If you could only have one Mosaic box...

bogdan101

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'd like to say

The complete Lionel Hampton Decca sessions

but since that wasn't and won't be issued, I'll say

boxcoverjpg.jpg

The complete Lionel Hampton Victor sessions - some of the most joyful music I've ever heard.

(But I'd still prefer the Decca stuff, because it's more commercial.)

MG

My selection is based on the consideration of what is available elsewhere. I'll choose the Elvin Jones box. And, among the Selects, I'll take the small group Charles Tolliver. On pure musical terms, the Blakey, Larry Young, and J-Mac boxes would be key for me, but that's almost all available elsewhere, so I didn't hold onto those.

Edited by felser

I had more than a dozen big boxes and 25 or so Selects. I had to sell them all due to financial problems so I'm living this thread!

The one Select I did keep was the Carter-Bradford. I really miss the Randy Weston and would like that back most of all.

If I could get one of the big boxes back, it'd be the Tal Farlow.

I would give the T-Bone Walker some thought. I couldn't live without that music in some form or another.

But the Capitol/B&W sides can be got, and so can the Imperials. Though I agree 100%. I haven't got the Mosaic. Am I missing anything?

MG

No. The Mosaic is exactly the complete Capital/B&W and the Imperials. A lot of that was not available at the time that the Mosaic set was released. That is the case for quite a lot of classic Mosaic sets - they made available great music that only later became readily available elsewhere. I had never even heard of Tina Brooks when the Mosaic came along and blew my mind. Now, many people who have all the Blue Note CDs are not even aware that there was a Tina Brooks set.