Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

Has anyone done a comparison of the two SHM Joe Henderson "State Of The Tenor 1 & 2" to older releases

I know these are not part of the "Classic Blue Notes" series but I think this reissue has been mentioned here

considering upgrading my mid 90's doubletime release - this sounded quite good IMHO (for the time) but are the SHM's that much better? - It's a pity they didn't add more unreleased titles from these live sessions (there are plenty)

BTW I've been buying the earlier Classic SHM BN's from HMV Japan - they have them at a reduced prices, as low as 1200 yen at times (with their frequent special offers)

AFAIK all of the titles since the first series are still available at HMV Japan

I ve purchased the SHMs of State of the Tenor and will compare with the double 90s set - I ll let you know when they arrive and be played. Wonderful sets.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Has anyone done a comparison of the two SHM Joe Henderson "State Of The Tenor 1 & 2" to older releases

I know these are not part of the "Classic Blue Notes" series but I think this reissue has been mentioned here

considering upgrading my mid 90's doubletime release - this sounded quite good IMHO (for the time) but are the SHM's that much better? - It's a pity they didn't add more unreleased titles from these live sessions (there are plenty)

BTW I've been buying the earlier Classic SHM BN's from HMV Japan - they have them at a reduced prices, as low as 1200 yen at times (with their frequent special offers)

Yes, they sound stellar. Much improved.

from post #34

and

I have not posted to this thread, but have been following it for some time.

Finally decided to place an order yesterday for a bunch of Blue Note SHM-CDs from CD Japan.

Which titles?

These are the ones I have ordered. If I like them as much as I hope I do, I will probably order some more.

Monk, Vol1

Monk Vol.2

Art Blakey - Free For All

JJ Johnson Vol.1

Sonny Clark My Conceptiopn

Tina Brooks True Blue

Ike Quebec Easy Living

Hank Mobley Roll Call

Sonny Rollins Vol.2

Jackie McLean Quintet

Larry Young Unity

I know these notification message are of no value, but I cannot resist to celebrate with you the simultaneous arrival of 4 beautiful packages from CdJapan containing 29 cds in total. Among them the following BN SHM ones:

TYCJ-81024 Sonny Rollins / Sonny Rollins Vol.2 [sHM-CD] CDA 1500yen Released: October 23, 2013
TYCJ-81025 Thelonious Monk / Genius Of Modern Music VOL.1 [sHM-CD] CDA 1500yen Released: October 23, 2013
TYCJ-81047 Thelonious Monk / Genius Of Modern Music Vol.2 [sHM-CD] CDA 1500yen Released: November 20, 2013

TYCJ-81068 Elvin Jones / Poly-currents [sHM-CD] CDA 1500yen Released: January 22, 2014
TYCJ-81073 Lou Donaldson / Cosmos [sHM-CD] CDA 1500yen Released: January 22, 2014
TYCJ-81082 Jackie McLean / Bout Soul +1 [sHM-CD] CDA 1500yen Released: February 26, 2014
TYCJ-81084 Eddie Gale / Eddie Gale's Ghetto Music [sHM-CD] CDA 1500yen Released: February 26, 2014
TYCJ-81092 Reuben Wilson (Org) / Blue Mode [sHM-CD] CDA 1500yen Released: February 26, 2014

UCCQ-5055 Ronnie Foster / Two Headed Freap [sHM-CD] [Limited Release]CDA 1500yen Released: October 22, 2014

TOCJ-50274 Grant Green / Solid [Limited Low-priced Edition] CDA 951yen Released: July 25, 2012
TOCJ-50284 Grant Green / Nigeria [Limited Low-priced Edition] CDA 951yen Released: August 22, 2012
UCCQ-5013 Grant Green / Matador [sHM-CD] [Limited Release] CDA 1500yen Released: June 25, 2014
UCCQ-5015 Grant Green / Gooden's Corner [sHM-CD] [Limited Release] CDA 1500yen Released: June 25, 2014
UCCQ-5019 Grant Green / Oleo +1 [sHM-CD] [Limited Release] CDA 1500yen Released: June 25, 2014
UCCQ-5079 Grant Green / Alive! +3 [sHM-CD] [Limited Release] CDA 1500yen Released: November 19, 2014

Also, although this note may not belong to this BN thread, the above Grant Green w. Sonny Clark and Elvin Jones flood was supplemented, among other, with the Grassella Oliphant's "The Grass is Greener" CD (from the JAZZ BEST 1000 series) that also features Green with Patton and Hutcherson as well. WPCR-27387 Grassella Oliphant / The Grass Is Greener [Limited Release] CDA 952yen Released: July 24, 2013

Edited by Alexandros

Yes, they sound stellar. Much improved.

from post #34

and

many thanks

Same here. Still waiting for Amazing Bud Powell Vol. 2, Jazz Messengers at Cafe Bohemia Vol.2, Ornette Coleman Golden Circle Vol.2, and a second disc of Rollins' A Night at the Village Vanguard, but I haven't given up hope.

