Classic Blue Notes on SHM-CD

David Ayers

I find this website a bit confusing.... several cds I looked at do not indicate out of stock, but at the bottom of the listing it has a box to "notify me when back in stock" or some such language.... I guess that means out of stock?

When it says "unavailable" right next to the item it means that it can't be (pre-)ordered from them yet. When you tick the "notify me when back in stock" box and give them your e-mail address they'll let you know when it's available.

I was looking at Henderson's State of the Tenor cds - I do not see "unavailable" next to the items and I see they came out months ago and yet it says further down below the item "notify me when back in stock"

I do not get it... what am I missing?

Thanks

I clicked on the link you posted and the discs on that page were marked "unavailable". When you search for Joe Henderson's State of the Tenor on their site you will find that 2 of the 3 discs listed (2 of them Japanese) are in stock and ship "within 24 hours", the other one in "5 to 10 days" - I guess that's the one with the "notify me when back in stock" box when you try to order it.

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find this website a bit confusing.... several cds I looked at do not indicate out of stock, but at the bottom of the listing it has a box to "notify me when back in stock" or some such language.... I guess that means out of stock?

When it says "unavailable" right next to the item it means that it can't be (pre-)ordered from them yet. When you tick the "notify me when back in stock" box and give them your e-mail address they'll let you know when it's available.

I was looking at Henderson's State of the Tenor cds - I do not see "unavailable" next to the items and I see they came out months ago and yet it says further down below the item "notify me when back in stock"

I do not get it... what am I missing?

Thanks

I clicked on the link you posted and the discs on that page were marked "unavailable". When you search for Joe Henderson's State of the Tenor on their site you will find that 2 of the 3 discs listed (2 of them Japanese) are in stock and ship "within 24 hours", the other one in "5 to 10 days" - I guess that's the one with the "notify me when back in stock" box when you try to order it.

thanks...

it is just confusing to state ships in 5 to 10 days and then also a notify me when back in stock

I just picked up five of the January issues from Dusty Groove:

Sam Rivers - A New Conception

Larry Young = Of Love And Peace

John Patton - That Certain Feeling

Don Cherry - Where Is Brooklyn?

Reuben Wilson - On Broadway

All of them have a paragraph of notes from Cuscuna and most have vintage photos under the back tray, No info (in English anyway) on remastering. The OBI also included this link which has details on the issues in the series. Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned in this thread:

http://um-llc.jp/masterworks/

Nice series. They sound very nice and there are a number of titles never issued on CD (others only by Mosaic).

Edited by Eric

Now I have to wonder if the new reissue of New York Is Now will reinstate the original (and intended) overdubs for "We Now Interrupt For A Commercial" ... ?

To answer my own question — yes, the new TYCJ has the original Mel Fuhrman overdubs. The disc (I received it this weekend) also has a much wider soundstage than the 1989/90 edition that Malcolm Addey worked on. Both sound good — I'm not going to ditch the 1990 disc.

I've always loved Dewey Redman's entrance on "The Garden of Souls" — creepy, and who else has ever played like that? On the new TYCJ, you can hear finer details on how he's achieving that weird sound; soundstage-wise, it "appears" from the top-center, and fairly descends through Elvin's drums. Bizarre, in the best of ways. I think I like how Elvin's drums were handled better on the Addey edition, however, but maybe I'm just hearing how they were originally recorded.

The TYCJ's I've heard so far aren't too loud. (They are louder than McMasters.) They (the TYCJ's) compare quite closely with the Blue Note XRCD's I've heard. At times, horns sound too aggressive to me (on the TYCJ's), but I think that's because I'm so used to listening to the Blue Note Works TOCJ's. While I'm enjoying this new series, I won't be abandoning my TOCJ's. For my system and preferences, they're probably still my favorite.

But, agreeing with comments above, the Monk TYCJ's sound good, and are a considerable improvement over the RVGs. In contrast, I prefer the Miles Davis TOCJ's to their new TYCJ counterparts.

I don't know if any of this helps board members here. My impressions of this new series so far are positive. The artwork is being carefully handled (it's much finer than the TOCJ artwork) — one example is that the TYCJ of New York Is Now! brings back the color artwork that was on the back of the original LP. Nice touch! The inner photos (some of them entirely new to me) are also nicely presented. The bonus tracks are great.

I hope this series adds at least another 100 titles.

Now I have to wonder if the new reissue of New York Is Now will reinstate the original (and intended) overdubs for "We Now Interrupt For A Commercial" ... ?

