Organissimo at the Smithsonian - October 17, 2013

BeBop

This concert is part of the monthly Take 5 series for which I am a volunteer. We've put together some great programs so far: Lee Morgan, Dewey Redman, 'Cool Yule', Wayne Shorter (Vee-Jay years), Kenny Dorham, Grachan Moncur III, Pepper Adams (with 3 baritones), Bud Powell, Weather Report (Shorter's compositions), Shirley Horn, and just last week, Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement.

I am really touched by the efforts of all the great DC musicians who worked very hard to put some great programs together: Donvonte McCoy, Brian Settles, Sarah Hughes, Brad Linde, Elijah Jamal Balbed, Mike 'Bags' Davis, Corey Wallace, Frank Basile (from NYC), Tim Whalen, Harold Summey, Andrea Wood, and Nasar Abadey.

There are many more great concerts in store, if you are in DC. It's always on the third Thursday of the month.

Bertrand.

• 1 year later...

As posted elsewhere, organissimo had to be postponed thanks to Ted Cruz and John Boehner, but will be playing next Thursday 5/21 (finally!).

The Take 5 series has been really going strong, and I am having a blast putting these programs together. In September, the Army Blues will do big band arrangements of Herbie Nichols music. Not something you see everyday!

Bertrand.