Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As for SHM being a hoax, I can attest to the fact that when ripping these CD:s to a computer with a software like EAC, which reads every frame multiple times until there is consistent data for a given number of consecutive reads, the ripping is generally faster than for the majority of common CD:s. This seems to indicate that there are fewer read errors from SHM CD:s. As a CD player only gets one chance to get it right a common CD theoretically puts more strain on the error correction circuit.

To what extent this difference is perceptible I don't know, and it doesn't matter much to me. However, I'm happy with the remastering of the SHM series.

David's point about optimal playback of digital files is of course valid. Strange as it may seem, having these pieces of plastic shipped from Japan is still the only option of having some of this music in uncompressed 16/44 in this part of the world, though. (Not to mention the bonus tracks of this series, which I believe that the "common" CD reissues with the same mastering are missing.)

(Not to mention the bonus tracks of this series, which I believe that the "common" CD reissues with the same mastering are missing.)

That was also my conclusion.

SHM

regular CD

And the regular CD is already out of print only three months after its October 2014 release date.

Cdjapan very often shown titles as oop, while they are still readily available elsewhere;

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Sonny-Clark_000000000002020/item_Cool-Struttin-24bit-Rmt_5508885

The regular CD is oop also at hmv.

As for SHM being a hoax, I can attest to the fact that when ripping these CD:s to a computer with a software like EAC, which reads every frame multiple times until there is consistent data for a given number of consecutive reads, the ripping is generally faster than for the majority of common CD:s. This seems to indicate that there are fewer read errors from SHM CD:s. As a CD player only gets one chance to get it right a common CD theoretically puts more strain on the error correction circuit.

You are falling into a common misconception about CD error correction. It's an error correction algorithm that is applied to every bit that is read from the CD all the time. There is no strain on the error correction circuits because they aren't working harder, they're working the same as if the CD had no errors. The bits go through error checking circuitry and if a bit needs to flip, it's flipped. If it doesn't need to be flipped, it isn't. There is no additional circuitry needed to flip these bits.

You are falling into a common misconception about CD error correction. It's an error correction algorithm that is applied to every bit that is read from the CD all the time. There is no strain on the error correction circuits because they aren't working harder, they're working the same as if the CD had no errors. The bits go through error checking circuitry and if a bit needs to flip, it's flipped. If it doesn't need to be flipped, it isn't. There is no additional circuitry needed to flip these bits.

Not sure about this. Yes a CD player has a 'circuit' but a PC? When I use EAC it takes much longer to process tracks requiring significant correction.

What's the difference between a CD player in a standalone casing, and a CD player in a PC?

And EAC has absolutely nothing to do with error correction. Error correction is done by the optical drive hardware. CD drives don't have the option of saying, "gimme a sec".

Lastly, unless the disc is dirty and/or scratched, there will no significant data errors.

Edited by Scott Dolan

Sorry for not presenting it correctly. What I meant was that there's a limit to what the error correction can "guess" from missing/faulty bits. I didn't mean that the circuitry was literally under pressure. Whether the SHM/non-SHM difference is enough to ever make a real (audible) difference I don't know, but I doubt it (which is why I added "theoretically"). What I have observed, though, is that the SHM CD:s seem to be easier to read for the CD-ROM drive.

Edited by Daniel A

And EAC has absolutely nothing to do with error correction.

I'm not sure I get your point, but that's probably my fault.The reason I brought up EAC was that the ripping time is affected by how difficult a disc is to read, and that I have observed a general difference in ripping time between scratch free CD:s and SHM CD:s I've ripped.

EAC takes longer to read problem data. That is because it keeps going back over it to get a correct reading. Can't help with the rest but that's just a fact.

If it's a fact, then you should have no problem providing data for the rest of us to study.

Until then, it is either perception or opinion.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/cd-ripping-software-roundup_Page-4

I can only assume you've never used EAC or you'd certainly have noticed.

That's not what I said, is it Scott? Why not just thank me for the link and for explaining what EAC does? If you read any account of EAC you will see that is how it works. If you use it you will see it do just that. It shows the speed of the rip and the percentage of success. Daniel is satisfied his SHM CDs ripped cleanly and quickly. Not all do, as you would know if you used it. That means they are well-manufactured. That's it. No-one is trying to 'prove' anything to you.

I've seen the speed of my rip on every single piece of software I've ever used to do so. From Nero all the way to iTunes.

As I stated before, which you obviously missed, most CDs rip quickly and cleanly, while some don't. I really don't care what program you are using.

Believe it or not, EAC didn't create ripping, nor does it have the market cornered.

You previously said: "EAC takes longer to read problem data. That is because it keeps going back over it to get a correct reading. Can't help with the rest but that's just a fact."

A fairly ridiculous statement as it pertains to every CD ripping program ever created. Again: every CD ripping program ever created. It's why some discs rip quickly, and others don't.

Edited by Scott Dolan

No-one here has endorsed SHM except to say that these SHM CDs seem to be good quality.

As far as I can gather, there has been a lot of work on the industry to improve the quality and durability of the CD material over the years. You think that is basically wasted effort, that's fine. When SHM was sold at a premium price, as SACD once was and occasionally still is, then it was logical to resist, as the likelihood of any SQ improvement was disappearingly small. But now they are sold so cheaply what different does it make? It remains the only way to obtain these new masters until the same masterings are re-issued as lower price standard CDs, which will also be fine, for sure. And these remasterings are good.

These SHMs cost less than $13 a shout. If to you that's a 'scam' then it is. To others it is just a bit of inexpensive fun, nothing to get exercised about.

No, the price is reasonable these days. I have absolutely no quarrel with that.

My problem was with you and Daniel insinuating that SHM CDs rip easier, so therefore they are more error free than standard CDs. Well, you seem to be insinuating it, but Daniel has explicitly stated it. Now, if that wasn't your intent and I am completely misreading your statements, I apologize. That's on me.

I guess the other confusing aspect being that you stated that EAC takes longer to read "problem data" as though that was an issue exclusive to EAC. That's the way all ripping software works. Now, as to the WHY, I've read many different reasons, but have never found consensus. I mean, why can I pull out a random disc and get a 20x rip while another gives me a painfully slow 4x rip? Hell, I had a three disc set where two of the discs ripped in a flash, and the third chugged along for nearly ten minutes!

Very bizarre. But certainly observable on any audio ripping program.

Edited by Scott Dolan