To answer my own question — yes, the new TYCJ has the original Mel Fuhrman overdubs. The disc (I received it this weekend) also has a much wider soundstage than the 1989/90 edition that Malcolm Addey worked on. Both sound good — I'm not going to ditch the 1990 disc.

I've always loved Dewey Redman's entrance on "The Garden of Souls" — creepy, and who else has ever played like that? On the new TYCJ, you can hear finer details on how he's achieving that weird sound; soundstage-wise, it "appears" from the top-center, and fairly descends through Elvin's drums. Bizarre, in the best of ways. I think I like how Elvin's drums were handled better on the Addey edition, however, but maybe I'm just hearing how they were originally recorded.

But, agreeing with comments above, the Monk TYCJ's sound good, and are a considerable improvement over the RVGs. In contrast, I prefer the Miles Davis TOCJ's to their new TYCJ counterparts.

I hope this series adds at least another 100 titles.

Your comments regarding Love Call prompted me to dig it out. I always liked this session a lot. I note in the liners to the 1990 issue that it was remixed from 4 track. I wonder what was used for the TYCJ, a further remix, the same 1990 mix or the original LP masters.

Your comments regarding Love Call prompted me to dig it out. I always liked this session a lot. I note in the liners to the 1990 issue that it was remixed from 4 track. I wonder what was used for the TYCJ, a further remix, the same 1990 mix or the original LP masters.

That's a good question. The TYCJ of New York Is Now! sounds like a different mix to my ears, but I don't know. Addey didn't pan the horns out as much (if I'm using the terminology correctly). The TYCJ is very much stereo, if you know what I mean. It's nice to have both editions to go back and forth with. I could be off here, but Addey's edition sounds more neutral over all.

I bought the Addey editions of both discs (New York is Now! & Love Call) in 1990 — now almost 25 years ago! Hard to believe. The music hasn't aged a bit. One of the perks of re-purchasing a title (read: here comes the rationalization) is checking it out all over again, and re-connecting with the music. I remember buying those discs for the first time — along with the Elvin Jones Lighthouse discs — and scratching my head and loving them simultaneously.

This TYCJ series — according to Google Translate — is being compiled by Michael "Kusu-kuna" and "Whereabouts" Hitoshi.

Just finished listening to the TYCJ of The All Seeing Eye. This is the third time I've purchased this title — first, the 1994 Larry Walsh Connoisseur ed., then the RVG, now the TYCJ. I must say — the re-purchase was worth it. I think this was a well-recorded session to begin with, but rarely (in my opinion) did Rudy get the drums so right. The TYCJ brings a new dimension to Joe Chambers' drums — in particular, the toms. You can "hear" the wood more readily now, if that makes sense. This new edition also has considerable dynamic range — if there is any EQ-ing or compression, it was tastefully handled. Shorter's tone is gorgeous on this outing; the TYCJ would seem to push it considerably up-front (maybe a little mid-range boosting?), which is not going to be to everyone's taste, but I think (i.e. assume) this is in the original recording. Anyway, if you're a fan of this record, you'll probably like this new Japanese edition. For me, Al Shorter's composition — and Wayne's solo on his brother's tune — is the record's highlight. I wish Wayne would have recorded more — a whole album? — of his brother's work.

Next up — A New Conception ...

that's good to hear. it's on its way to me, along with 9 others;

shorter: 'odyssey of iska'

turrentine: 'the look of love'

pearson: 'now hear this'

wilson: 'on broadway'

hill: 'grass roots',

jones: 'polycurrents' and 'genesis'

donaldson: 'cosmos'

humphrey: 'flute in'

Edited by etherbored

It just occurred to me that about 50% (maybe slightly more?) of the Elvin Jones Mosaic is now part of this SHM-CD series — as individual titles. Not a bad way to get to hear (some of) those sessions.

A few pages back in this thread, mention was made of Larry Young's Unity. I wonder if that title is forthcoming in this series (if, indeed, the series itself is forthcoming). I have Contrasts on pre-order, but passed on Of Love and Peace.

What titles would you like to see in this series? I'm especially interested when a new title in this series doesn't have a TOCJ predecessor. And I also like that this series isn't (so far) weighted toward the classic Blue Note hardbop menu (as great as that is).

It just occurred to me that about 50% (maybe slightly more?) of the Elvin Jones Mosaic is now part of this SHM-CD series — as individual titles. Not a bad way to get to hear (some of) those sessions.

A few pages back in this thread, mention was made of Larry Young's Unity. I wonder if that title is forthcoming in this series (if, indeed, the series itself is forthcoming). I have Contrasts on pre-order, but passed on Of Love and Peace.

