slowly disappearing.

Clicking through some of the CD Japan links, I noticed that titles from the first wave of Blue Note SHM-CDs are now out of print.

attachicon.gifoop.jpg

That didn't take long. But it appears that they're being replaced by "reduced price" non-SHM versions that likely have the same remastering.

Guess the jig if finally up on the "super high material" scam. At least they'll still offer the remastered material for purchase.

SHM is surely the last gasp of CD technology. The idea that you have to a special material to offset just some of the errors that are introduced when transferring from the optical disc to a reader which then 'corrects' (i.e. glosses over) in real time some of the remaining errors - well, nobody is going to pretend that is the best way to play a data file any more. So after SHM, nothing, I predict. But these SHM discs are cheap and the CD issues of the same mastering will be cheaper still, so...

As far as I know, if there is an error then that's that. The zeroes and ones are either read, or no sound is produced where they should have been.

The SHM scam says if you have a clearer coating the laser will be able to read the information better. It's like saying if I used distilled water rather than tap water, I'll quench my thirst more efficiently.

Edited by Scott Dolan

I don't think that anyone is particularly enthusiastic specfically about the actual SHM thing, it's more about the same thing that makes people interested in any other reissue: the hope for a better mastering and being able to get albums that you've always wanted that were previously OOP. I've bought a few and i don't even know what SHM is (apart from what i literally just read in the above few posts).

Not much written here about the "Plenty of good music" out there. There are over 800 posts on this thread alone - all about the repackaging of old music. Most of what's written on Organissimo is about old music.

See this very recent thread: I bought the Steve Lehman and Anna Webber titles based on the recommendations.

It might be old music, but I'm not familiar with the whole BN catalog, unlike most old timers who have all this stuff on good sounding LPs, so easy talking about ignoring these SHMs.

With regard to new music, I used to buy more new jazz music a decade ago. Perhaps this will change again when I can allocate the funds. For now, my priorities are a new amp & speakers and not missing out on these BN reissues and certain Mosaics that are on my wish list.

There are over 800 posts on this thread alone - all about the repackaging of old music.

But that's what this thread is about — the opportunity for reissue nerds to nerd out!

I try to approach both old and new music with enthusiasm. I love the sound of these new SHM-CDs on my system; I'm hearing "old" music anew. As far as "new" music, just today I used a new (old?) medium (YouTube) to watch a full Steve Coleman performance from 2010 and Hiromi performance from 2012. I thought to myself: if I have the opportunity to attend a concert by either artist, I probably will. Both shows were thoroughly enjoyable.

Not much written here about the "Plenty of good music" out there. There are over 800 posts on this thread alone - all about the repackaging of old music. Most of what's written on Organissimo is about old music.

See this very recent thread: I bought the Steve Lehman and Anna Webber titles based on the recommendations.

Although that thread only has two pages versus the 28 here (granted this thread was started in Sept. 2013) :)

I also bought several (well more than several) CDs from the 2014 thread. I kind of have the Blue Note stuff figured out :smirk: and really appreciate all the new music discussion. This is especially true given we don't get a bunch of those folks coming through KC.

Edited by Eric