Edited by erwbol

March 25, 2015

UCCQ 5081 Dizzy Reece: Blues In Trinity +2

UCCQ 5082 Freddie Redd: Music From The Connection

UCCQ 5083 Freddie Hubbard: Open Sesame +2

UCCQ 5084 Tina Brooks: True Blue +2

UCCQ 5085 Freddie Redd: Shades of Redd +2

UCCQ 5086 Duke Jordan: Flight To Jordan +2

UCCQ 5087 Kenny Dorham: Whistle Stop

UCCQ 5088 Lou Donaldson: Here ‘Tis +1

UCCQ 5089 Donald Byrd: The Cat Walk

UCCQ 5090 Stanley Turrentine: Dearly Beloved

UCCQ 5091 The Three Sounds: Here We Come +2

UCCQ 5092 Jackie McLean: A Fickle Sonance

UCCQ 5093 Sonny Clark: Leapin’ & Lopin’ +2

UCCQ 5094 Ike Quebec: Heavy Soul +1

UCCQ 5095 Donald Byrd: Royal Flush

UCCQ 5096 The Three Sounds: Hey There +10

UCCQ 5097 Don Wilkerson: Preach Brother!

UCCQ 5098 Donald Byrd: A New Perspective

UCCQ 5099 John Patton: Along Came John

UCCQ 5100 Blue Mitchell: Step Lightly

UCCQ 5101 Johnny Coles: Little Johnny C

UCCQ 5102 Herbie Hancock: Inventions & Dimensions +2

UCCQ 5103 Joe Henderson: Our Thing +1

UCCQ 5104 The Three Sounds: Black Orchid +6

UCCQ 5105 Art Blakey: The Freedom Rider +3

UCCQ 5106 Lee Morgan: Search For The New Land

UCCQ 5107 Freddie Hubbard: Breaking Point +2

UCCQ 5108 Wayne Shorter: Night Dreamer +1

UCCQ 5109 Grachan Moncur III: Some Other Stuff

UCCQ 5110 Kenny Dorham: Trompeta Toccata

UCCQ 5111 Donald Byrd: I’m Tryin’ To Get Home

UCCQ 5112 Joe Henderson: Inner Urge

UCCQ 5113 John Patton: Oh Baby!

UCCQ 5114 Bobby Hutcherson: Dialogue +1

UCCQ 5115 Andrew Hill: Andrew! +2

UCCQ 5116 Sam Rivers: Contours +1

UCCQ 5117 Tony Williams: Spring

UCCQ 5118 Andrew Hill: Compulsion

UCCQ 5119 Don Cherry: Complete Communion

UCCQ 5120 Joe Henderson: Mode For Joe +1

UCCQ 5121 Ornette Coleman: The Empty Foxhole

UCCQ 5122 Jack Wilson: Something Personal +1

UCCQ 5123 Booker Ervin: The In Between

UCCQ 5124 Lonnie Smith: Think!

UCCQ 5125 Donald Byrd: Slow Drag

UCCQ 5126 Grant Green: Goin’ West

UCCQ 5127 Lonnie Smith: Turning Point

UCCQ 5128 Lonnie Smith: Move Your Hand +1

UCCQ 5129 Donald Byrd: Electric Byrd

UCCQ 5130 Marlena Shaw: Marlena

Are all of these brand new 2014 transfers from the analog source tapes?

Thanks - anyone have a full list of all the Blue Note SHMCD retransfers issued thus far?

I owned a Japanese TOCJ (maybe a 1990s transfer) of Donald Byrd's "I’m Tryin’ To Get Home." I remember this CD sounding quite awful -- like it was sourced from a multigenerational damaged copy. It will be interesting to hear if this new SHMCD is a dramatic improvement.

I'm also tempted to pick up Green's Goin West -- as the RVG CD of that title was heavily compressed.

Same here. Still waiting for Amazing Bud Powell Vol. 2, Jazz Messengers at Cafe Bohemia Vol.2, Ornette Coleman Golden Circle Vol.2, and a second disc of Rollins' A Night at the Village Vanguard, but I haven't given up hope.

checked my cdjapan account over the weekend, and that order is partly "locked" - I can't cancel either of the 2007 "Hickory House" discs any more - so I assume they did get them (but are holding them for one other item that's part of the order is not around yet, might in fact never come around) - as I'm no audiophile, I'm fine with the 2007 editions, if they come through, who knows ... I'm having four or five open orders right now, re-grouped them several times after getting delivery estimate updates etc - it's all a bit complicated it seems (some of those Sony reissues are keeping orders back, too ... still waiting for the Blue John Patton with all the bonus tracks, ordered two or three months ago, it really borders on the ridiculous)

Strange. In my experience they contact you and give you the opportunity to cancel an item if it is not available after 9 days or so. They even do this for orders payed for with PayPal (normally no cancellation or regrouping allowed after completion). I keep orders small (one or two items) in order to avoid customs.

Yup, I found it strange as well - just crossing my fingers that they will deliver, since I really want actual CDs of these finally, and just as really don't care much about which version I get.

I ignored some of those mails initially, assuming they'd come through eventually, but then got a cancellation (of two items releases in mid November, ordered in December - and I was already too late, how ridiculous is that?), so I re-combined the Patton with other items, only to get another round of delay notification mails on these items, so I kept re-combining ... now it's the two Columbia Earl Hines ones that hold the Patton back from being shipped, but I'd really love to have those, so I let that order run. I cannot cancel those either anyway, status is "processed", so I guess they're just slow in actually sending them out.

Gee, one does need at least a bachelor's degree to understand cdjapan, doesn't one? ;)