What titles would you like to see in this series? I'm especially interested when a new title in this series doesn't have a TOCJ predecessor. And I also like that this series isn't (so far) weighted toward the classic Blue Note hardbop menu (as great as that is).

you read right into my order. i missed the jones mosaic, so i'm making up for it where i can with this series.i passed on 'of peace and love' and will snag 'contrasts' next month as well.

between the LA and LT series as well as all the other prior series (RVG, works, et al), how many other titles haven't been available on disc before? since this is blue note's 75th anniversary year, they may also go way back to the early years as that was a prior series that seems to have some and gone fairly quickly over a decade ago, meaning that those titles haven't been available for some time.

I found the recent SHM dsd reissue of Eric Dolphy's "outward bound" to be outstanding sound-wise as well. I'll have to buy "the all seeing eye"...have the RVG edition but it would be nice to hear this edition.

ah - thanks for reminding me of that! i *must* pick that up. it was my first dolphy as a teenager and the title by which i judge all others...

That's a good question. The TYCJ of New York Is Now! sounds like a different mix to my ears, but I don't know. Addey didn't pan the horns out as much (if I'm using the terminology correctly). The TYCJ is very much stereo, if you know what I mean. It's nice to have both editions to go back and forth with. I could be off here, but Addey's edition sounds more neutral over all.

I bought the Addey editions of both discs (New York is Now! & Love Call) in 1990 — now almost 25 years ago! Hard to believe. The music hasn't aged a bit. One of the perks of re-purchasing a title (read: here comes the rationalization) is checking it out all over again, and re-connecting with the music. I remember buying those discs for the first time — along with the Elvin Jones Lighthouse discs — and scratching my head and loving them simultaneously.

This TYCJ series — according to Google Translate — is being compiled by Michael "Kusu-kuna" and "Whereabouts" Hitoshi.

The highlight of Google Translate has to be from the Warner Japan Series as The Jazz Modes - The Most Happy Fella album is translated as

"Jazz Morse - Most Happy Blow Job"

http://wmg.jp/jazz1000/index_05.html

Since this is blue note's 75th anniversary year, they may also go way back to the early years as that was a prior series that seems to have come and gone fairly quickly over a decade ago, meaning that those titles haven't been available for some time.

You mean this series?

A fantastic, and hugely overlooked, Japanese reissue series.

My wish list would have to include any titles from Jackie McLean, Bobby Hutcherson, Andrew Hill, Don Cherry, and Grachan Moncur III that have not been issued on XRCD which I feel is the only other digital format which sounds as good as these issues.

I have an audiophile friend who owns nearly all the 45rpm blue note reissues and I must confess those sound the best of all but this series (and the xrcds) come awfully close and I can't be bothered with changing a record every 10 mins.

Since this is blue note's 75th anniversary year, they may also go way back to the early years as that was a prior series that seems to have come and gone fairly quickly over a decade ago, meaning that those titles haven't been available for some time.

You mean this series?

A fantastic, and hugely overlooked, Japanese reissue series.

yes - that's it. wouldn't it be just like a series like this to take a historical look back, maybe?

ether, I ordered these:

shorter: 'odyssey of iska'

hill: 'grass roots',

jones: 'polycurrents' and 'genesis'

donaldson: 'cosmos'

Laton, I'd love to see the Hodes and Bechet titles to be honest, those would be my frist choices.

like me, you probably have them in one form or another but you want to have them in as close to a reference form as possible.

just because i'm a nut for it, i'd be curious to see what SHM could bring to grant green's 'goin' west'. i highly doubt it'll be in this series, but stranger reissue decisions have been made. but one thing is for certain - they can't continue with many more installments before they begin to repeat material made available within the past 5 years or so.

Edited by etherbored

like me, you probably have them in one form or another but you want to have them in as close to a reference form as possible.

That's true of a few of these. I no longer have the Elvin Jones Mosaic, and these and some from Japan a few years ago are getting me close to having them all again, in better sound.

I want to hear Isaka and Grass Roots in this new mastering, and I just have a beat up lp of Cosmos.

abn40003%20070.jpg

Perhaps this series could bring these three men back into the catalogue.

I've never seen that rear cover. Though I own the LP I bought it without the sleeve. I assumed that someone had for some reason stolen the cover from the store or that it was lost. I now realise that it had been destroyed as an act of mercy - either that or the store owner realised he would never sell the LP with the sleeve on....

Edited by David Ayers