Black Saint and Sinner Lady: Analogue Prod. or Speakers Corner?

1stpress

I do not have the Speakers Corner version, I have the AP 45 rpm and a first pressing RVG cut. The AP reissue is clearer with better instrument separation. It is worth it if you don't own it on vinyl.

I don't own it on vinyl, I've actually never heard it all the way through. After having it recommended to me I listened to a bit of it on YouTube and it seems amazing. What little research I've done into Mingus suggests that this may be his best album.I rarely shell out $50 for the 45rpm, it has to be a real masterpiece. That being said, I don't want to waste the money on a CD or inferior vinyl if this record is of one those masterpieces.

A few years ago I did a quick comparison between the APO hybrid SACD's CD layer and the 1990s digipak CD reissue that was mastered by Erick Labson, and to my ears the former swept the floor with the latter: it sounded much more musical, with a better tonality, not at all harsh, which was one of my problems with the Labson remaster. If the APO vinyl version (which I've never heard) sounds about the same, I can recommend it wholeheartedly, though I can imagine that having to turn the records every 10 minutes or so is a nuisance.

Edited by J.A.W.