Which LP do you play the most often?

mikeweil

Volume 1 of The Jazz Messengers at Cafe Bohemia. I have the Lexington version of this album and it must have played thousands of times. Still get kicks from listening to the LP. I also have the RVG of this but the sound of that vinyl is how I discovered that music and this is how it should sound to my ears.

The LP that I play the most often [in fact, it's playing now] is "Dixieland Classics" on JazzTone.

Like most of the JazzTone releases, this one is a compilation and the lineup of artists reads like this:

Muggsy Spanier

Bobby Hackett

Pee Wee Russell

Max Kaminsky

Georg Brunies [sic]

Mel Powell

Jack Teagarden

Eddie Condon

Fats Waller

Miff Mole

Bud Freeman

Jess Stacy

Not to be ignored, this collection also has George Wettling on drums, Artie Shapiro on bass, Shoeless Joe Jackson on clarinet, George Berg on tenor sax, Norma Teagarden on piano and Joe Caruso on the tracks on which George Wettling wasn't on drums.

This is pure, passionate, fun Dixieland.

Love it almost as much as my "Dixieland, Chicago Style", which was originally on vinyl, but a friend kindly cut a CD of the copy I had, also on JazzTone, before I had a turntable, so it doesn't count for our purposes.

B-3r, I also have the Jimmy Smith/Wes Montgomery collection you mentioned, but on a CD I downloaded. FABULOUS!!! Every time I go to my vinyl emporium, I check the Jimmy Smith slot and, so far, it's always empty. Drat. :blink: I guess I'm not the only one looking for Jimmy on vinyl.

Edited by patricia

Over the years it's been Abdullah Ibrahim/Carlos Ward Live At Sweet Basil, Coleman Hawkins The high And Mighty Hawk and The Hawk Flies High, Wynton Kelly Kelly Blue, and more recently Air Air Lore and Serge Chaloff Blue Serge. Partly 'cos I love 'em, partly 'cos they don't hurt Helen's head like a hundred dogs(though Air Lore tries her patience a bit).

Edited by David Williams

All I knew about "Shoeless Joe Jackson", from a music standpoint is that he played marvelous clarint with Mel Powell's Dixieland Orchestra. I sort of made a sports connection, but only periferilly, not [gasp] being a baseball aficionado.

According to the liner notes, this was a pseudonym used by Benny Goodman on this February 1942 date.

The track was "The World Is Waiting For The Sunshine".

So, I gather that Goodman simply took the name of the baseball player, who was with the baseball team, involved in the fixing of the World Series.

As far as I know, the baseball player wasn't a musician too. :blink:

My favourte tracks on the record are two by Bobby Hackett, George Brunes, Pee Wee Russell, Bud Freeman, Eddie Condon, Jess Stacy and Artie Shapiro, with George Wettling on drums, which is a jam session on which they play "Carnegie Drag" and "Carnegie Jump" recorded in 1938. The other is Eddie Condon's Jazz Band playing "Oh Sister, Ain't That Hot?" and "Dancing Fool" recorded in 1940.

George Wettling is one of my very favourite drummers of all time and he is featured on all but two of the tracks on this record. On two of the tracks, Kansas Fields and Joe Caruso do the honours. Great stuff.

This is fabulous Dixieland!!!!

Edited by patricia

• 7 months later...